PDA

View Full Version : Bike Locks

sevencyclist
10-10-2013, 11:28 AM
What are your favorite bike locks?

Local store is recommending Abus which is new to me. Anyone used their folding type lock?

AngryScientist
10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
totally depends on the application.

MattTuck
10-10-2013, 11:35 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137676

That thread didn't get much attention, but it seems like the Bike+ system has some potential. Reality is that a thief can get through pretty much any lock if they really want the bike. The solution then seems to be about maximizing the probability of recovering the bike if it is stolen.

Richard
10-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Interesting article about bike locks:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

sevencyclist
10-10-2013, 11:57 AM
totally depends on the application.

Used for my son to ride a 11 year old but very nice hardtail mountainbike (Seven titanium frame with 952 XTR parts and Chris King wheelset) to high school and to college next year. Will be left outside.

Practicality is needing the lock to be easy to carry and use. Teenagers are not inclined to remove wheels and do a five steps chaining. I have installed locking skewers for the wheelset and installed old beat up front fender and rear racks to disguise the bike.

DRZRM
10-10-2013, 11:58 AM
I almost never lock my bikes where I can't see them, but for running into a store or my kid's school, I use a Master Lock Street Cuff. Allegedly slower to pick or cut than most locks.

plattyjo
10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137676

That thread didn't get much attention, but it seems like the Bike+ system has some potential. Reality is that a thief can get through pretty much any lock if they really want the bike. The solution then seems to be about maximizing the probability of recovering the bike if it is stolen.

I just read about this today and will be following it closely!

Also, I find two u-locks (secure rear wheel through triangle and front wheel to frame/secure object) works best. While thieves can get through any lock, if you make it more difficult - they'll more than likely move on to another bike (like one with a cable).

johngmartin
10-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Wirecutter has a pretty comprehensive review of some bike locks:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

The "sources" at the bottom links to even more content, if you are still craving more after this review...

druptight
10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
The Sweethome (wirecutter) article is pretty interesting. I appreciate the POV of actual thieves, gives you some insight into the minds of the small time and bigger time thieves.

kevinvc
10-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I found the Sweethome article very interesting and entertaining. But, while I can't find the link right now, there is a video I saw recently showing someone easily cutting through the TiGr lock with standard garden shears. Apparently some buyers are pretty upset at the manufacturer over some false claims they made regarding it's resistance to snipping.

I've found a 2 U-lock or single U-lock with cable for the front wheel to be very effective. Make sure the locks are small enough that they don't allow much room for a tire jack or other leverage tool.

As has been repeated over and over, it's impossible to protect your bike from a determined and knowledgeable thief. The goal is to make it more time consuming to steal than other bikes around it for the opportunity driven thief.

druptight
10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
As has been repeated over and over, it's impossible to protect your bike from a determined and knowledgeable thief. The goal is to make it more time consuming to steal than other bikes around it for the opportunity driven thief.

^This

modernfuturist
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
there is a video I saw recently showing someone easily cutting through the TiGr lock with standard garden shears. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8YoT9Q9VA)

Fixed

Oregonic
10-10-2013, 05:42 PM
...(Seven titanium frame with 952 XTR parts and Chris King wheelset) to high school and to college next year. Will be left outside...

Wow, I'd hate to leave that outside. I'd guess it's security will depend on whether it's a bike town or not. If bikes are really popular in that region (don't know where the school is) thieves will be more familiar with Seven, XTR, or CK... I'd say you're taking a pretty big risk, but that's just my opinion. Why not buy something cheap and beat to leave outside and save that bike for the trails?

zmudshark
10-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Used for my son to ride a 11 year old but very nice hardtail mountainbike (Seven titanium frame with 952 XTR parts and Chris King wheelset) to high school and to college next year. Will be left outside.

Practicality is needing the lock to be easy to carry and use. Teenagers are not inclined to remove wheels and do a five steps chaining. I have installed locking skewers for the wheelset and installed old beat up front fender and rear racks to disguise the bike.

Take a tip from member AaronO here, and take off the Seven decals and put Huffy/Magna decals on it

Anarchist
10-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I have used the Abus lock in question for a while. I use it for those random stops on the way home. So far my bike has not been stolen. I think one of the benefits to that lock is that there are no round parts so it makes it very difficult for someone with a pair of bolt cutters.

A determined thief with a grinder and diamond wheel could probably get through it, but I don't leave my bike for the long.

bargainguy
10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Take a tip from member AaronO here, and take off the Seven decals and put Huffy/Magna decals on it

...or do what my son-in-law's GF did when I got her a good deal at the LBS: Wrap the bike entirely in duct tape. I'm not kidding. Got her the C-dale, which was purple, and the next time I saw it, solid gray, every inch of frame.

thwart
10-10-2013, 08:25 PM
very nice hardtail mountainbike (Seven titanium frame with 952 XTR parts and Chris King wheelset) to high school and to college next year. Will be left outside...

I'd be shocked if it made it through this school year. Desirable bikes like that just shouldn't be locked up outside, out of sight for any extended period of time. No matter the lock(s) used...

He really needs a different 'everyday' bike.

sevencyclist
10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Wow, I'd hate to leave that outside. I'd guess it's security will depend on whether it's a bike town or not. If bikes are really popular in that region (don't know where the school is) thieves will be more familiar with Seven, XTR, or CK... I'd say you're taking a pretty big risk, but that's just my opinion. Why not buy something cheap and beat to leave outside and save that bike for the trails?

The problem is the amount I would get from selling this bike is actually not as much as all the parts added up to represent. 952 XTRs and Chris King are nice, and while it works perfectly, no one really would pay much for it used.

A used Seven frame with V brake does not get much either. The nice $700 Magura fork is not worth much when used. So I figure, the cost of buying another lesser bike is equivalent of what I would get out of this.

SlackMan
10-10-2013, 08:57 PM
The problem is the amount I would get from selling this bike is actually not as much as all the parts added up to represent. 952 XTRs and Chris King are nice, and while it works perfectly, no one really would pay much for it used.

A used Seven frame with V brake does not get much either. The nice $700 Magura fork is not worth much when used. So I figure, the cost of buying another less bike is equivalent of what I would get out of this.

Based on my experience at four different universities, I agree with what some others have said--no way would I lock that bike on a university campus and expect it not to be stolen. Why not just buy him a $150 old bike from Craigslist? Heck, our university just had a sale of "surplus" abandoned bikes for $35 each. Many of them were quite rideable for the distances one rides around a campus.

dbrown
10-11-2013, 09:05 AM
...or do what my son-in-law's GF did when I got her a good deal at the LBS: Wrap the bike entirely in duct tape. I'm not kidding. Got her the C-dale, which was purple, and the next time I saw it, solid gray, every inch of frame.

You did a favor for your son in law's girlfriend? Am I missing something about this relationship?

jr59
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Just spray can it a rust color. Make it look old and crummy!

Oregonic
10-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Based on my experience at four different universities, I agree with what some others have said--no way would I lock that bike on a university campus and expect it not to be stolen. Why not just buy him a $150 old bike from Craigslist? Heck, our university just had a sale of "surplus" abandoned bikes for $35 each. Many of them were quite rideable for the distances one rides around a campus.

To the OP, I certainly understand that you might not get a lot selling the Seven, and I usually like the idea of just using what you've got. I was just thinking along the lines of the quote above, though. Buy an old (functional) beater Schwinn for $150, use it for 5 years or whatever, and sell it for $100.

On the other hand, if the Seven gets pinched, and you've got full replacement coverage on your homeowners insurance... you might end up with a brand new Seven/XTR/CK for the cost of the deductible... (said in jest, of course). Either way, I'd write down your serial number and take pictures as proof of ownership before consistently locking it up outside.

jensenn
10-12-2013, 09:16 AM
i live in NY and i used to use a kryptonite chainlock but it was a pain to carry around.

now ive just resorted to a bulldog u lock and a cable. definitely not what i would recommend especially here but i never lock up my road bikes. i commute on my track bike, a broakland street fighter with the top tube replaced by bernie mikkelsen. left the top tube raw and now a bit of rusting.

that top tube seems to do the job detering bike thieves so far. hard to sell a repaired bike and i believe it might be the only broakland streetfighter around here.

Fixed
10-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I just read about this today and will be following it closely!

Also, I find two u-locks (secure rear wheel through triangle and front wheel to frame/secure object) works best. While thieves can get through any lock, if you make it more difficult - they'll more than likely move on to another bike (like one with a cable).
You can't leave your bike without locking it very securely here I use a a cable and a unlock cable through front wheel unlock through back wheel and chain stays .double unlock sounds better . I also replaced quick releases with keyed bolts for wheels and seat post
Cheers

kevinvc
10-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Someone abandoned a bike in front of my friend's bar with a Kryptonite u-lock connecting the frame to a bike staple. After a couple of weeks it was stripped of it's wheels and seat. He finally took a super cheap angle grinder and, within about 3 minutes cut through the lock so he could get rid of the frame and free up the parking space.

I don't know the model of the Kryptonite, but it sure didn't put up much of a fight against a $30 low end grinder.

tuscanyswe
10-12-2013, 05:36 PM
No locks worth carrying will hold up to much abuse from a grinder. My Abus was supposedly a very strong lock and it took very little time for a shop mechanic to open it with a grinder when i lost my key.

After realizing that i carry the lightest lock i could find. Its blue anodized alu and its a crap lock by any standards. i think one could possible kick it open but its very light and small. For my application its good but i rarely leave the bike unattended for more than 5 minutes.

rando
10-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I bought a Kryptolock series 2 despite it being a pain in the ass to carry. One of the bigger deterrents to theft is irregularity. A lock that big lets me secure the bike tons of places one of the mini-U's won't work. I can even lock multiple bikes together. If he has a rear rack hauling a larger lock is pretty brainless.

I would certainly consider stripping the parts off the seven and putting them on another frame for college. Thiefs are pretty advanced and their scouts have pretty sharp eyes to match their large repertoire of knowledge. The amount of disfiguring required to adequately mask it's true colors is a bit extreme.

Building a single speed frame with cheap bolt on wheels is a good place to start for a college bike. Or a mass produced aluminum road bike plastered with gaudy branding. Making sure he can pick it out at the end of class in a sea of bike racks can't be ruled out either.