PDA

View Full Version : Bib tights vs shorts + leg warmers?

etu
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Getting ready for fall/winter riding in temperate Bay Area weather
Anyone ride with bib tights regularly?

carpediemracing
10-10-2013, 09:30 AM
If I need tights I'll use tights. The problem with most shorts+legwarmers is that the shorts are made of summer fabric. You end up coldest where you really want to be warmest.

A teammate of mine experimented with "winter shorts", shorts made with a thicker fabric like those used in tights. Combined with leg warmers, or, more precisely, knee warmers, he was happy with them. I actually bought a cold weather long sleeve skinsuit with winter weight shorts, the idea being that I can use knee warmers if I want (and layer stuff under the top).

Personally I like knickers the best for those inbetween days (40-55 deg). Winter weight fabric throughout, knees protected. I use warm booties so only the calf is exposed. That's fine - I don't have problems from that, and although it seems minor the shorter length of the overall fabric makes a big difference.

I'm most protective of the low-blood joint/tendon areas - Achilles is first, then knees. I'll wear booties when it's 55 but wear shorts with it. My Achilles feels warm but I'm not overheated.

tv_vt
10-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I gave up on knickers and knee warmers precisely because it didn't keep my Achilles area warm. Leg warmers for me.

Wouldn't mind trying out some full length padded bibtights if I could find a good pair that isn't too hot for 40s and 50s.

I do like the winter weight bibshorts. Have a Castelli pair and a Louis Garneau and both work well with leg warmers.

rando
10-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Knickers + Embro. No vital organs in your legs. Layer up top and the bottom will stay warm.

gospastic
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
When it's really cold I wear bib shorts plus chamois-less bib tights over them. Works great.

fiamme red
10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Down to 35° or so, shorts with wool leg warmers; below that, wool tights over the shorts. I use suspenders with the tights, so no need for bib tights.

MattTuck
10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
When it's really cold I wear bib shorts plus chamois-less bib tights over them. Works great.

That is what I do also, though mine aren't bib tights, just regular tights (and that might be the problem), but it leaves a lot to be desired. I do not like the extra layer of fabric between the shorts and and saddle, I find they move around way too much. When the tights wear out, I'll be getting some tights with chamois.

Lewis Moon
10-10-2013, 10:33 AM
With me, the issue is verstility. Bib tights would be useful for very few rides here in Fort Stinkin' Desert. Shorts you can wear all year. Don't get me wrong, it gets cold (30s) on some rides, but not cold enough to make the big $ tights cost OK.
Shorts and leg/knee warmers for me.

Tom
10-10-2013, 10:40 AM
45 and headed up - cheapo Specialized knee warmers and bib tights.
40 and headed up - new to me PI leg warmers, their good ones, Amfib I think. Long - hip to ankle - with bib shorts. I just might get a second pair of those. They're good.
40 and steady or down - plain bib tights over bib shorts. I have two pairs PI Amfib tights. The new ones are great - they have built in gaiters which will make the POS Sidi winter shoes that let water and cold air in because they don't close for crap at the ankle more than useless.

I like bib tights over shorts because you can change the shorts every ride and not have to wash the tights, just dry them out after each ride. Way cheaper than buying a stack of tights - older shorts get another year or two before full retirement this way.

CNY rider
10-10-2013, 11:23 AM
That is what I do also, though mine aren't bib tights, just regular tights (and that might be the problem), but it leaves a lot to be desired. I do not like the extra layer of fabric between the shorts and and saddle, I find they move around way too much. When the tights wear out, I'll be getting some tights with chamois.

I had the same issue with the friction between the two fabric layers. I would even get saddle sores from it.
Then I saw Assos bib tights on deep discount and gave it a shot. I wear them over my regular bibs, and the combo works very well. The Assos fit right and don't move around.
The added bonus is as noted above you can wear different bibs underneath, and the outers stay clean. I also get an extra year or two from bibs I would otherwise throw away, but are still good enough for winter commuting under the tights.

christian
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
What? Surely the minimum permutations one can get by with are:

Regular shorts
Regular shorts with knee warmers
Thermal shorts
Thermal shorts with knee warmers
Thermal shorts with leg warmers
Thermal knickers with chamois
Thermal tights without chamois with regular shorts underneath
Thermal tights without chamois with thermal shorts underneath
Thermal tights without chamois with thermal knickers underneath

Before I smartened up and bought thermal shorts, I did use regular shorts with leg warmers, but I'm past that amateur nonsense by now!

pdmtong
10-10-2013, 11:43 AM
The ONLY reason I ever wear bib tights around here is if it is or was raining and I want to keep the muck off me OR its a really early morning ride up to skyline. otherwise its knickers all winter.

that said, the main reason to wear dedicated 3/4 or full is the thermo roubaix fabric runs all the way up to your core. if you run cold, then yea, go full.

pdmtong
10-10-2013, 11:45 AM
If I need tights I'll use tights. The problem with most shorts+legwarmers is that the shorts are made of summer fabric. You end up coldest where you really want to be warmest.

A teammate of mine experimented with "winter shorts", shorts made with a thicker fabric like those used in tights. Combined with leg warmers, or, more precisely, knee warmers, he was happy with them. I actually bought a cold weather long sleeve skinsuit with winter weight shorts, the idea being that I can use knee warmers if I want (and layer stuff under the top).

Personally I like knickers the best for those inbetween days (40-55 deg). Winter weight fabric throughout, knees protected. I use warm booties so only the calf is exposed. That's fine - I don't have problems from that, and although it seems minor the shorter length of the overall fabric makes a big difference.

I'm most protective of the low-blood joint/tendon areas - Achilles is first, then knees. I'll wear booties when it's 55 but wear shorts with it. My Achilles feels warm but I'm not overheated.

re-read the thread more closely...this nails it

soulspinner
10-10-2013, 12:21 PM

Yup

jlwdm
10-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I do not have to ride in really cold weather here in Texas. I ride down to 35 degrees and bibs and knee warmers work great. Leg warmers not needed.

Jeff

Pyramor
10-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Has anyone tried bib knickers without chamois over shorts? If so, what brand and where did you get them? Haven't been able to find any. My knee warmers don't want to stay in place at times. I switch to chamoisless tights below 45 which I don't often see here in FL.

professerr
10-10-2013, 02:06 PM
I live in the Bay Area too and only use bib tights on the coldest days in winter, combined with other layers

I first need to keep my knees and Achilles warm, and tights (even stirrup ones) do little for my Achilles anyway. So I'll generally do knickers plus leg warmers (double protection for the knee area) plus booties, plus knee socks underneath folded back down over my ankle.

When I lived in colder areas, I had to worry more about keeping my core warm too, but here not so much so the extra layer around my butt and groin isn't necessary. I also prefer cheap ass shorts with their thicker lycra that feels less naked on me than some of the fancier stuff.

one60
10-10-2013, 02:36 PM
I transition from shorts to shorts with defeet leg warmers or some fleeced thermal legwarmers til its too cold & wet here in Seattle.

For rainy & cold conditions here, I have found the elite bib tights to be amazing. They were gifted to me from a friend because they were too small. My expectations were low but I was surprised at how well they work. They are water resistant, warm & they breathe. This last part is key, I never overheat even if the sun is out & temps hit 50. Also, very windproof, never chilly on fast descents or strong headwinds. Now I have no excuse for not riding in the cold!

ptourkin
10-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I like bib knickers for long days that stay cool rather than fiddling with slippy warmers.Wore my Assos TK607 knickers for the first time this morning even thought it was going to hit 60 (SoCal cold?) just to try them out. Main issue is make sure it's going to stay cool enough to have them on all day (duh) v just warmers. It got a little hot on the track for roubaix. Great fit and comfort, though.

pdxharth
10-10-2013, 03:34 PM
I have tried this combo. I removed the pad from a pair of Ibex bib knickers and use a Boure short underneath. It worked ok for short rides but I found the shorts moved around more than I liked and it was difficult to adjust them while moving. So I tried bib shorts under the padless bib knickers and that worked well but all those bib layers is a bit awkward if I have to pee.

It's a decent combination but not ideal. There has to be a better way...

Harth

Has anyone tried bib knickers without chamois over shorts? If so, what brand and where did you get them? Haven't been able to find any. My knee warmers don't want to stay in place at times. I switch to chamoisless tights below 45 which I don't often see here in FL.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Knickers + Embro. No vital organs in your legs. Layer up top and the bottom will stay warm.

This. I'll pile on the bib tights when it dips into the 30s, but for pretty much anything else I find that knickers are fine and more comfortable (the shorter length means less binding pedal stroke). I wear fourteen layers over my feet and would wrap them in down booties if I could (they freeze easy), but I've never had a problem with my shins getting too cold unless its really, really cold outside.

FlashUNC
10-10-2013, 04:06 PM
This. I'll pile on the bib tights when it dips into the 30s, but for pretty much anything else I find that knickers are fine and more comfortable (the shorter length means less binding pedal stroke). I wear fourteen layers over my feet and would wrap them in down booties if I could (they freeze easy), but I've never had a problem with my shins getting too cold unless its really, really cold outside.

+1. My motor tends to run fairly hot, so I don't like wrapping myself up completely in bib tights unless it dips down into the 30s.

Knickers or thermal shorts and embro otherwise.

dogdriver
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I usually mountain bike below 45' or so to keep the airspeed down. That said, I have a spiffy pair of Campy insulated bib knickers that have a fuzzy interior layer and are thus toasty in my personal place. Also have a pair of PI knickers that are just one layer of lycra and thus require a mtb baggy worn on the outside to keep the boys comfy. For winter (Moonlander-- VERY slow airspeed), I dress just like a nordic ski dude/ snowshoer with the addition of a pair of bike shorts as the first layer. Any more complicated than that, and its either skiing or the gym.

JWDR
10-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Since having both knees scoped they are much more sensitive to cold. I bought a pair of dhb Vaeon Roubaix 3/4 Bibs and couldn't beat them for the price. They are comfortable in the upper 40s low 50s we have had lately. Higher temps than that my regular knee warmers and mid weight bibs work well. My summer weight bibs come out somewhere around 80 degrees.

Marz
10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Since having both knees scoped they are much more sensitive to cold. I bought a pair of dhb Vaeon Roubaix 3/4 Bibs and couldn't beat them for the price. They are comfortable in the upper 40s low 50s we have had lately. Higher temps than that my regular knee warmers and mid weight bibs work well. My summer weight bibs come out somewhere around 80 degrees.

Bought a pair of those recently and have only worn once but intend to keep using them. Compared to Rapha 3/4 bibs which I love, these are OK but don't feel as good in the pad area, but that's to be expected as I paid about $55 AUD from Wiggle vs $175 on clearance ages ago, from Rapha (they are usually $270, yikes). Great value if they last, and they look good.

What's your experience with the pad?

Hindmost
10-10-2013, 06:37 PM
SF Bay Area?

The last few years I have been using year-round shorts with either knee warmers or full-length leg warmers.

I like the feel and flexibility of my usual shorts and can adjust leg warmth according to the weather. I usually dress warm on top.

JWDR
10-10-2013, 09:23 PM
The pad is okay. I've only taken them out a few times and my longest ride was 30 miles. I didn't have any issue with them up to this distance. I have an even less expensive pair of dhb bibs that have been relegated to wearing on the mountainbike under baggies due to the cheapness of the pad but I paid all of $30 for those.

Bought a pair of those recently and have only worn once but intend to keep using them. Compared to Rapha 3/4 bibs which I love, these are OK but don't feel as good in the pad area, but that's to be expected as I paid about $55 AUD from Wiggle vs $175 on clearance ages ago, from Rapha (they are usually $270, yikes). Great value if they last, and they look good.

What's your experience with the pad?

fogrider
10-10-2013, 09:33 PM
U'm in SF and even in the winter, it's cold in the morning but warms up by mid morning so I like shorts with knee or leg warmers. I always get too hot on the climbs so being able to remove is important for me. most good knee and leg warmers have a nice grippy things that keep it in place.