PDA

View Full Version : Chorus/Centaur 10 Ergos vs newer 10 speed Campy

pakora
10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm working out the build list for a bike and I'd wanted to go all alloy 10 Campy, in silver if possible.

I figured on new Veloce (since that's all there is) but the builder has sourced new 10s alloy Centaur and Chorus Ergos (and possibly my choice of Chorus all-alloy or alloy/carbon rear derailleurs as well).

This will be my first Campy and have only ever ridden Shimano, so I don't have a hood preference (though I think the new hoods are kind of ugly, which doesn't matter).

I've heard the old high end Ergos were the best in terms of function, durability and longevity. Vs newer Campy, is the shifting significantly better on the older ones? The coat difference will be a bit, but this is my first custom, and at what the entire bike will cost, a bit more here and there for improved function AND aesthetic is worth it to me.

Thanks.

ultraman6970
10-10-2013, 12:21 AM
The old 10 ergo (record or chorus) can dump several cogs in one click, there's still parts moving around to rebuilt them too. Centaur 10 (early new design) had that functionality aswell, but no idea about parts to rebuilt the guts of the lever.

What you can do if at some point you want to move to 11 speed, is to get a chorus 11 lever for example and use a pulley to change the ratio and then pair it to a 10 speed cassette, Im using that combination and works just fine.

As for differences between the old 10 ergo and the 11 ergo well.. the 11 chorus I have is easier to shift, it requires less force to make it shift, looks like they changed the torque that you can apply or something, in my case I like it, no idea about record 11 because never tried it but I imagine is the same.

Good luck.

Nags&Ducs
10-10-2013, 04:29 AM
The old 10 ergo (record or chorus) can dump several cogs in one click, there's still parts moving around to rebuilt them too. Centaur 10 (early new design) had that functionality aswell, but no idea about parts to rebuilt the guts of the lever.

What you can do if at some point you want to move to 11 speed, is to get a chorus 11 lever for example and use a pulley to change the ratio and then pair it to a 10 speed cassette, Im using that combination and works just fine.

As for differences between the old 10 ergo and the 11 ergo well.. the 11 chorus I have is easier to shift, it requires less force to make it shift, looks like they changed the torque that you can apply or something, in my case I like it, no idea about record 11 because never tried it but I imagine is the same.

Good luck.

The newer 11 spd ergos are supposed to be harder to shift- a return to the "clunky" feel of the old 10 spd ergos. I have Chorus and Record 11 spd ergos that are from 2009-10 and they are the easier-to-shift versions. I also have some of Chorus 10 alloys that are great too but I definitely prefer the hood shape of the 11. For classic steel frames, the 10 ergos in alloy is the perfect match, IMHO.

pakora
10-10-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm definitely not going 11 anytime soon unless it's on a mountain bike - the cost of cassettes and chains (as well as special tools) scares me off. (I also requested a UT crankset to avoid the newer style many-tooled install/removal).

So dumping gears and positive clunks for shifts - am I making mostly an aesthetic choice?

soulspinner
10-10-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm definitely not going 11 anytime soon unless it's on a mountain bike - the cost of cassettes and chains (as well as special tools) scares me off. (I also requested a UT crankset to avoid the newer style many-tooled install/removal).

So dumping gears and positive clunks for shifts - am I making mostly an aesthetic choice?

Looks count:)

pakora
10-10-2013, 07:09 AM
That's why I'm going silver - "modern classic" and all that! :beer:

druptight
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
I've got Chrous 10 ergos, and the ability to dump the cassette is fantastic. When you switch rings in the front, being able to dump 5 or 6 cogs in the back to keep yourself right at the same cadence is delightful.

oldpotatoe
10-10-2013, 08:02 AM
I've got Chrous 10 ergos, and the ability to dump the cassette is fantastic. When you switch rings in the front, being able to dump 5 or 6 cogs in the back to keep yourself right at the same cadence is delightful.

Chorus/Record/SuperRecord 11s do the same thing...

The new shape Ultrashift innards(2009/10 all ERGO shifters, 2011/12/13/14 Chorus/Record/SR) are a delight in that there are no more springs and spring carriers to replace. Yes, I have 'fixed' these levers but for broken shift lever blades mostly...the 'disc' that provides the shifting via 2 wee bearing balls and 2 very small springs, are very robust. kudos to Campagnolo to completely redesign these levers, and make them simplier and more robust at the same time.

As for 'feel', first gen were a little light in shifting. Running change(another spacer in the lever) made them clickier..2009-2010. Now, altho lighter still than 2008 and older ERGO, still pretty clicky and still the most functional lever made..with multiple up and down shifts...

I like 'em.

soulspinner
10-10-2013, 12:16 PM

+1 on the cadence

Ralph
10-10-2013, 03:07 PM
My son has the silver alloy 2009 Centaur 10 Ultra Shift shifters. Has the advantage of the newer hoods, the dump feature, and the improved reliability of the new shifters. I have 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultra Shift on one bike, and on another bike 2011 Centaur 10's Power Shift with painted black aluminum levers. Both have triple feature. Power Shift doesn't have the dump feature, but otherwise I like them just as well. They may actually shift better than Ultra Shift. The 2009 and 2010 Centaurs with silver levers w/b terrific for your build. Actually.....I think all the new design shifters are fine. I would never consider going back to pre 2009 hood design. Don't believe all you hear about old shifters being better. I've had both.

beeatnik
10-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Voeckler does that all the time on climbz.

djdj
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Sticks his tongue out every time he double shifts.

Hindmost
10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Running change(another spacer in the lever) made them clickier...

OP, can this change be retrofitted to first gen Record 11 speed levers?
I find the detents a little too vague.