PDA

View Full Version : Seven Mudhoney coming my way

Nags&Ducs
10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
won this off the bay. Mudhoney that I'll set up for commuting/touring/all-rounder for the wife. It's only the frame, fork, collar but the wife likes the way this looks as-is so I'll probably try to build it up similarly except with Campy.

texbike
10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Nice! I just bought the Tsunami out of the classifieds from Andrew.

It needs a proper brushing and new decals but it looks pretty solid.

Anyone know the differences between the Tsunami and the Mudhoney? It looks like the standard Mudhoney has straight gauge tubing while the Tsunami has butted tubes. However, the Mudhoney SL has butted tubes as well..

Anyway, is it just a name change or something more significant?

Thanks!

Texbike

ptourkin
10-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Nice buy - I had it on my watch list but didn't pull the trigger. Congrats

Nags&Ducs
10-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Nice! I just bought the Tsunami out of the classifieds from Andrew.

It needs a proper brushing and new decals but it looks pretty solid.

Anyone know the differences between the Tsunami and the Mudhoney? It looks like the standard Mudhoney has straight gauge tubing while the Tsunami has butted tubes. However, the Mudhoney SL has butted tubes as well..

Anyway, is it just a name change or something more significant?

Thanks!

Texbike

where are your pics? how are you going to build it?

My guess is that the Tsunami is a discontinued model because it doesn't show up on Seven's website. It is probably the equivalent to the Mudhoney SL. But this is a SWAG from moie, so I too would like to hear from someone in the know.

Keith A
10-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Very nice...congratulations!

Fishbike
10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Great do (nearly) anything go (nearly) anywhere bike. Ti is just so right in certain applications.

texbike
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
where are your pics? how are you going to build it?

Not 100% sure on the build yet, but I have a set of black Ksyriums and a Red group that I bought from Ari earlier this year that will probably end up on it.

The bike needs a bit of quality time with a scotchbrite pad and some new decals. However, it's solid and should look sharp when it's done.

Texbike

deaddog
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Pretty funny - I was ready to pull the trigger but couldn't figure out fit with those dimensions (and my lack of bike knowledge) so I was asking about it in the Fit forum. I ultimately got comfortable that it would work but you had grabbed it by then. Congratulations.

old fat man
10-09-2013, 09:07 PM
tsunami is the former name for the butted ti cx bike (and also used for the steel version in the old days). seven has simplified the naming thing by calling all cx bikes (though that looks like a touring bike to me) mudhoney (straight gauge), mudhoney sl (butted), and mudhoney slx (with carbon i think)

sevencyclist
10-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Very nice. I was looking at it and thinking it would make a good commuter.

Fixed
10-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Super cool townie
Looks great cheers :)

Nags&Ducs
10-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Pretty funny - I was ready to pull the trigger but couldn't figure out fit with those dimensions (and my lack of bike knowledge) so I was asking about it in the Fit forum. I ultimately got comfortable that it would work but you had grabbed it by then. Congratulations.

I was a bit wary of the super long headtube- at 18 cm for a frame with an ETT of 537mm is pretty dang tall. She currently has a Titus Ti with a 14.5cm HT with about 2.5cm in stack height. But for the purposes of a commuter/tourer/CX, 18cm with 0 spacers shouldn't be a problem for the wife.

Thanks all for the compliments. Looking forward to the build.

old fat man
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I was a bit wary of the super long headtube- at 18 cm for a frame with an ETT of 537mm is pretty dang tall. She currently has a Titus Ti with a 14.5cm HT with about 2.5cm in stack height. But for the purposes of a commuter/tourer/CX, 18cm with 0 spacers shouldn't be a problem for the wife.

Thanks all for the compliments. Looking forward to the build.

cx/touring bikes usually get 2-3 cm less headtube because

1. you have the cable hanger taking up about 1cm
2. the fork height is taller, putting the front end higher up

if this is a townie, no big deal, but an 18cm headtube would normally be found on a cx bike with a 58cm+ top tube length

Nags&Ducs
10-27-2013, 03:15 AM
I was thinking I would go with cantilevers- Avid Shorty 6s were leading- but now I'm leaning toward mini-Vs, most likely TRP CX8.4s.

To reiterate, this is going to be a do-everything bike with primary duties as commuter/touring/gravel bike. Someday, maybe a CX event.

So, go with MVs or cantis???

TIA.

tuscanyswe
10-27-2013, 04:06 AM
Mini vīs. You loose a cm in height since you dont need the cable hanger which may be good with that tall headtube. They are far superior than cantis if you dont need the mud clearance imo.

Nags&Ducs
10-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Mini vīs. You loose a cm in height since you dont need the cable hanger which may be good with that tall headtube. They are far superior than cantis if you dont need the mud clearance imo.

I was thinking in-line with you. Just wanted extra validation.

My only concern with mini-Vs is whether or not road/CX frames can handle the strength of V-brakes. Even on MTBs, I can see the frame bulge outward as the brakes are fully engaged. I'm assuming the minis aren't as strong, so nothing to worry about???

Thanks Tusc!!!

Nags&Ducs
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
All that's left is to put the fenders on once I figure out the fit issues (in this thread: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=143469), and the Tubus rack. Also need to adjust the ergo levers higher so as to get a flatter transition from the bars to hoods.

biker72
02-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Those are super nice bikes. I have a co-worker that has a new one.....in my size....:)

Nags&Ducs
02-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Those are super nice bikes. I have a co-worker that has a new one.....in my size....:)

Back from a quick test ride and considering swapping out the fork. It's a little twitchy with the current fork. Unfortunately, I don't know the specs of this one.

The shifting is flawless. It's the best build I've ever done, in terms of derailleurs adjustments. :).

It's a sweet looking bike too. I like the looks of it more than I do my Lynskey!

So are you going to be buying it from your coworker??? ;)

biker72
02-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Back from a quick test ride and considering swapping out the fork. It's a little twitchy with the current fork. Unfortunately, I don't know the specs of this one.

The shifting is flawless. It's the best build I've ever done, in terms of derailleurs adjustments. :).

It's a sweet looking bike too. I like the looks of it more than I do my Lynskey!

So are you going to be buying it from your coworker??? ;)

He won't sell it....:)
I can't afford it anyway..

tiretrax
02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
I thought with that much fork rake it would be slower turning. Nice bike. Even though I think Moots makes a pretty bike, I prefer Seven.