PDA

View Full Version : Riding the Kancamagus - What's the traffic situation?

moose8
10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
So I'm thinking of riding a loop involving the Kancamagus this weekend. Does anyone know how the roads are traffic-wise and shoulder-wise? I won't bother if because of leaf-peeping it's too busy as my fiance who hates traffic will be riding with me. If it is worth doing, does anyone have any good loops they recommend? We would need to be able to park somewhere we could ride back to, hence the loop requirement.

MattTuck
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I would probably not ride it. Kanc is ok. but if you ride via 302, that's basically like riding on the side of a highway, given how fast cars drive that road.

Are you coming from Boston? What kind of distance are you looking to do? If you're just looking to climb, there are some neat routes you could do in the whites with much less traffic.

Hurricane Mountain Road in North Conway, and you can ride the back way to Jackson and do some of the climbs from Jackson.

tv_vt
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM
My ride yesterday: Started in Lincoln, NH, rode up and over Kancamagus Highway to Bear Notch Road, over that to Bartlett, then up to the top of Crawford Notch. Then turned around and rode back same way. 96 miles total, five climbs. Beautiful foliage right now.

Traffic was there, but pavement is really good on the whole route, and shoulders are pretty good, too. But note - this coming weekend will be among the busiest of the year. I was riding on a Tuesday...

If you keep going west at Crawford Notch, you end up in Twin Mtn, where you get on Rt 3 over to Franconia Notch, then down the bike path. That's the Grand Tour route - about 75 miles. Or just turn around in Bartlett. From Lincoln, that's about 60 miles out and back, w/4 climbs.

rice rocket
10-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Go hit some national parks while they're "closed".

Mr. Pink
10-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Go hit some national parks while they're "closed".

I heard this morning that ten or twenty people have been busted "using" the Grand Canyon. Which is a tad absurd, considering that they have no funds to open the parks, but they seem to have some money to pay people to guard the parks from "trespassers".

moose8
10-09-2013, 01:43 PM
We'll be coming from Moultonborough, NH, so any good rides anywhere near that would be good - I think Lincoln is about an hour drive from where we are, so anywhere around there could be good. Though if there's a lot of traffic it may not even be worth driving to, which I hadn't really thought about.

rice rocket
10-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I heard this morning that ten or twenty people have been busted "using" the Grand Canyon. Which is a tad absurd, considering that they have no funds to open the parks, but they seem to have some money to pay people to guard the parks from "trespassers".

Haha, wow.

I remember readind some member on weightweenies got some good riding in Golden Gate National Park without much hassle.

saf-t
10-09-2013, 02:17 PM
It's leaf season- half the people driving in northern New England this weekend will be concentrating on the foliage, not the guy on the bike in front of them.

If it were me, I'd look for low-traffic routes......

Tom
10-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Bag the fluorescents this time of year. Wear a brown shirt and tape antlers to your helmet. That'll get way more attention.

MattTuck
10-09-2013, 05:43 PM
We'll be coming from Moultonborough, NH, so any good rides anywhere near that would be good - I think Lincoln is about an hour drive from where we are, so anywhere around there could be good. Though if there's a lot of traffic it may not even be worth driving to, which I hadn't really thought about.

The problem with riding up there, that I've found is that there are mostly just 'main' roads. Since the only way to get across the White Mountains East/West is either the Kanc (rt 112) or rt 302, so they tend to get lots of vehicle traffic.

I'm not sure what else you're doing up there, but you could easily make a day of it around North Conway (shopping, etc.) and do some riding up Jackson, NH without hitting any major roads. May not be as spectacular as the Kanc, but definitely less traffic.

bigman
10-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Traffic or no traffic I'd jump at the chance to ride the Kanc this time of year.
Just charge up the Dinotte.

Bruce K
10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Weekdays are probably better than weekends but I'd go for it.

BK

Janders
10-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Kanc is a pretty wide road, lots of cyclists, pretty good quality tarmac this year.

That said, it is WICKED crowded with leaf peepers this time of year. I'd do it early in the AM if I was going to down it now. And wear bright clothes.

I've been to the area a couple times to ride; If you want lower traffic but similar scenery and near Kanc, I'd park at the south end of bear notch road, ride north up it (minimal traffic), then take a left and go to the top of crawford notch (more traffic, but less than kanc). Then I'd turn around and go back. You could drive over kanc to get that experience.

If you like a bit of dirt, I highly suggest jefferson notch... only saw 1 car going up AND down in July. But a bit sketchy of my 25mm tires and aluminum crit frame.

OnceFast
10-09-2013, 06:24 PM
You can ride east out of Lincoln to the top of the Kanc and back - 30 miles. The earlier you go the less traffic. Another alternative which will have nowhere near as much traffic is to go west out of Lincoln toward Mt. Moosilauke on the Kanc and then take 116 north toward Easton. The downhill on the western Kanc is very well paved - better than the east side. 116 north is very lightly travelled. At the end of 116, in Franconia, take a right on 18(Profile Rd.). This road climbs up to Cannon Mt. Right before you get to I-93 there is a right hand turn onto the bike path. The path goes by Echo and Profile lakes and ends at the parking lot for the Flume. From there it's a 5 mile downhill back to Lincoln on Route 3. Total is about 40 miles. You could lengthen this route by taking the road to Sugar Hill and then taking 117 into Franconia. It looked liked the 116 end of Sugar Hill road was recently repaved, but I don't know how far.

The only negative in my mind is the bike path. The first time I did it was neat, but repeated trips have lessened my enthusiasm. If you hit it early or late, there will be less foot traffic on it.

daker13
10-09-2013, 06:33 PM
The shoulders are pretty good on the route you're describing. There will be a lot of traffic, but me, I'd rather have a bit of traffic on those roads--completely empty, and there's always the risk of some wacko. But maybe I'm just paranoid. Btw, I'm from that area, miss it, and envy you.

572cv
10-09-2013, 07:18 PM
If you we're to want to totally avoid traffic, you could ride up to Sandwich and take the old Sandwich Notch Rd all the way up to Waterville Valley and back. mostly gravel, but right in your back yard from Moultonboro, and lovely.

Johnnyg
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
So I'm thinking of riding a loop involving the Kancamagus this weekend. Does anyone know how the roads are traffic-wise and shoulder-wise? I won't bother if because of leaf-peeping it's too busy as my fiance who hates traffic will be riding with me. If it is worth doing, does anyone have any good loops they recommend? We would need to be able to park somewhere we could ride back to, hence the loop requirement.

Did the Grand Tour route a week ago. The colors are amazing, yes there is traffic but it is worth it for this is an epic ride you will never forget. The Kank is the only true alpine type climb in the NE. Good pavement, let her rip if the wind isn't blowing. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

wc1934
10-09-2013, 07:55 PM
It's leaf season- half the people driving in northern New England this weekend will be concentrating on the foliage, not the guy on the bike in front of them.

If it were me, I'd look for low-traffic routes......

PLUS long weekend which usually means more tourists.

alessandro
10-09-2013, 08:00 PM
The Kank is the only true alpine type climb in the NE.

??? What about Mt. Washington, Whiteface, etc.? Explain.

jasond
10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
The problem with riding up there, that I've found is that there are mostly just 'main' roads. Since the only way to get across the White Mountains East/West is either the Kanc (rt 112) or rt 302, so they tend to get lots of vehicle traffic.

I'm not sure what else you're doing up there, but you could easily make a day of it around North Conway (shopping, etc.) and do some riding up Jackson, NH without hitting any major roads. May not be as spectacular as the Kanc, but definitely less traffic.

+1

If you start in North Conway Bear Notch Rd is nice and it's just about a 40mile loop. You would have to ride a little on the Kanc but then turn off back towards Bartlett. If you ride the entire Kanc you are looking at 100 mile loop unless someone comes and picks you up. Another nice ride is the bike trails that parallel 93/Franconia Notch. And you can start in Woodstock to get the full hill in.

I ride the 100 mile loop each year which involves the Kanc, Franconia Notch, and Crawford Notch. It's a beautiful ride however if traffic is something you are worried about I wouldn't advise you ride it. Much of the routes roadway isn't too bad however the traffic fly's by at 50+ on almost all sections other than when you are in Lincoln and Woodstock.

100 Mile loop starting in North Conway, could bail at Bear Notch Rd though.
http://app.strava.com/activities/81128622

moose8
10-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Great suggestions all - I'm going to do some more research. I just also spoke with a friend who just did it and he said the pavement and shoulders were good. Still not sure what we'll do but regardless it should be fun.

moose8
10-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I figured I'd update this - I did a ride with my fiancee from Conway for 19 miles in, then 19 miles back to where we parked the car. For anyone considering it, there are lots of places to park on the kancamagus because there are trailheads for hikes and places to look at views. About the first five miles from Conway there is no shoulder, then after it until at least mile 19 there is a wide shoulder that is very nice. Also, if you're going from Conway, the road trends generally uphill, at least to mile 19, which makes it really nice on the way back towards Conway since it seemed generally downhill.
I took lots of nice pictures but for some reason can't upload them - it's a pretty ride.

moose8
10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I think I got it figured out.