PDA

View Full Version : Crankset Compatibility

brownm68
10-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I just recently acquired aan awesome DA-9000 group (everything except the crankset) from a fellow Forumite here. Thanks again Axel! I would like to know if the drivetrain would be compatible with other cranksets Such as the FSA K-Force. I will pay the $$ for the Dura-Ace 9000 if I must. However, I'm a fan of the Carbon fiber cranks like FSA. Any guidance you guys can provide wil be much appreciated as always:)

Thank you in advanced,
Marshall

old fat man
10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I will never buy another fsa crankset after the 3 failures I've had from them. Plus their chainrings stink compared to shimano.

Get a 6800 if you want to save some cash.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

wallymann
10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
interesting. what sort of failures did you have?

actual crank-arm breakage? bad bearings? something else?

back when mega-exo was new i had some troubles with the bearing seals. i figured they would be pretty mature by now.

I will never buy another fsa crankset after the 3 failures I've had from them.

RedRider
10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Putting FSA cranksets on Dura Ace/Ultegra groups is what the big boys do to reduce costs on bikes in boxes. The 9000 crankset is one of the key parts of the DA group. Use a 6800 if you need to save a couple bucks.

AngryScientist
10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
after reading all of the horror stories, i would never use an FSA crankset. there are multiple tales of pedal thread inserts coming unbonded on FSA carbon cranks.

the risk is probably quite small, but not worth it IMO.

CNY rider
10-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Strictly speaking they should be "compatible."
I will second (or fourth) the opinion that the FSA is junk and I would use something else.