PDA

View Full Version : DeMarchi retro jersey fit

choke
10-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm considering one of the DeMarchi retro (wool/acrylic mix) jerseys and I'm wondering how they fit. True to size? Order a size larger? If you own one I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

scooter
10-08-2013, 10:13 PM
I bought one a few years ago but returned it, due to the fit. If my memory serves me well, I bought a "large" based on the sizing chart here http://www.worldcycling.com/size.asp#.UlTG61AqjWA. The jersey didn't have enough taper in the body and was too long for me. IMHO - Attractive but they don't fit me well and there are lots of other choices in woolen jerseys (Wabi Woolens, Ibex, Rapha, Boure, Icebreaker, EWR, etc.)

technicolor
10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I found the fit acceptable, but a tad on the larger side. My main complaint is that the wool weave is very loose. Thus, it sags with anything larger than a toothpick in the back pocket. Great looking jerseys, but lacking in every other respect.

BryanE
10-09-2013, 05:31 AM
I bought the Mainetti jersey from World Cycling for 80.00.
The size chart is accurate.
I am 5'10" 156 and have a 39.5 inch chest and took a large.
Fits fine.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/de-marchi-mainetti-1967-replica-merino-short-sleeve-mens?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6ZGVtYXJjaGk6MToyNTpkZW 1hcmNoaQ

dancinkozmo
10-09-2013, 08:39 AM
i also found the sizing on the large side...also to echo what the others have said:
-very droopy pockets
-long in the body (although thats how i believe jerseys were back in the day )

i got the belgian one on sale from STP for 75 bucks...it looks great , despite the above, i would still go for one.

RonW87
10-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Agree with all the above observations (bought a salvarani jersey), with the additional one that, out of the wash, they shrink a bit (even laying flat to dry). To avoid the dreaded wool sag, I wear mine over a normal (non-wool) cycling jersy in the fall and spring and put anything heavy (co2 canisters, phone) in the pocket of the inner jersey.

pakora
10-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I sometimes dip to a L in jerseys when they're club cut, but normally wear an XL, and my XL in this is a bit snug in the shoulders/arms, but fits very well once I'm in the hoods, and the length is okay for my long torso.

The wool/acrylic blend will gather and keep stink like a bandit though - you won't smell it after washing it, but as soon as you wear it and start getting warm, it will come out. Sportwash or your homebrew equivalent from the start is HIGHLY recommended, since otherwise they're great jerseys.

choke
10-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks to all of you.