PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for nice 700c clinchers with a tan sidewall?

texbike
10-08-2013, 10:28 AM
What does team Paceline suggest for a nice 700c clincher with tan sidewalls?

I have a mid 70s Masi that needs new rubber and I'd like to see what you guys are using.

So far, these are the options that I've considered:

-Paselas - decent reviews, but I'm looking for something a bit nicer...
-Clement Strada - I like that they're Clements, but the logos are a bit garrish
-Veloflex - These are a possibility...
-Vitorria Evo Corsa Open - Maybe a bit too modern looking?

25s would be ideal, but 28s are a possible fit on the bike as well..

What tan sidewall tires would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Texbike

echelon_john
10-08-2013, 10:33 AM
roly polys hands down

Orrery
10-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm sure you will receive recommendations about the Grand Bois line. Never tried them myself but once I get my Conti 4 Seasons 700x28 to wear out I may.

sales guy
10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Veloflex master.

Lanterne Rouge
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Grand Bois for sure, especially Cerf Blue and don't be so quick to dismiss Pasela tourguards, they look much better in the rubber then in pictures + you can get pairs on eBeast and online retailers for under $60.

bobswire
10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
If money is an object like it was for me I looked at these > http://www.planetcyclery.com/single-tires/continental-grand-prix-classic-700-x-25c/

But I ended up buying these without the tan sidewall since it was a better tire at a very good discount. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231001427118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

AngryScientist
10-08-2013, 11:09 AM
open corsas are pretty nice...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M92D4fOwWU4/UVI5ORcVZfI/AAAAAAAABJ8/fYoG-Ttp7Hc/s640/IMG_0726.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QCunjEoV1Js/UVI5NI4VP-I/AAAAAAAABJ0/rsr5rf74BoY/s640/IMG_0725.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZflprF6L9as/UEPEYGkSE4I/AAAAAAAAAtI/NKB4o4-5XWY/s640/IMG_0947.JPG

fiamme red
10-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Grand Bois for sure, especially Cerf Blue and don't be so quick to dismiss Pasela tourguards, they look much better in the rubber then in pictures + you can get pairs on eBeast and online retailers for under $60.For an even lighter tire, there's the Cerf Blue Extra Léger (176 g for 700x26).

http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_gb_x_leger.html

texbike
10-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Man, that Gran Bois Cerf looks like it would fit the bill perfectly - the right width, reasonable weight, folding bead, file tread, and small logos.

Does anyone have experience riding them? How well do they roll and what's the longevity like?

Thanks!

Texbike

rjfr
10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I can't speak for longevity, as I've not put enough miles on either to speak to this.
I rode a set of cerf 28s which had fantastic roll characteristics. Easily the faster than anyone else I ride with on a downhill. Very comfortable. A few weeks ago changed these out for GB Col de Madelene (cerf) 30s. They are even more comfortable and the downhill performance is still great (maybe even better). One of my riding buddies asked if I had a motor hidden in the frame!

Highly recommended.

Lanterne Rouge
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

Man, that Gran Bois Cerf looks like it would fit the bill perfectly - the right width, reasonable weight, folding bead, file tread, and small logos.

Does anyone have experience riding them? How well do they roll and what's the longevity like?

Thanks!

Texbike

Cerf Blue's are so comfortable and grip is great but that does come at the cost of longevity. Always a compromise somewhere.

Ken Robb
10-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I have ridden the Vitorias and liked the ride but they got a lot of cuts. The surprising thing was they did not get a lot of punctures even with all the cuts in the tread. Soft rubber and tough casing, maybe?

I have had good luck with Paselas both folding and wire bead.

Of all these Roly-Polys were my favorites and the Ruffy-Tuffys didn't seem to cosst me much performance for the presumed extra flat protection they provide. I say "presumed" because I got no flats on the Roly-Polys.

UberBike
10-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Challenge Criteriums
They have a nice thick sidewall that feels confident when cornering

sg8357
10-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Saw these at the LBS.

http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/race/racetyres/grand_prix_classic_en.html

Steve in SLO
10-08-2013, 05:59 PM
A word from one who's been there: Be sure to check the inflated 'true' width of the tires you are planning to put on the Masi before you buy. I couldn't fit Challenge Parigi-Roubaix 27c's on my GC...chainstays rubbed. Now with Veloflex Master 23s, which work well. FWIW, the flat width of the tires out of the package are Veloflex: 62mm and Challenge: 79mm.

maj
10-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I've been on a tire binge lately. I have Vittoria CX IIIs on Mavic MA2 (box) rims, Vittoria Rubino Pros on Campy Mexico (Shallow V) rims, Veloflex Corsa clinchers on Campy Atlanta (deep V aero) rims, and Vittoria CX tubulars on Ambrosio Nemesis rims.

The toobies are awesome - IMHO you should just take the plunge and go full trad with that vintage Masi. Of the three sets of clinchers, the Veloflex feel the smoothest and most direct almost as nice as the toobies but they're a bugger to mount. The Campy Atlanta rims are narrow and I run a 23 on the back and a 20 on the front. After the Veloflex, I like the feel of the cheaper Rubinos over CX clinchers. The Rubinos are on a stiffer rim so that's got a lot to do with it too - I might switch those sets and test them out before snow falls. I haven't noticed the wet handling issues in the CX III that were noted in the older CX II - heard complaints about them just slipping out on wet roads.

FWIW, I have a new set of Veloflex Corsa clinchers with tan sidewalls that I opted not to use and are just sitting in a closet. They're narrower than you're considering (one 20 and one 23) but PM me if you're interested in getting a set cheap and if it's not against forum rules.

Consider toobies.:)

FlemishCompact
10-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Challenge Criteriums
They have a nice thick sidewall that feels confident when cornering

I've had the pleasure of riding these clinchers for several hundred miles till i was forced to discontinue it's use due to a compromised side wall. All in all, a great clincher.

buddybikes
10-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Veloflex, can get them for have the price of other esoteric brands from wiggle or favorite UK vendor

mtechnica
10-08-2013, 07:48 PM
GP classics

mossman
10-08-2013, 07:53 PM
grand bois ftw.

texbike
10-08-2013, 07:56 PM
A word from one who's been there: Be sure to check the inflated 'true' width of the tires you are planning to put on the Masi before you buy. I couldn't fit Challenge Parigi-Roubaix 27c's on my GC...chainstays rubbed. Now with Veloflex Master 23s, which work well. FWIW, the flat width of the tires out of the package are Veloflex: 62mm and Challenge: 79mm.

Thanks Steve. That's great info! It looks like there's plenty of tire to seat tube clearance, but I hadn't considered the chainstay clearances.

IMHO you should just take the plunge and go full trad with that vintage Masi.

FWIW, I have a new set of Veloflex Corsa clinchers with tan sidewalls that I opted not to use and are just sitting in a closet. They're narrower than you're considering (one 20 and one 23) but PM me if you're interested in getting a set cheap and if it's not against forum rules.

Consider toobies.:)

Thanks for all of the info Maj. The bike currently has a set of early 80s Mavic G40 clinchers that were on the bike when I bought it. At some point it will have a set of correct Martano tubies, but clinchers will have to do for now.

Also, thanks for the offer of the Corsas but I'm looking to stick with 25s for the project.

Thanks!

Texbike

CircuitHero
10-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't know where you ride, but I'm gonna throw Nomads out there. I swapped wheels with a buddy that ran them and I was pleasantly surprised at the predictability of them.

Steve in SLO
10-08-2013, 09:15 PM
IMHO:
Nomads, which are great tires, are too heavy for this bike.
Conti classics have a dark side wall which does not quite look right on this bike.

texbike
10-09-2013, 02:01 PM
IMHO:
Nomads, which are great tires, are too heavy for this bike.
Conti classics have a dark side wall which does not quite look right on this bike.

I hadn't heard of the Nomads and Steve is correct about the GP Classic - the sidewall is darker than it should be on the bike.

I'm really leaning toward the Grand Bois Cerfa Blues at this point. Any suggestions on where to get them?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Texbike

palincss
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm really leaning toward the Grand Bois Cerfa Blues at this point. Any suggestions on where to get them?

I order my Grand Bois tires directly from Compass.

Lanterne Rouge
10-09-2013, 02:38 PM
i order my grand bois tires directly from compass.

+1

Dromen
10-09-2013, 03:53 PM
These are Veloflex Masters. A little browner than the Vittorias yellow. Just depends on the look you want. FYI - Run right at 25mm on these 23mm HED Belgiums.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136183

jensenn
10-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Been riding Vittorias for 9 months now. They ride really nice and went flat free for the first 5 months or so, but eventually they became not so good on puncture protection, especially when the roads are a little wet and everything sticks to the tires and usually leads to a flat.

They started to get a lot of cuts and gashes. I got a tip to fill those gashes with super glue after every ride and I would deflate the tires and take out little pieces of glass after every ride. Seems to be working since I haven't gotten a flat since I started doing that *crossing my fingers* but its getting annoying and time consuming.

So I suggest it for how nice they ride, but if you're looking for something with flat protection, I would go with something else.