PDA

View Full Version : 45-60 deg rides-Vest or wind jacket?

bianchi10
10-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I live in Portland, OR. and It can get fairly chilly on my morning rides. I have a rapha pro team jacket for those COLD mornings, but for rides that are going to be between 45-60 deg. would you prefer a wind jacket with base layer or base layer, SS jersey with wind arm warmers (Or LS jersey) and vest?

I cant decide between a rapha wind jacket or a classic rapha vest.

Both are able to fold up and put into pocket if I needed to shed a layer.

Thoughts?

christian
10-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Baselayer. Castelli Fedele jersey. Armwarmers. If it's going to top out at 60, bib knickers.

Louis
10-07-2013, 11:58 PM
+1 on the arm warmers

rab
10-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Vest would get my strong vote, much more flexibility.
For that type of riding I like to wear a craft baselayer, standard jersey and vest with arm warmers. warm enough for the 40s if it stays there the entire time but with the ability to tailor to whatever the weather/ride conditions warrant over time.

I typically have trouble staying warm so if this works for me I suspect it should provide ample warmth for most others too, and it is easy to roll the vest and pocket it if needed.

rando
10-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Good chance the new F/W line will have at least one of the vests SKY have been using.

That said I vote for a Pro Team Race Cape given;

A. It rains a lot there.
B. It rains a lot there.
C. It rains a lot there.
D. It is warm, waterproof, and the best option. Oh, and it fits in a jersey pocket.

http://cdn1.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/cape5.jpg

FlemishCompact
10-09-2013, 01:00 AM
^Love that Rain Cape!!

nrs5000
10-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Get a merino base layer.

jmpsmash
10-09-2013, 02:07 AM
get a convertible jacket. if too warm, you can rip out the sleeves and it becomes a vest.

verticaldoug
10-09-2013, 03:46 AM
I live in Portland, OR. and It can get fairly chilly on my morning rides. I have a rapha pro team jacket for those COLD mornings, but for rides that are going to be between 45-60 deg. would you prefer a wind jacket with base layer or base layer, SS jersey with wind arm warmers (Or LS jersey) and vest?

I cant decide between a rapha wind jacket or a classic rapha vest.

Both are able to fold up and put into pocket if I needed to shed a layer.

Thoughts?

Correct answer for a mamil is all of the above.

druptight
10-09-2013, 07:17 AM
I just commuted in on a day when it was 42 degrees leaving home and should be about 63 on the way home. I went vest, sportwool LS jersey, bib shorts, and leg warmers. Can shed the leg warmers/vest or both if it gets warm enough. Anything above 40 I go vest, long sleeve jackets just get too stuffy very quickly.

Edit: Oh, and toe warmers.

Ralph
10-09-2013, 08:01 AM
We have a lot of 45-60 degree mornings in Florida in winter. I have both light jacket and vest (and cold weather riding clothes also). I usually prefer the vest, with removavle layers underneath. Pocket in back to hold what I remove. The light jacket gets hot around the shoulders. Jacket with removable arms would be good. I also have a heavier fleece cross country ski vest I use sometimes if colder.

wallymann
10-09-2013, 08:04 AM
go with a wind-vest + layering (as long as it's dry).

redir
10-09-2013, 08:25 AM
I won't wear a jacket if it's above 40. But you really need to try it out your self. My wife will wear a jacket in the 50's because she's always cold. Depends on the person. Experiment. Take both with you and swap them out, record your results and repeat several times.