PDA

View Full Version : Shoe recs please

kgreene10
10-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Let me start with the disclaimer -- I know all feet are different and I need to try any possible pair of shoes. I plan to. But the LBS only carries so many brands and I want to be open to a broader set of possibilities.

I have been training and racing on Specialized S-Works shoes for the past few seasons, with my own custom orthotic as the footbed. They are comfy shoes and I could certainly continue with them; however, I have two trifles:

- They are too high-volume for my low-profile foot. I need a wide toe-box (and they have that), but there's too much volume for the body of my foot, even with my thick custom orthotic.

- The heel is very loose, possibly partly due to the orthotic, and slips a lot while riding.

So anyone have a recommendation for a lower-volume shoe with a narrower heel cup? Ideally, it will also have a low stack height and be light and well ventilated. Ha! I want it all!

Thanks in advance.

false_Aest
10-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Lake.

Most comfy shoes I've ever worn.

More room than Sidi, different than Northwave, less than Carnac (well, Carnac 10 years ago... do they still exist?), plusher than Giro.

I might have similar feet to you. Wore out my Lakes and since there's no LBS that carries them, I went to Giro.

regularguy412
10-07-2013, 09:24 PM
My riding buddy has a wide forefoot and a very narrow heel. He has always worn Sidis. I could never feel comfortable in them. You may wish to at least try the Sidis on. Admittedly, just walking around in them is certainly not the same as riding 100km in a pair, in the heat.

Mike in AR:beer:

rice rocket
10-07-2013, 09:27 PM
If you liked the 2012 Spec shoes, they may be worth revisiting; the forefoot volume was reduced in the 2013 shoes.

saab2000
10-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Sidi Ergos. Expensive but worth it in my experience. Mine have been very durable and my feet never complain.

Worth every penny.

binouye
10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I like Sidi shoes, and upper models have the gizmo that lets you adjust the heel retention. Just tighten it down on your skinny heel until you've got the feel you want! Over the years I've also worn Shimano, Diadora, Vittoria, but mostly entry-level models that can't compare to a nice Sidi. Finally, I have a pair of Dromarti shoes I like a lot, fit is very adjustable in the front and over the arch but not for the heel, and I don't like to wear them on rainy days.

RedRider
10-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Sidi. The Wire, which replaced the Ergo, has the last you are looking for. The most adjustable shoe wjth 3 different closures creates a great fit.
Expensive yes but superior quality and will outlast most other shoes.

sales guy
10-07-2013, 09:46 PM
I've tried them all. My new fav, Gaerne Chrono. Light, stiff, comfy. And I have a wide foot. What I call a flintstone foot. No issue with them. And they have some cool color and graphic options.

pdmtong
10-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Sidi. The Wire, which replaced the Ergo, has the last you are looking for. The most adjustable shoe wjth 3 different closures creates a great fit.
Expensive yes but superior quality and will outlast most other shoes.

this...buy it once and that's it.
do a search...i "reviewed" them within the past six months

rando
10-07-2013, 11:17 PM
So anyone have a recommendation for a lower-volume shoe with a narrower heel cup? Ideally, it will also have a low stack height and be light and well ventilated. Ha! I want it all!

Is there and echo in here? Nobody mentioned how well they vent yet so I'll tackle that. Not as much or in the same way as S-Works. The lockable sole vent moves enough air you'll be glad it closes and the majority of the shoe isn't mesh when it cools off.

The wire and ratchet system puts BOA to shame. Heel lock after adjustment is a drastic improvement as well.

They are slightly heavier and don't have the same full on crit performance feel as S-Works. They won't lose chunks of performance after a year of use though, cough.

EDS
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Let me start with the disclaimer -- I know all feet are different and I need to try any possible pair of shoes. I plan to. But the LBS only carries so many brands and I want to be open to a broader set of possibilities.

I have been training and racing on Specialized S-Works shoes for the past few seasons, with my own custom orthotic as the footbed. They are comfy shoes and I could certainly continue with them; however, I have two trifles:

- They are too high-volume for my low-profile foot. I need a wide toe-box (and they have that), but there's too much volume for the body of my foot, even with my thick custom orthotic.

- The heel is very loose, possibly partly due to the orthotic, and slips a lot while riding.

Thanks in advance.

Specialized does have a narrow version of the S-Works shoe you could try.

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-08-2013, 09:22 AM
this...buy it once and that's it.
do a search...i "reviewed" them within the past six months

Forgive me for being too lazy to search, but a 44 in the Genius/Dominator/Ergo2 equates to a 43.5 in the new Sidi wires, correct?

Sorry for the thread drift.