PDA

View Full Version : Aegis Seatpost binder mechanism

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
We at Tolland Bicycle, are looking for an Aegis seatpost binder mechanism for an older Aro Svelte. The mechanism is mounted in the side of the frame, just below where the seatpost enters the frame, and compresses the seatpost. Anyone having any ideas about finding one or has an older broken Aegis frame feel free to contact us at (860) 872-8248 or through this post. Some have machined these in the past and we'd be interested in that as well. Thanks.

David Kirk
10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I wonder who made them for the company?..........a good guess would be Paragon Machine.

I wonder if they might have some of the specs and could cut you one?

dave

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Dave. First good lead.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm assume you've tried this: info@aegisbicycles.com

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Just got off phone with Paragon and we are back to not having a binder mechanism.

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Tried email last week but have had no reply.

ultraman6970
10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
There is a an old threadless stem that has a wedge that works the same way but with the steering tube, is basically a two pieces half crescent thngis and the bolt in the middle... hmm...thomson has something similar too.

If you have a friend or know somebody with a machine shop so the guy could thread you a piece of aluminum, the crescent pieces can be done even with a dremel and darn good pulse?

Keith A
10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
How about their (Aegis) phone number: 207-230-2453 or 207-868-3374
Looks like they are located here: 351 Champlain St, Van Buren, Maine

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Tryed the # as well and we are still looking for the part.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Just curious, did anyone answer?

I assume this is the piece you need?

ultraman6970
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I assume that's the one he is talking about.

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
yes, that's the piece.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Did a little digging and it appears that Aegis went out of business back in 2009 and then most of the employees started with a new company name Argus Bicycle. However, Argus suspended operations on July 4, 2010.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot-deals/aegis-out-business-sale-195616.html

This also came up on our forum a while back ago and you might be able to contact Kirk to see if he was ever able to get in touch with them.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=102000

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes, we did all the research into the companys history myself but can't seem to get intoch with anyone. We just need to borrow one of these seatpost clamp mechanisms and have one made.

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
We went to the posting you sent us last week and that's how we found the email and phone #. No one answers and we still aren't any closer to having the part we need.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 02:51 PM
One last piece of info, here's Pete Orne's LinkedIn profile which lists him as the previous owner of Aegis Bicycles. It shows he currently employed in another field, but you might be able to contact him...
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/pete-orne/24/a45/411

It's interesting that their website is still up :confused:

http://www.aegisbicycles.com/images/aegisforlife.gif

572cv
10-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I had an Aro Svelte for a few years. The seatpost mechanism was one of the reasons I got the bike, because it was, like much of the design, so well considered.

I don't have a picture of it, but this is what i remember... ordered as to how I imagine it was made. There was an aluminum barrel, the diameter of the hole in the frame, and just under the length. The outside edges were turned, to eliminate rough edges. I expect the center was identified by a score line all the way around the turning. The barrel was then hollowed in the center on one surface so the arc created would mate with the seatpost, said another way, the radius of the scooped out arc was the same as the seat post. Then a pilot hole drilled in the barrel, lengthwise, suitable for a tap for the diameter of securing screw running through the barrel. Then, the barrel would be cut in half. Then the side with the end of the securing allen screw would be tapped. The side to accept the head of the allen screw would be drilled so the screw could slide through to the tapped side, and counter sunk so the head would sit in a mating hollow in the face of the barrel.

Now you have a clamp, which does not rely on clamping the carbon frame to allow the seatpost height to be secure. It is actually a very simple mechanism. It may be necessary to file off some additional material from the cut in the center, to allow the clamp to be fully effective. Obviously, the mating screw needs to be the right length. Anyone with a little metal lathe and a cutoff piece of aluminum rod could make it.

I hope this recollection is useful.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I did find a picture of this when I was digging around earlier...

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks. We know how it's made, but we don't have the bicycle here. It was shipped and arrived at it's current location minus the seatpost binder, so this doesn't really help us here. Thanks anyway.

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Is that the piece from an Aegis or a seatpost.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 04:15 PM
That's from an Aegis frame.

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Do you have the part? Would you be willing to let us have it for a few days? We would pay shipping to and from.

sales guy
10-07-2013, 04:23 PM
I have a wedge like that. If someone gets me the dimensions, I can check mine and make sure it will work. I have a couple different wedges that might do the trick.

Keith A
10-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Do you have the part? Would you be willing to let us have it for a few days? We would pay shipping to and from.Nope, like I stated...I found this image while searching for info on the Aegis bikes. Sorry. However, I might be able to get a contact for you of the owner of the Aegis that took that picture.

tolland bicycle
10-07-2013, 05:07 PM
We may be getting closer. Any more information people can give would be greatly appreciated.