PDA

View Full Version : Wave of retirements sweeps across the peloton as year ends

plattyjo
10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Including Zabriskie (http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/news/wave-of-retirements-sweeps-across-the-peloton-as-year-ends_305144).

MattTuck
10-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Age discrimination.

The 2013 Vuelta a Espaņa champion Chris Horner, told VeloNews on Friday that he does not have a contract for next season.

54ny77
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Thank goodness they've all been riding clean since 2006.

christian
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Haha, I was just going to say that I thought all these guys retired in 2006.

corky
10-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Flecha too

Uncle Jam's Army
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
More a function of no available jobs for them, with Euskatel and Vacansoleil folding, and Saxo scaling back. Sounds like forced retirement to me.

FlashUNC
10-07-2013, 03:39 PM
More a function of no available jobs for them, with Euskatel and Vacansoleil folding, and Saxo scaling back. Sounds like forced retirement to me.

Add to that the strategy shift at Garmin and you've got a recipe for musical chairs.

Some folks are just going to be left out.

thwart
10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow...

Flecha.

Menchov.

O'Grady.

Vande Velde.

Zabriskie.

Casar.

Hunter.

Pinotti.

dd74
10-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Isn't Armstrong coming back? :no:

cachagua
10-07-2013, 10:06 PM
If it gets much worse, Eddy'll have to come back!

shinomaster
10-07-2013, 11:19 PM
The riders are getting old, but so are we.

false_Aest
10-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Serious Question: Why is this more news than any other year when people retire?

Connection to doping?

Louis
10-08-2013, 01:26 AM

A semi-serious comment:

One benefit of not being in tip-top shape while aging is that it's relatively easy to offset the negative effects of aging by getting into slightly better shape.

That way instead of getting slower, you can actually improve with time. I'd imagine that at some point (say, around 100 yrs old ;) ) the effect wears off, but until then, I refuse to admit that age is slowing me down.

jpw
10-08-2013, 03:34 AM
there's a new sheriff in town.

plattyjo
10-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Think Horner will get a contract?

MattTuck
10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
there's a new sheriff in town.

Cookson?

From his election:
"It's a huge honour to be voted president and I thank you for your trust. The real work starts now. I call on the global community to unite so that the sport lives up to its potential. We must have a new style of government and a collegiate system. My first act as president is to ensure anti-doping is fully independent and to sit down with WADA," Cookson said.

Lewis Moon
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM

I wonder. With all the negative variables (age, fewer teams, probably a lot of good, young riders looking for work, what he thinks he's worth) he might have to either settle for less or retire.
I don't think he'll retire, because this season will be a guaranteed $100k+ paycheck and he has to be riding to get real endorsement contracts. He'll probably settle for less than his "market" value and stay with Trek.

Of course he could retire and do ads for cycling Depends and Metamusil.

shinomaster
10-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Sure, but maybe for not as much as he's worth or feels he's worth. He seems to have spend most of the past few years injured.

Louis, I'm serious! I started reading Winning magazine in HS and at the time Hincapie was my age and Lance was a couple of years older than me... and now I'm 39 and they are retired. That passage of time blows my mind.

oldguy00
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Ya, I think Horner will have to take a position as a 'super domestic' at a related pay rate, or as a leader of a smaller team, which will also come with a smaller pay.

Nothing against the guy at all, but his name doesn't sell bikes IMHO, and from a team point of view, ya, he's getting older. Wish the best for him though.

plattyjo
10-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, he's officially lost it (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-vents-frustrations-on-twitter) on Twitter.

Lewis Moon
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Well, he's officially lost it (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-vents-frustrations-on-twitter) on Twitter.

One should NEVER Twittertwat while drunk. Should be a law or sumpin'.

rounder
10-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Sure, but maybe for not as much as he's worth or feels he's worth. He seems to have spend most of the past few years injured.

Louis, I'm serious! I started reading Winning magazine in HS and at the time Hincapie was my age and Lance was a couple of years older than me... and now I'm 39 and they are retired. That passage of time blows my mind.

I have a Winning magazine that was signed by Lance, Bobby Julich and George at the start of a tour de pont stage. I thought it was cool then, but now it is just a mag. At the time, thought they were all awesome. Now believe they were just talented guys trying to make a living. I don't blame them.

Germany_chris
10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
This is a result of the religious pursuit of a "clean" peloton. I said a year and a half ago that this git-em all attitude would push cycling back to a/its niche and it has. The peloton is no cleaner than it was 10 years ago it's just smarter and more advanced.

The consolation is of course that they got-em all and now the 72 virgins of cycling awaits. :rolleyes:

I think I'll refrain from commenting more on this..I tend to get in trouble around this subject

cfox
10-09-2013, 10:07 AM
...and yet Michele Scarponi, a rider suspended for drugs dogged by new allegations all the time, has three teams to choose from next year

PQJ
10-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Isn't Armstrong coming back? :no:

He is. Larger than life and in HD. See: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-the-armstrong-lie-official-movie-trailer. I'll probably watch it when it hits Netflix or cable or similar.

Did watch the trailer and was left with one thought: what a frakkin asshole.

texbike
10-09-2013, 11:30 AM
He is. Larger than life and in HD. See: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-the-armstrong-lie-official-movie-trailer. I'll probably watch it when it hits Netflix or cable or similar.

Aarghhh... I hate to say it, but I'll probably watch it. Bastard!

It reminds me of the saying "Any press is good press". Armstrong will come out nice and peachy one way or another.

Texbike

plattyjo
10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm going to check out the doc also, but mostly because I love the filmmaker's work and know it won't come out as a fluff piece about LA.

CunegoFan
10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
...and yet Michele Scarponi, a rider suspended for drugs dogged by new allegations all the time, has three teams to choose from next year

He still gets results. Most of the riders above should have retired two years ago.

54ny77
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
trailer was the tiniest bit interesting, but didn't say much about what was to come. i doubt the actual film will either. things like: where'd the drugs come from, how they were used, who was implicit in the coverup, who else used 'em, connecting all the dots that can otherwise get weaved together to form a large consipracy--which of course could be used against him.

but, lance & co. is no p.r./legal amateur machine and i bet they will not go down that path nor go scorched earth like landis did. probably too many trump cards to play still and people to protect.

fiamme red
10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
David Millar is retiring after next year.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/14/david-millar-retire-cycling