PDA

View Full Version : Road/Gravel Tire Recommendation

FlemishCompact
10-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm building up a frameset that will probably see 70/30 road/gravel. I won't be racing CX, I doubt I'd do too much mud riding, but I will hit dry fire roads and single tracks when I can.

Does anyone have recommendations?

donevwil
10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
What size are you looking for and what will fit the frame/fork (700 x 25, 28, 32, bigger) ?

FlemishCompact
10-07-2013, 12:53 PM
What size are you looking for and what will fit the frame/fork (700 x 25, 28, 32, bigger) ?

I'd like a 700 x 32 tire. Thanks in advance!

Auk
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm having great luck with the Challenge Eroica 700x30 tires. Very fast rolling tires and after getting about 300 miles on them on loose grave/limestone (loose and hard) and some dual track trails, no nicks cuts or punctures. Don't let the 30c designation fool you, these run bigger than some 32c cross tires I've used.

AngryScientist
10-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm having great luck with the Challenge Eroica 700x30 tires. Very fast rolling tires and after getting about 300 miles on them on loose grave/limestone (loose and hard) and some dual track trails, no nicks cuts or punctures. Don't let the 30c designation fool you, these run bigger than some 32c cross tires I've used.

agree

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ufpP9g7Usfw/UgmMt8Q1eEI/AAAAAAAABXc/jtJrk5rw-Vw/s640/DSCN0012.JPG

AngryScientist
10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
as a matter of fact, the set-up i ran this season for gravel road duty is the eroica on the back and a 28c road tire up front.

the 30c eroica really does measure much fatter than many 32 CX tires too.

donevwil
10-07-2013, 01:00 PM
I love the Grand Bois Cypres. A true 32mm tall and wide. They are very durable for how light they are and are phenomenal on the road. I've ridden plenty of dirt and gravel roads with no issue but do throw on some lightly knobbed CX tires for the more epic, hilly routes requiring better traction.

Fixed
10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I am on a shoestring budget right now so I put Victoria Randonnelur 37 's on my Bianchi they seem ok so far ,I am having a blast riding roads and gravel on it :)
Cheers

witcombusa
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Panaracer Pasela 700 x 32 or better still 700 x 35.

misterha
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Any file treads will work nice like specialized tracers or kenda happy medium. Challenge makes a bunch as well.

Steve in SLO
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
These Panaracer T-servs are pretty nice:
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/panaracer-t-serv-protex?v=7002800&utm_campaign=products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&adl=1&gclid=CJnRsOu3hboCFeRj7Aodc2cAMg

I have 28s on my mixed bike and weigh 185#. No flats in 2 years of riding tarmac/gravel/dirt.

DHallerman
10-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Will these Challenge Eroica 700x30 tires fit with standard road brakes?

You know, like Ultegra brakes with 39mm-49mm reach?

Dave, who doubts it but wants to ask to be sure

Scott Shire
10-07-2013, 04:07 PM
The challenge will fit fine, ride like heaven for 1500 miles, and collect flats like you need practice changing tires.

Resist Nomads are very, very tough to beat for the money.
Also like Jack Browns, and have been very happy with the clement stuff.

buldogge
10-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Kenda Small Block 8s or Slant Sixes for me (mixed F+R right now)...either 32 or 35c...or 35/32 combo at times.

-Mark in St. Louis

nooneline
10-07-2013, 05:03 PM
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/panaracer-t-serv-protex?v=7002800&utm_campaign=products&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&adl=1&gclid=CJnRsOu3hboCFeRj7Aodc2cAMg

I have 28s on my mixed bike and weigh 185#. No flats in 2 years of riding tarmac/gravel/dirt.

Definitely a high-value tire. Really decent, really affordable.

gomango
10-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Well, I just rode 72 miles on Challenge Almanzos this Saturday, backed up with a 46'r yesterday.

It was a mix of black top, class5 gravel, gravel/sand and slurry.

Great all around tire.

Fwiw I also ride Eroicas and Small Block 8s.

The Eroicas are great on hard pack surfaces, while the Small Blocks work well on a wide range of surfaces. I have them on a Merckx cross bike that gets lots of use on our river trails which can get pretty mucked up this time of the year here.

In the end, all of these are nice tires.

Buy what's on sale. :)

Auk
10-07-2013, 08:16 PM
The challenge will fit fine, ride like heaven for 1500 miles, and collect flats like you need practice changing tires.

Resist Nomads are very, very tough to beat for the money.
Also like Jack Browns, and have been very happy with the clement stuff.

Yet to flat on mine and I've beat them hard.

Standard brakes will work fine on them.

sparky33
10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
For mixed surface the file tread Challenge tires are terrific. Almanzo and Grifo XS. They roll plenty quick on pavement and feel great on dirt.

KidWok
10-08-2013, 12:58 AM

Tserv casing holds up a bit better than Pasela, but not as supple. I'd avoided Pasela for rougher gravel. Have had to throw a couple away due to sliced casing.

Tai

dawgie
10-08-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm really liking my Rivendell Jack Browns for roads as well as MUTs and upaved trails/roads. I've got the lighter-weight Green version with no flats after 900+ miles and tread seems to be wearing well. The Blue version is heavier but supposed to be more durable. Riv bills them as 33s but mine measure 35 mm wide on Open Pro rims.

Vittoria Randonneur/Voyager Hypers are also very nice rolling. A little heavier than the JB Greens but probably comparable to the Blues. They have reflective sidewalls, which is nice if you commute or ride in the dark.

Neither of these tires would be my choice for riding in muddy conditions, however, as they have no tread.

FlemishCompact
10-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Well, I just rode 72 miles on Challenge Almanzos this Saturday, backed up with a 46'r yesterday.

It was a mix of black top, class5 gravel, gravel/sand and slurry.

Great all around tire.

Fwiw I also ride Eroicas and Small Block 8s.

The Eroicas are great on hard pack surfaces, while the Small Blocks work well on a wide range of surfaces. I have them on a Merckx cross bike that gets lots of use on our river trails which can get pretty mucked up this time of the year here.

In the end, all of these are nice tires.

Buy what's on sale. :)

I like the tread of the Almanzos look like a good compromise between the Small Blocks and the Eroicas.

I'm leaning towards the Eroicas because they look like they would roll better on pavement. Which is where the majority of my riding is going to be done on.

choke
10-08-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm leaning towards the Eroicas because they look like they would roll better on pavement. Which is where the majority of my riding is going to be done on.FYI, the Eroica has been renamed the Strada Bianca and now has an extra puncture protection strip.

gomango
10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
I like the tread of the Almanzos look like a good compromise between the Small Blocks and the Eroicas.

I'm leaning towards the Eroicas because they look like they would roll better on pavement. Which is where the majority of my riding is going to be done on.

They roll like a big brother of the Challenge PRs.

No flats, just miles.

They are very nice tires.