PDA

View Full Version : Torque wrench: Beam vs others

hockeybike
10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Looking for a torque wrench for my own home wrenching now that I have a new-to-me full carbon bike and wanted to gauge opinions on beam-type vs click-type wrenches.

Don't really think I need to spend $150 on this tool, since I won't be using it a ton, and so this tool is attractive: http://www.amazon.com/VENZO-Bicycle-Torque-Wrench-Socket/dp/B00811WQT8

That said, if it's not really accurate, no reason to use it, and better off with a lower tech beam type like the a park tool: http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TW-1-Torque-Wrench/dp/B000NVCI1U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1381160903&sr=8-3&keywords=park+torque

Park does make a tool that goes from 0-600 in poudns, too, but the gradations between aren't as easy to make out as one might hope, I think.

What's the concensus -- venzo ok, or go with beam (could go with a craftsman beam, too)?

rnhood
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Since $60 is not too much to spend on a decent torque wrench, my vote goes to the Venzo. And its a nice tool and a step above the typical beam type. It probably reflects the law of diminishing returns in that spending more than $60 might get you a different type or fancier torque wrench, but not a better one.

SkyRider
10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
The best torque wrench I have ever owned came from Harbor Freight. They are about $25 regardless of drive size and come with a lifetime warranty. +or- 4% accuracy and really durable. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

enr1co
10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
The best torque wrench I have ever owned came from Harbor Freight. They are about $25 regardless of drive size and come with a lifetime warranty. +or- 4% accuracy and really durable. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

Thanks for this tip- was looking at a Craftsman the other day for $75-80 but this $25 price point looks like a no brainer! The $6.99 shipping to your door also beats
the gas and time of picking one up in person. :banana:

kramnnim
10-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for this tip- was looking at a Craftsman the other day for $75-80 but this $25 price point looks like a no brainer! The $6.99 shipping to your door also beats
the gas and time of picking one up in person. :banana:

You may want to read the negative reviews before buying...

rnhood
10-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I know of no product that better reflects "you get what you pay for" than tools.

dave thompson
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't trust the Harbor Freight tool. I had one go out of calibration withing weeks of first use. While they may warranty it, if I can't rely on it being accurate, I don't want it. I returned it to Harbor Freight.

I have two Craftsman clicker torque wrenches, bought when they were on sale. One, in inch pounds, for the small fasteners and one in foot pounds for things like bottom brackets and crank bolts. I also have a Ritchey Torque Key for easy convenient tightening of stem and faceplate bolts.

Or you can get the Craftsman beam torque wrenches quite inexpensively and even less expensive when they are on sale.

With critical things like torques wrenches, I do not cheap out, they can make a difference. Buy the very best tools that you can afford.

rice rocket
10-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Two things.

1. Click-type torque wrenches that go out of calibration is usually user error. You MUST release the torque setting back to zero whenever you set it down.

2. Click-types usually aren't accurate in their first 10-15% of their maximum range. So if it maxes at 50 ft lbs, don't expect the first 5-7.5 ft-lbs to be accurate.

yoshirider
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
i have the venzo torque wrench and have used it to tighten parts on my carbon bike. however, i can't say that i am confident that it is accurate. i set it to a lower torque setting for everything and so far i haven't broken anything. i'm thinking of picking up a Ritchey Torqkey with the removeable bits. It's fixed at 5Nm, but that should be sufficient for a lot of bolts on the bike.

staggerwing
10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
There is really nothing to go "out of calibration" on a beam-type torque wrench. I've seen complaints in tool reviews about having to bend the pointer to bring it back to zero, but this characteristic is by design. Not a fault. Basic engineering principles dictate the angular deflection of a prismatic beam to a given moment, and that is all there is to it.

The real downside of a beam-type is needing to see the pointer. Not a problem for most bike work, but a real negative if you are buried in a nacelle. To verify the reading, you pretty much have to operate a beam-type with a smooth hand; which is good practice. You should operate a clicker-type the same way too; don't jab at it.

For casual use, I don't have a problem with inexpensive clicker-type wrenches, but periodically check them against a beam-type.

For critical work, buy a good one, and keep it in the protective case when not in use. Send it back for annual calibration, or sooner, if dropped.

enr1co
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I know of no product that better reflects "you get what you pay for" than tools.

Thanks all for the reminders :o- Im a firm believer in this statement but got caught up w the bargain price this AM- I'll pass on the HF wrench.

I do have the ~$15 Ritchey 4 mm hex tool which I put to good use for tightening stems, seatpost clamps any other 4 mm applications.

Any knowledge of these going out of calibration after x number of usages and something that should be disposable after
a period of heavy usage?

Mark McM
10-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Beam and clicker type torque wrenches each have their own pros and cons:

Beam type:

Pro: Usually less expensive. Generally quite rugged. Maintain their accuracy better over time/usage.

Cons: Often can't be used in tight locations. Slower to use.

Clicker type:

Pro: Faster/easier to use. Can be used in tight confines.

Cons: More expensive. More frequency re-calibration required. More prone to loss of calibration/damage if mishandled or dropped frequently.

Clicker type torque wrenches are handy in automotive and commercial applications (where time is money), but for home shop mechanics, a beam type torque wrench might be a better bet, in term so of investment and maintentance.

SkyRider
10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't trust the Harbor Freight tool. I had one go out of calibration withing weeks of first use. While they may warranty it, if I can't rely on it being accurate, I don't want it. I returned it to Harbor Freight.

I have two Craftsman clicker torque wrenches, bought when they were on sale. One, in inch pounds, for the small fasteners and one in foot pounds for things like bottom brackets and crank bolts. I also have a Ritchey Torque Key for easy convenient tightening of stem and faceplate bolts.

Or you can get the Craftsman beam torque wrenches quite inexpensively and even less expensive when they are on sale.

With critical things like torques wrenches, I do not cheap out, they can make a difference. Buy the very best tools that you can afford.

Fair point but for what it's worth I have had the exact opposite experience. I had to craftsman wrenches fail on me and that's what led to my first Pittsburg from harbor freight. I ended up with one in each size the offer.

gemship
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I would definitely rule out the Harbor Freight clicker style wrench in the previously linked post for the simple fact that it indicates a minimum 20ft. lb. torque value. That for a bicycle is at times a great value, you really need something that is accurate to as little as 5ft. lb. Having said that I would go with a beam style torque wrench for better value. Just take you time using it. Also remember you will have to spend some more on things like Allen type attachments to properly adapt to the torque wrench. Personally I do it all by feel.

OK my bad I just noticed the Harbor Freight tool works in inch lbs. rather than ft. lb. Well I would still recommend a beam type tool for simplicity of use. After a while you will develop a feel for it the more you use it. Then you'll wonder why you even bought the silly thing.

HillDancer
10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
While any torque wrench is better than relying on feel for small fasteners, it is far better to purchase a quality product that will be accurate, durable, and have the capability for re-calibration if dropped.

If choosing a mechanical wrench for bicycle purposes, purchase two, one with 0-100 lb-in range in both directions, and one with 5-75 lb-ft range in both directions (a reversible ratchet head qualifies). Some very high end digital wrenches can do all of the above in one wrench. This company manufactures most of the quality re-branded US made torque wrenches at reasonable cost. http://www.torqwrench.com/

My mechanical recommendations are, a dial type for lb-in, and clickable with swivel & reversible ratchet head for low torque lb-ft. The latter is for ease of use & convenience.

mtechnica
10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Beam type torque wrenches are accurate enough for anything on a bike, clicker wrenches are less accurate for low torques, and accurate non beam type torque wrenches are expensive and unnecessary for bikes. Harbor freight torque wrenches won't be accurate enough to safely torque small fasteners IMO. Craftsman has a decent beam torque wrench you can get for like $30.

bargainguy
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I've had the Topeak d-torq electronic transducer-type torque wrench. Very accurate and easy to use, and unlike most dial models, don't need to reset to zero when not in use.

UberBike
10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
If you do not have access to have the wrench calibrated occasionally for an affordable price it may be worth the extra money to purchase a more expensive wrench that may hold accuracy longer or from a supplier that my offer calibration service.

This would be especially important on smaller fasteners where you may break a bolt that is too small to extract with out doing some damage.