PDA

View Full Version : FS/NJ Zipp 404 pre-firecrest tubular Campagnolo

alastair
10-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Hello,
I went from having nothing but mediocre clinchers just a few short years ago, to being inundated with too many nice sets of nice tubular wheels as I type.

I've been hanging on to these as backup to a set of 2012 404's that I've been riding. The 2012's are proving so durable that sitting on a spare set just seems silly. So I'm going to sell the older wheels. If my (Zipp specific) memory is correct; these are 2010's and were issued before Firecrest became available in the Autumn of that same year. The newer set I have employ a slightly more pronounced oval shape at the crest of the rim, but share the same dimpling and look very similar. I'd estimate there's less than 1200 miles on this wheelset.

There are no scratches or flaws in the carbon rims and the braking surface is close to new.

There is a set of continental sprinter 22's glued on but I'm not in the habit of buying or selling used tubulars. Used is used and I recommend you fit a tyre of your choosing. I'll leave them on, as much to protect the rims during shipping as anything else. $750 shipped. Zipp Skewers are included.

Some things I could use in partial trade:

...(found)
Campy compatible cyclocross crankset (172)
...(found)

From Zipp's 2010 catalogue:

"back in the early ‘90s, Zipp used to make three-spoke carbon wheels. but through wind tunnel testing, we learned that this design created unnecessary drag every time a spoke passed between the fork blades. that discovery led us to design a wheel with traditional spokes and a 58mm rim depth that
has been the core of our wheel lineup ever since. | today’s 404 incorporates all the advances we’ve made in recent years, like fully toroidal rim profiles, the third generation of our ablc dimples, and the 88/188 hubset. our perennial best seller, the 404 continues to rack up impressive results, like stage wins from sprinter thor hushovd and rouleur nicki sørensen at the 2009 tour de France, and craig alexander’s 2008 victory in kona. From your local criterium to l’alpe d’huez, the 404 is a threat to win any race on any terrain."

Thanks all.

RacerJRP
10-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Please take this as a constructive comment. These are not Firecrest wheels, they are standard dimpled 404's. It is quite easy to tell by the generation of the front hub and the stickers on the rim.

nismosr
10-08-2013, 08:05 AM
and they are not even the Toroidal shape ?

alastair
10-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Yes they are the toroidal shape... I called them firecrest, apparently in error, after doing my research on the Zipp archeology site.

alastair
10-15-2013, 01:22 AM
Bump for a clarified description an price reduction.