PDA

View Full Version : Neutron bearing quetion

jischr
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Bought some used neutrons a couple weeks ago, my first Campy wheels. Took them apart and greased them up and put them back together, tightening the bearings to where I think they should be. Put them in the frame and they moved a couple mm side to side between the brake pads. Took them off twice and tightened them up a bit more and got rid of the play in the front but the back is still more than I would have expected. I like my bearings set just below where you can feel the ball binding on the races. When I did make them bind a bit the play was gone. So the questions are –
Are Campy wheels supposed to bind a bit?
Or is my rear wheel close to worn out? The grooving on the races was just noticeable, not like I’ve seen on some of my really worn wheels.

Pete Mckeon
10-06-2013, 07:49 PM
:help: there are some bearing tuning or defects with your hubs based on my many years of campy use and lust Pete

Bought some used neutrons a couple weeks ago, my first Campy wheels. Took them apart and greased them up and put them back together, tightening the bearings to where I think they should be. Put them in the frame and they moved a couple mm side to side between the brake pads. Took them off twice and tightened them up a bit more and got rid of the play in the front but the back is still more than I would have expected. I like my bearings set just below where you can feel the ball binding on the races. When I did make them bind a bit the play was gone. So the questions are –
Or is my rear wheel close to worn out? The grooving on the races was just noticeable, not like I’ve seen on some of my really worn wheels.

lhuerta
10-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Yikes, always avoid binding when adjusting any hub. The Neutron/Nucleon hub is unlike any cup and cone bearing hubs, despite its different locknut adjustment system. The final adjustment to your hub should include a bit of play. This extra play will be taken up when you cinch your QR (hopefully not ham fisting), thus yielding the least amount or preload on your bearings. Lou

oldpotatoe
10-07-2013, 07:40 AM

No...New bearings?(15 5/32 per side), cones not pitted? Cups smooth?

bearings not upside down? Seal in channel?