PDA

View Full Version : F3 vs All other carbon forks

saab2000
01-09-2006, 10:37 AM
I am getting close to maybe thinking about looking into researching the possible purchase of a CDA from Serotta. IMHO, the fork is very, very important. Not only for safety, but for handling and other things. It is sort of the heart of the bike. I think.

The F3 fork is spendy. A Reynolds, or other Serotta branded fork is less so.

I am fully prepared to spend the extra $$$ on the F3 if the price can be justified by other than, "hey, it's a Serotta" or any other drivel.

I have a bias towards steel forks, but Serotta doesn't make them anymore. I could get one from another builder, but Serotta knows what they are doing and if they say that a carbon can be just as good I am prepared to listen.

Can anyone, including someone from Serotta who monitors this, comment on the F3 and why it might be superior to the other carbon forks? It seems to have larger blades. Is the carbon better? Is it filled with something better? Is the steerer stiffer because of more layers? Etc.

Short question: What makes the F3 worth more than the other forks?

PS - This is not a cynical question and I am not doubting that the F3 might be better. I just want to hear some reasons why.

Smiley
01-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Better or worse who's to really say. Here's what I tell a client that asks this question, the Fork made by Serotta NOT branded by them ( read O2 ) carries a lifetime warranty like the frame. Also and more importantly is IF you have any front end wobble issues ITS SEROTTA's problem that can't be blamed on a third party fork. Yes you pay a tad more for this peace of mind but it's worth it. And finially Yes in my mind the fork's made by Serotta are BETTER.

CNY rider
01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
My Legend has an O2 on it. I've put on thousands of miles.

Last fall I bought an Ottrott from a forumite, with an F3. Since I got it late in the fall, it was only ridden a couple of hundred miles before it went in the basement for winter. That makes my experience with it a little limited.

I'm 145 pounds, not a powerful muscle in my body, and I absolutely can't tell the difference. Both look to be very high quality forks. I don't know you, so if you are a Clydesdale you may want the opinion of someone bigger than I am.

SoCalSteve
01-09-2006, 03:19 PM
F1, F2 and a F3...

But, the F1 is on my Hors Cat..The F2 on my CSI and the F3 is on my Ottrott....

All very different bikes, different geometry, etc...

I can tell you that I am a big guy and the F3 (in 8.5) works very well. Whether its worth the extra $$$ over an Ouzo Pro, that I can't answer for you. It is a very stiff and well engineered fork, for sure.

Hope this helps (even a little bit).

Steve

Fixed
01-09-2006, 03:40 PM
bro the way you ride you want the best fork you can get i.m.h.o. get f 3 like steve has cheers :beer:

Serotta PETE
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
F1, F2 and a F3...

But, the F1 is on my Hors Cat..The F2 on my CSI and the F3 is on my Ottrott....

All very different bikes, different geometry, etc...

I can tell you that I am a big guy and the F3 (in 8.5) works very well. Whether its worth the extra $$$ over an Ouzo Pro, that I can't answer for you. It is a very stiff and well engineered fork, for sure.

Hope this helps (even a little bit).

Steve

I can tell you that JASON from SEROTTA was very excited about this fork when it was designed and approved. Based on my respect for his ability and knowledge, this is the fork I would go with. He really knows his stuff!! (This is why the frame I have has the F3)

Fixed
01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
bro you can p.m. mr smith at serotta he is really a nice bro ,I bet he'd be glad to help you .cheers :beer:

vaxn8r
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Sounds like the beauty of the F3 is it's customizable with varying lay-ups. Otherwise, if you know a std Ouzo Pro works then why not use that and save some cash for something else?

Brian Smith
01-09-2006, 05:27 PM
The F3 is worth the money over an Ouzo Pro the way a french press is worth the money over a "regular" drip-blend cup of local tweaker Joe. How much better it is depends upon how much you value how the fork works for you (which sounds like a very considerable amount) and upon how much your riding puts a fork to the test. If you want to be able to have an influence on the rigidity of the fork you're riding, get the frame made for the F3, which is a couple of millimeters longer than the Ouzos or the F2s, and some others, so that way if the fork is not EXACTLY the way like it, you'll have no problems deciding what to try next. That would be my approach anyway. Additionally, there is more tire clearance through the F3 than most others, so if you might like to use a true 25 or larger, you'll be that much more capable of it.
When the fork comes to you via Serotta, there are so many more hands and eyes that get laid upon it in order to inspect and influence the quality of the fork that ships to you, particularly the alignment and finish of it, so there is that reason to have the fork come with your frame to you.

Personally, I like that the dropouts are titanium, as compared to aluminum, so that tips the scale toward the F3 versus some others, and that they are SOME kind of metal, as compared to carbon, so that tips it toward the F3 versus yet others.

I also like that the offset (some say "rake") can be selected and used as a design criterium, not simply settled upon and accomodated.

If I had to choose between a less optimal fork or a less fancy group, I'd choose the less fancy group, but then I have more respect for what Serotta's folks do than what the component mfrs do....and I'm picky about forks.

ClutchCargo
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Sounds like the beauty of the F3 is it's customizable with varying lay-ups. Otherwise, if you know a std Ouzo Pro works then why not use that and save some cash for something else?

fwiw. Hard to believe the F3 is that much 'better' than than an Ouzo Pro. Of course, if you're real wealthy, even a little bit better might be justification enough (but then, what is "real wealthy"?) Anyway, if memory serves, there was a pretty interesting (though perhaps by now dated) write-up on forks on the Spectrum site. I think Tom K. liked the Ouzo Pro.

ride on!

Fixed
01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
bro you just heard the bike and fork made for each other and saab is a really freakin good rider and he is picky about forks the bro was a pro cheers :beer:

Climb01742
01-10-2006, 04:14 AM
My Legend has an O2 on it. I've put on thousands of miles.

Last fall I bought an Ottrott from a forumite, with an F3. Since I got it late in the fall, it was only ridden a couple of hundred miles before it went in the basement for winter. That makes my experience with it a little limited.

I'm 145 pounds, not a powerful muscle in my body, and I absolutely can't tell the difference. Both look to be very high quality forks. I don't know you, so if you are a Clydesdale you may want the opinion of someone bigger than I am.

cny, also being a lightweight weiner :D i'd be curious about your impressions of your legend vs ottrott. was your legend built for you? what were you looking for, ride-wise, in the ottrott that your legend wasn't giving you? thanks!

CNY rider
01-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Climb-o

I've had my Legend, which was custom built for me, for 1.5 years. It is phenomenal in every way. I know there are the threads-of-the-week, saying Ti is too flexy, then saying Ti Legends are too stiff for little guys. Bah. I'm never going to flex anything. I live in a really hilly area and what's most important to me is that the Legend climbs like a goat, and descends smooth like butter. I just feel incredibly comfortable on the bike. I've never enjoyed cycling so much as I do on the Legend.

The Ottrott is really a purchase on a whim. I drooled over one when I was buying my Legend. Then one showed up here on the classifieds, very close to my size, and went unsold for a while which led to a really low selling price. I would not have bought it otherwise. I've only ridden it a few hundred miles, and it was almost all in the cold and rain, so it's premature to compare the two. That will have to wait for spring.
:beer:

Climb01742
01-11-2006, 04:10 AM
Climb-o

I've had my Legend, which was custom built for me, for 1.5 years. It is phenomenal in every way. I know there are the threads-of-the-week, saying Ti is too flexy, then saying Ti Legends are too stiff for little guys. Bah. I'm never going to flex anything. I live in a really hilly area and what's most important to me is that the Legend climbs like a goat, and descends smooth like butter. I just feel incredibly comfortable on the bike. I've never enjoyed cycling so much as I do on the Legend.

The Ottrott is really a purchase on a whim. I drooled over one when I was buying my Legend. Then one showed up here on the classifieds, very close to my size, and went unsold for a while which led to a really low selling price. I would not have bought it otherwise. I've only ridden it a few hundred miles, and it was almost all in the cold and rain, so it's premature to compare the two. That will have to wait for spring.
:beer:

cny, thanks a lot. can't fully explain why but i have this hankering for a legend, so your impressions are appreciated. come spring, i'd be curious about your side-by-side thoughts. now, pray for spring! ;)

William
01-11-2006, 05:16 AM
I am fully prepared to spend the extra $$$ on the F3 if the price can be justified by other than, "hey, it's a Serotta" or any other drivel.

I have a bias towards steel forks, but Serotta doesn't make them anymore. I could get one from another builder, but Serotta knows what they are doing and if they say that a carbon can be just as good I am prepared to listen.

The F3 is not a bad fork and you'll probably like it a lot. But as you say you have a bias toward steel forks. Mr. Kirk can build you one and he was a long time instrumental Serotta employee and tech contributor to many of their products.

Zank could also build you a sweet fork as well. Reasonable price and top notch quality. Bottom line: "Effen sweet"! :cool:

Go with what you like.

William

Orin
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Personally, I prefer the F1 fork I used temporarily in my Ti Rapid Tour over the Serotta steel fork it came with... Only thing was, the F1 was a heavy beast - about the same as the steel fork, so there was a big why question... Then there was the lack of clearance with the F1 and anything above a true 23mm tire. Even so, I think I'll rebuild the RT and put the F1 back on it.

My Legend also has an F1 and it is the best handling bike I have. No complaints there.

The F3 can only be better (right Brian?) and if tire clearance isn't an issue, I'm sure I'd prefer it to a steel fork.

Orin.

Fixed
01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
The F3 is not a bad fork and you'll probably like it a lot. But as you say you have a bias toward steel forks. Mr. Kirk can build you one and he was a long time instrumental Serotta employee and tech contributor to many of their products.

Zank could also build you a sweet fork as well. Reasonable price and top notch quality. Bottom line: "Effen sweet"! :cool:

Go with what you like.

William bro I agree cheers :beer:

Dr. Doofus
01-11-2006, 02:45 PM
just pimp it

saab

just

pimp

it