PDA

View Full Version : Rochester NY Forumites.....

OldDog
01-09-2006, 10:25 AM
In the near future I will be in town on business. Any reccomendations for a good ITALIAN eatery?

I hear Maro Via Abruzzi's is a delectable place, as well as Agatinia's (sp?)

Where do you guys go for good pasta and red sauce?

dbrk
01-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Olddogpal,
I'm not so fond of Mario's Viz Abruzzi, thinking it overrated and the sauce not that interesting. Others, of course, have their own opinions. I prefer the more low-key, albeit far less fancy Bernucci's which is just down Monroe Avenue from Mario's in the Pittsford Plaza. For a better meal, try the Rio Bamba on Alexander Street in Rochester proper. For better sauce yet in Rochester, call my mother: 100% Italian, homemade, and far, far better than any of these places. Call for reservations.

dbrk

Argos
01-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey,

If you want to experience some of Rochesters best with the all the atmosphere of a college dorm room, you should go to Nick Tahou's for the World Famous Garbage Plate!

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/Ambrosia_Times/November_97/4.6HowTo.html

<insert homer simpson drooling sound here>

I went here maybe 14 years ago, but I still remember it. God that was good eats, though I was hung over or on cough syrup through most of the early 90's, so it may have just been the experience....

OldDog
01-09-2006, 12:14 PM
dbrk-issimo, your advice I will heed. Bernucci's or Rio Bamba it is. I did check out Abruzzi's on the web, and it seems to be a rather large, multi location conglomerate, with additional related business's associated, marina's, condo's in FL. etc. Which suggests variable, mass produced food. I'm glad I asked.

I'd love to meet mom. Without ever meeting you to date, it is appearent she raised a fine boy with exquisite taste in both food and cycles. We (Patty and I) make the trip from NE PA two-three times a year to Lake Cayuga to stock up on wine, riding in the nicer weather. A tdfl this year? Maybe Aimie would like to try Pattys Spectrum 650C, photos in Williams Zank thread.

Thanks and take care.

OD

dbrk
01-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey,

If you want to experience some of Rochesters best with the all the atmosphere of a college dorm room, you should go to Nick Tahou's for the World Famous Garbage Plate!

When you eat Nick's famous plate you achieve bodily immortality, a perfect alchemical transmutation. There is so much delicious, greasy, absolutely exquisite YOUDON'TWANNAKNOW in a garbage plate that it guarantees a long, no, a permanent existence.

For the perfect breakfast the place is Sweet Sue's in Flint, on the way to Geneva on Routes 5/20. Here there is a "gravy with bisquit" [sic] of such mysterious composition as to be worthy of scientific enquiry.

I would be happy to lead any Rochester visitors to either of these august establishments. And Olddogpal, if you like, give me a call when you get near (or in) town.

d[oesn't get out much]brk

davids
01-09-2006, 01:01 PM
This is pretty funny, because I've eaten in Rochester many, many, many times, and it never occurred to me to ask for recommendations here!

Just for some context - My wife's grandmother lived in Rochester for as long as I knew her. We visited her for many years - more than 10 - before I found out that she lived about 1/2 mile from a lock on the Erie Canal. And a lovely park... :crap: Let's just say, we didn't get around too much. Dining? The Char-Broil on Monroe. Sometimes the Coaltower. And when we really wanted a fancy meal, the Scotch and Sirloin. And it didn't really change when my mother-in-law returned. Fine dining still isn't part of the visits.

The best meal I've had in Rochester is at a small Indian restaurant on Monroe, somewhere near Alexander. Not as good as the superb Pakistani-influenced restaurant in my neighborhood, but still very, very good. Sorry I don't remember the name! Professer?

hypnos
01-09-2006, 01:47 PM
OldDog,

There are plenty of places in the Rochester area that serve "pasta and red sauce", their menus all look the same to me. If you want something a little different/better, in my opinion, try Ristorante Lucano or Bacco's. These are small, family operated restaurants. Reservations are recommended.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Last time I was out that way was for dbrk's get-together and he fixed a mean layout of Indian and other foods. I think you should just drop by his place at, say, about 2am, knock REAL loud, and I'm sure you'll get a friendly reaction! ;)

PM me if you need directions! :rolleyes:

BBDave

OldDog
01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Well thanks pals for the confusion. I LOVE pasta in sauce. I have one day there and way too many choices. And I like to eat, I'll be going from place to place all day. So much for the diet. :D

OD

SGP
01-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Olddogpal,
I'm not so fond of Mario's Viz Abruzzi, thinking it overrated and the sauce not that interesting. Others, of course, have their own opinions. I prefer the more low-key, albeit far less fancy Bernucci's which is just down Monroe Avenue from Mario's in the Pittsford Plaza. For a better meal, try the Rio Bamba on Alexander Street in Rochester proper. For better sauce yet in Rochester, call my mother: 100% Italian, homemade, and far, far better than any of these places. Call for reservations.

dbrk

with the exception of mamma dbrk's cooking (which i have not had) i second these nominations.

nick's is best experienced for the first time between 2 and 4 am with a belly full of beer and a head full of fumes.

for indian food i suggest raj mahaals and india cafe on monroe and the india houses (there are two) on clinton.
bon apitite

OldDog
01-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Saturday night I took dbrk-pal's advice and visited Bernucci's. What a delightful experience! Had Pasta Burnucci - linguini topped with garlic, articokes, black olives, crushed tomatos ricata and parmesian cheese's all mixed up in marinara sauce.
It was fantastic!!!! So good I went back at noon Sunday, before I left town and got two more orders to go. Had some for breakfest today....savory!

Highly recommended when your in the area.

Thanks Douglas!

soulspinner
01-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Next time youre in town try the Northside Inn in East Rochester. The food and the riding were wonderful last Friday( it was 60 degrees!).