PDA

View Full Version : Another Convert ...to Brooks

Smiley
03-07-2004, 07:26 AM
I ride on occasion with a really good strong rider whom I have re-fit on his Bianchi Bike. It was really satisfying to get a call from him telling me that he took my advice and TRIED a Brooks saddle . He was so delighted with the results after 200 miles that he has ordered a Brooks for each of his bikes. I told him as well as you my fellow forumites ( made up this word) that its about SIT BONE placement and this rather BIG Strong rider needed to get his sit bones on the wider saddle that Brooks offers. I mention this as most of you maybe looking for a better alternative to your plastic saddles. Why not give Brooks a chance. I know my man Anhieda Ride will swear by the same facts.

Rider name witheld because many DC riders will know him, they can tease him when they see his rigs adored with Brooks saddles, get outta his way when he drops you though. Happy Spring riding to all my friends.

bags27
03-07-2004, 08:04 AM
I agree, Smiley. Once broken in, a Brooks becomes your personal saddle. One way to think of it is: with a plastic saddle, the first fit is the best fit, and then it only gets worse; with a leather saddle, first fit may be hard (depends on the saddle) but it almost always gets better and better and better.

Ahneida Ride
03-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Smiley,

Keep preaching Smiley ! IF it were not for my B67, i'd
be off my bike. Frankly I just cannot comprehend modern seats.
If ones seat bones are not firmly established on the
Seat/Saddle, then essentially one is getting a glorified wedgie !!!

My Brooks B67 is perhaps the best investment I've made.
I urge thoses riding in pain the give the Brooks a shot.

The Capt may dissaprove, but I kinda perfer the tension
bolt on the loose side. This offers a degree of slop in the
saddle and maximun comfort.

Yea a Tension bolt !!!!!! YOU determine the amount of flex !
What a great idea. One can dial in the comfort. It works too !!!

I just hope the Brooks does not go the way of the F1 and DKS.

Oh yea, Brooks Saddles look KOOL !!!!!!
Rich thick leather, Chrome, Brass ....... YEA !!!!!

BigMac
03-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Captain:

As a fellow longtime Brooks fan, do you not find it a bit disconcerting was Selle Royal has done to pricing of these designs? Heck I've had a B17 on at least one of my bikes for last 30 years, so I'll keep using them regardless of price. Maybe that's the point that SR realizes so prices be damned, we want big fat margins! My complaint is more with SR's penchant to resurrect old designs like Swallow, offer hand-crafted versions with fancy stitching, special green or dark brown options in several models and now titanium rails. With more models and more variations comes increased production costs due to retooling each time a production run is made and increased inventory costs with all of the new variations. Something about the KISS rule seems appropriate here. Keep the same 3-4 shapes, all in black leather and perhaps the Honey version, steel rails, copper rivets...done. Keep the price at $75 or less and everybody wins. If these new colors and resurrected designs do not equate to double or triple the sales volume, I suspect the line will be back in the financial dumpster from which it so recently emerged.

Enough ranting for a Sunday, bottomline is Brook's saddle designs are superb, let's get out and use'em.

Ride on!