PDA

View Full Version : The Medicine of Cycling Conference, Ben Serotta & Bike Fitting

RedRider
10-05-2013, 04:07 PM
This is Ben Serotta's latest blog;

http://benserotta.com/2013/10/05/mirror-mirror/

Mirror, Mirror.
Posted on October 5, 2013
Part II on the state of bike fitting

No, I’m not obsessed with bike fitting, but these days I am on a tear about integrity, the honesty of purpose or the absence of either.

Recently, a cyclist assaulted me electronically with a four-punch barrage over an experience he’d had seven years ago. Having paid for ‘professional fits’ at four locations that delivered four very different results he was rather convinced that I, and the fitting school I started represented nothing more than a marketing sham. Two thousand, five hundred fifty-five days later he was still peeved.

While over the years the overwhelming majority of feedback I’ve had from consumers has been extremely positive, I have a feeling that this individual’s experience is probably more common than the industry would like to admit. I never did receive any of the details from this hapless fellow- whether the differences were in millimeters or centimeters, nor were any of a myriad of circumstances that could have revealed valid explanations for the variations provided. But in truth, at a macro level those details don’t really matter. The point stays the same-the industry cannot yet guarantee consistency to a public that finally understands that ‘the fit’ matters.

But there is hope.

The Medicine of Cycling Task Force (MOC) is a non-profit organization that was formed by a group of doctors, PT’s and bicycle fitters with the noble goal of trying to establish standards of ‘best practice’ for the sport’s practitioners. Everything from bike fitting to how emergency responders should prepare for a bike race, to dealing with face lacerations falls underneath the MOC umbrella. Praise should go to the Interbike 2013 organizers for giving MOC a 90-minute presentation slot to address bike fit.

There, two of the task force’s founding members, Curtis Cramblett and Wade Hall, demonstrated the essentials of a professional bike fit while highlighting the standard guidelines—principles that are widely supported by almost the entire bike fitting community. In an honest and transparent effort to prove their non-partisanship, Curtis and Wade did their best to tip their hats to over a dozen companies and ‘schools’ who now participate in fitting the world’s cyclists. The room was filled to standing-room-only and it was gratifying to witness the obvious enthusiasm of both the presenters and attendees. When the Q&A was over, still left on the table to discuss and debate further was everyone’s lingering question: “but what is the best?”

Conveniently for me, the 4th Annual Medicine of Cycling Conference (where I was to join as a panelist) was being held right on the heels of Interbike, so the quest for the best continued unimpeded. Hosted at the US Cycling Headquarters in Colorado Springs, the opening day featured lectures on topics such as triage management at events and various graphically detailed discussions of dealing with traumas. Day two of the conference covered more jaw dropping medical discussions (yes, literally what happens when your jaw is uh…) as well as two hours of presentation and discussion on bike fitting. Seated along side me were undeniably some of the best minds from the ‘fit’ world and to a person all agreed, that the science of ‘best fit’ is, like delivering ‘the best’ of anything in medicine. It’s an evolving art complimented by training, tools, talent and testing.

As a great case in point, one attendee asked Dan Guillemette, MSC, BSC from Team Sky, “when are you going to fix Chris Froome’s bike position?” It was a question that hundreds of fitters would have loved to be able to ask, thinking, “Yea, if only I could have Froome in my Fit Studio for a couple hours imagine what he could do then!” You see, for the fitting obsessed, the Team Sky star’s seemingly awkward bike position is something that fitters have been clucking about since ‘Froomie’ burst onto the scene during the 2012 Tour de France. Not taken aback, Guillemette explained that they are proceeding with care, testing, trying small changes and learning about this one exceptional athlete a day at a time and finding what may appear to be obvious is not necessarily the case. They are assuming nothing. Words to live by.

So for the moment, where does this leave fitters who want to deliver the best service and cyclists everywhere who want to receive the best fit? My advice is frustratingly simple.

Fitters need to approach each cyclist the way Team Sky works with their athletes. Assume nothing. Proceed with discipline, humility, and honesty, taking special care to preserve your integrity. Confidence will follow. Use your tools, which is all that they are, but most of all use your eyes, ears, ask lots of questions and see each fitting as a process of discovery. Your clients will trust you.

Cyclists, ask your fellow cyclists for recommendations. Don’t be afraid to ask your fitter for referrals and when possible, the referrals should be with individuals who are somewhat like you- age, sex, ability, and cycling discipline (TT, Tri, Road, etc). Chances are far more likely than not that you’ll have an enjoyable experience and your cycling time will be the better for it.

In the meantime, have a great ride,

Ben

[/I]

The Medicine of Cycling Bicycle Fit Consensus Statement

http://www.medicineofcycling.com/assets/Medicine_of_Cycling_Bike_Fit_Consensus_Statement.p df

sworcester
10-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I agree, it isn't an exact science. I got a fitting from a Serotta dealer when I measured for my current La Corso in 2006 and then from a different method in 2012. Only change was cleats (not in the Serotta plan, at least at the time) and the stem. I have slight neck and lower back pains that I would blame on core strength (actually lack of).
I enjoy my time on the bike but would venture a guess that a lot of pain isn't from the fit, but lack of core fitness. Lower back and neck , numbness (probably the most common complaints along with knee issues) can be from either.
It is a constant struggle to keep up with fitness. I think that if you were to get fitted on any single system and maintain that fitness, you would probably do well. Most subjects don't and then (I think) blame it on the fit.

Fixed
10-06-2013, 08:39 AM
As we say in yoga if the alignment is correct then prana (energy ) can flow freely
The same can be said about being the proper position on Your bike for Your body so the energy can flow freely ..meaning more power longer riding less discomfort
Just my two cents
Cheers :)