PDA

View Full Version : Bike STORAGE options question

plugkev
10-05-2013, 09:45 AM
My steel track bike is going to be on inactive status over the fall and winter and I need some advice on storage. Unfortunately, I cannot keep it in the living area or lean it in our bedroom, hang it on the wall, or let it sleep in my kids beds and make them sleep on the floor.

So, what is the healthier steel bike storage option:

1. Slightly moist Portland, OR basement
2. Fairly dry Portland, OR attic that is vented and will get nearly as cold as the outside temperature

christian
10-05-2013, 09:47 AM
#2.

Framesaver the inside. Cosmoline the outside. Wrap in paper.

Steve in SLO
10-05-2013, 09:51 AM
I vote for number 2. The temperatures in your area should not adversely affect your bike, but damp sure will. If you want to be doubly safe, you might find a large bag to put the frame in, and seal it with some desiccant. Also, if you have a leather saddle or handlebar tape, you might want to protect that from hungry rodents.

Ken Robb
10-05-2013, 01:21 PM
My only caveat re: attic storage-if there are wide temperature swings up there that may cause some condensation. If the insulation is in the attic floor for instance the sun beating on an uninsulated roof might warm the attic at mid-day and then the temperature could drop quite a bit at night.

Oh wait! Portland-winter-sunshine????? NAH!:)