PDA

View Full Version : what is porper in a training crit ?

Fixed
01-09-2006, 06:41 AM
bro here is my question is it proper to chase your team mates in a training crit? I didn't chase any breakaways that had my new team mates in them ,though I could have. I'm on a new team this year .cheers :beer:

William
01-09-2006, 06:45 AM
bro here is my question is it proper to chase your team mates in a training crit? I didn't chase any breakaways that had my new team mates in them ,though I could have. I'm on a new team this year .cheers :beer:

Generally:
Only if you jump on someone else's wheel and let them pull you up. If they can bridge the gap with you in tow, you now have at least two team mates in the break. To chase down a team mate in a break on your own is usually a :no: .

William

<edit> I guess I should have asked if your "training" crit was against other teams, or just your team training together. If there are other teams I would say the above applies.

Tailwinds
01-09-2006, 07:27 AM
I, too, think it is a :no: to bridge solo up to your teammate(s) -- or to help someone else bridge up. Sit in and let someone else do the work.

Did you join BBC?

Fixed
01-09-2006, 07:34 AM
sis t.w. we are on b.b.c this year some people think in a training crit it doesn't matter but I think you pratice the way you race .one cat was yellin at me to work harder to chase I pulled through but I didn't pull long or hard .oh yeah we dropped that cat with 3 laps to go cheers :beer:

JStonebarger
01-09-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree that you should practice good tactics in a training race, but if you can bridge up on your own, by all means do it. Just don't take anyone with you (sit on their wheel instead) or, worse still, tow the whole field up to them.

Too Tall
01-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Well of course guys are going to yell at you to work...sounds like you were doing a good job of setting tempo on the front and not being obvious about shutting down the race...good work :) Next time it's your turn.

Tailwinds
01-09-2006, 09:36 AM
[CENTER]sis t.w. we are on b.b.c this year some people think in a training crit it doesn't matter but I think you pratice the way you race .one cat was yellin at me to work harder to chase I pulled through but I didn't pull long or hard .oh yeah we dropped that cat with 3 laps to go cheers :beer:

Congrats on your new team! BBC are good people and one of the top teams in FL -- also have an awesome record at Nat's! I think I know at least one of the reasons why you switched (if it pertains to an old thread here), and I would have done the same thing.

manet
01-09-2006, 09:43 AM
http://images.zhrodague.net/d/3141-1/drewzhrodague%20-%2004Oct%20-%20We%20sell%20ear%20plugs.jpg

Argos
01-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I think you were supposed to lead out your son... :D

That's pretty awesome that you guys can go out and get in some racing together. I can only imagine how cool that is to line up with him. Good Luck!

Fixed
01-09-2006, 11:01 AM
bro it's the best he's great thanks cheers :beer:

lnomalley
01-09-2006, 11:13 AM
fixed. race as many races as you can. do multiple events on the same day if you can. race from all the different parts of the pack and try everything. watch the better racers in the higher categories.

you'll learn.. it takes time... but not too much. for me the hardest part was learning how to finish the race.. how to be in the right spot at the right time (it comes easy now). the biggest thing i learned was.. race the race you are in..and not the race you want it to be. practice crits are never the same as a real one.. but use the practice to learn how to move up within a pack, learn how to attack with everything you have, learn how many laps you can stay oout front, and make all your mistakes there.. and then learn how to sit in.. be 5th wheel in the last lap, and understand your jump. learn how to save energy and be relaxed in unrelaxing situations.

but.. on the negative.. don't get so caught up in practice races that you are spending to much time in intensity.. because you'll just peak too early and too slow and you wont get faster.

and think. if your team mate is up the road in a break.. and is strong.. and there you are doing all the work behind him to bring the other teams to him.. yes..that's a bad thing. because he'llbe tired, you'll be tired and all other other guys will have had a free tow to the front.
if you didn't have confidence in your guy up front you should have jumped on someone elses attampt to briddge upand also not worked.. unless you felt your team mate was out numbered in the break.

in higher category races.. rarely does a break win.. they usually bury themselves, dont' know how to work together, and come back to the field without the field ever having changed its pace. you just have to know what race your racing. it changes as you move up.

it's why it's such a great sport. you can win on smarts.

Tony Prioli
01-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Once in a crit that was two u turns, and two long straight aways. I was in a break with 4 others. My team was in the pack (4-5 teammates). My gap was about 35 seconds. I noticed my entire team pulling the pack back to me. They did catch me, and then attacked. Later when the race was over, they all started to ***** at me for not racing well. Turns out, they are not happy with the odds of 1 guy in the break, for a top 5 position, and the rest of the team fighting for 6th. They said I was supposed to sit in, wait for them to catch, attack the group, and then bring a few of my teammates with. Then we would have a handful in the break, and take more of the total prize money. That was 1994, and it never happened again. So maybe there is an argument to chase the team, if money is the main goal???