PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Experts: How to Determine Colnago Model?

johnkjos
10-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I have a Colnago road bike that I bought new in 1978. I am refurbishing it and have nearly completed the conversion back to the original Super Record components and original style tubular wheels. I have a poster in my office of the Pope being presented with a Colnago bike in 1979 (apparently by the Colnago family) that looks identical to my bike (except that it is gold plated). I am told that it is called a Mexico Oro. How can I tell if my bike is a Mexico model or if it is another model made at the time. The LBS in Santa Monica where I bought it from said it as made in Italy. I think Colnago started making frames in Asia about a year later.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Kjos

KidWok
10-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I don't recall Colnago doing anything in Asia until recently with CF bikes made by Giant.

Let's see your resto?!

Tai

chismog
10-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Pictures would :help: a lot.

From that date, it is most likely a Super or a Mexico. Super is Columbus SL or SL/SP, Mexico was a special lighter tubeset- KL. Super/Mexico frames were produced in Italy, not in Mexico or Asia.

Your frame predates most of the crimped tubing which allows relatively simple model ID. The visible difference between 1974-'79 Mexico and 1974-'79 Super is that the Mexico has chainstays that are not crimped at all (round-oval-round).

wallymann
10-04-2013, 06:26 AM
that was an offshoot that ernesto started in the 70s i think, featuring lower-quality frames made in mexico.

Fixed
10-04-2013, 07:27 AM

From that date, it is most likely a Super or a Mexico. Super is Columbus SL or SL/SP, Mexico was a special lighter tubeset- KL. Super/Mexico frames were produced in Italy, not in Mexico or Asia.

Your frame predates most of the crimped tubing which allows relatively simple model ID. The visible difference between 1974-'79 Mexico and 1974-'79 Super is that the Mexico has chainstays that are not crimped at all (round-oval-round).

T thePictures would :help: a lot.

I had one back in the day I loved mine
I always thought it had to do with the epic ride eddy did in 72 ,cycling world was pretty excited by that ride
Cheers

Grant McLean
10-04-2013, 09:16 AM
How can I tell if my bike is a Mexico model or if it is another model made at the time.

http://www.raydobbins.com/misc/Colnago_Catalog/colnago_catalog.htm

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Colnago/colnago_dating.htm