PDA

View Full Version : Mountain bike convert back to tubed from tubeless

stien
10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I have a set of cross max wheels that are set up tubeles from the PO. I don't want to run tubeless. Is it easy to switch back or am i going to have to painstakingly clean all the sealant off the rim surface?

fjaws
10-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Pretty easy really. Old sealant will wipe off the rim easily with a microfiber or terry towel.

10-4
10-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Just curious, but why would you NOT want tubeless?

stien
10-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Just curious, but why would you NOT want tubeless?

Flat in the woods. Can't get the tire off. Even in my garage. I think it's tubular glued on the bead. Can't get the valve stem open either. Not worth the hassle.

biker72
10-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Quite a few of our customers have gone back to tubed tires. Mostly road riders. Same complaints as stien. Too much hassle.

oldpotatoe
10-04-2013, 07:42 AM
I have a set of cross max wheels that are set up tubeles from the PO. I don't want to run tubeless. Is it easy to switch back or am i going to have to painstakingly clean all the sealant off the rim surface?

Tire off, wipe goop off, take tubeless valve off/out

Replace with a tube, and tire, pump up-go ride.

See above, meetoo...

christian
10-04-2013, 07:53 AM
I use tubes and will continue to do so. I rarely get pinch flats and when I do I can throw in another tube in 3 minutes.

pdxharth
10-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Is it possible to get dried tubeless goop off the inside of a tire? Or not worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Harth

Tire off, wipe goop off, take tubeless valve off/out

Replace with a tube, and tire, pump up-go ride.

See above, meetoo...

oldpotatoe
10-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Is it possible to get dried tubeless goop off the inside of a tire? Or not worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Harth

I have heard that antifreeze will take it off..but haven't tried that one.

JAGI410
10-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I use a stuff plastic scrub brush (dollar store) to peel the dried goop from tires and rims. I just knock down any clumps, it'll never be perfect.

Since moving to proper tubeless rims on my mountain bike, I have not had a single issue with my tubeless setup. I suggest giving it a try before reverting to tubes completely.

bcroslin
10-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Who glued the bead with tubular glue?! If you bought the wheels used with the tires installed I would just rip the tires off and start over. I had a flat with my tubeless road wheels on Sunday and I was able to remove the tire, take out the stem and then stick a tube in in under 5 min's.