PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Result and Bearing Grease Footnote

keno
03-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I have a Concours set up with Velomax Orion IIs and Pro Race. I have a steel Spectrum set up with Ksyrium SSC SLs and Veloflex Paves.

Doing wheel comparisons, I put the Ksyriums on the Concours. The bike was much less comfortable than the Spectrum with that setup, and drastically so on rough road surfaces. The Ksyriums turned the butter ride of the Concours to vinegar, yet on the steel Spectrum, no such problem. I would have expected the Concours simply to have a little bit of a buzz, for want of a better word, rather than turn into a Witch of Eastwick. The Ksyriums work great on the Spectrum under the same conditions.

What's happening here?

BTW, while I have searched for the post without success, I believe that someone wrote that they repack the hubs on their Ksyriums with a certain auto grease and end up with wheels that roll great. Anyone remember that one or have suggestions for even better results with the Ksyriums?

Thanks,

keno

Kevin
03-07-2004, 07:30 AM
The search continues for a way to have the Ks live up to their hype, at least on a Ti bike.

Kevin

Sandy
03-07-2004, 07:48 AM
King (of the mountains) Keno,

Did you put the Velomax Orion II wheelset on the Spectrum? I would be interested in how the ride compares to the Ksyrium on the steel Spectrum. Trying the Velomax with the Veloflex Paves on the Spectrum would also be interesting.

Some say that the Ksyrium gives too stiff and harsh of a ride, whereas some say that is not the case. It is most interesting that the Ksyrium was so much harsher on the Concours. Did you use the same air pressure on each ride with the Ksyrium and the same route?

Sandy

keno
03-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Kevin, the Ksyriums are great on the Spectrum. No complaints there; rides super. I expected the Concours and the Ksyriums to make a great combo. BTW, I finally ordered the digital level.

Sandy, everthing the same in test. Have not tried the combos you suggested. Wrestling the Paves around is more than I can bear for the moment, so I won't be trying them on the Velomax for a while. I have a set of Paves on the shelf and when the Pro Races need to be retired, I may try the Paves on the Velomax. I also have some Vredestein Fortezzas in the queue. Ah, what's a guy to do?

Keep doing the 360 degree thing, Sandy.

keno

Kevin
03-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Keno,

You will be suprised how much of freak you will become with the digital level. I have used it to make sure that every saddle on every bike is level within 1/100 of a degree. I use it to get the same pitch on every set of handlebars. Good luck.

Kevin

Ozz
03-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Kevin,

WOW! you are a freak....where can I get one of those digital levels?:)

Kevin
03-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Ozz,

To be more accurate I am a weak, freak geek. You can but the digital level at your local hardware store or at Amazon. The cost is about $90. The amazon link is below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...hi&n=228013

Kevin

bubba
03-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Sandy

Some say that the Ksyrium gives too stiff and harsh of a ride, whereas some say that is not the case.

Same is said about aluminum and steel frames. Maybe alot of it is subjective. Maybe some is just in the head? :confused:

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2004, 01:44 PM
. . . about the harsh ride of the ksyriums. Compared to the CXP-12’s on my ’84 Vitus aluminum--with an aluminum fork--they ride like a magic carpet! :p

BBDave

bostondrunk
03-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Keno,

You say that
Ksyriums + Spectrum = comfy (Tom = one cool frame builder dude)
Ksyriums + Concours = crappy

but, did you try another wheelset with the Concours? Maybe the Serotta is not comfortable for you, and has nothing to do with the wheels????

Sandy
03-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Boozer,

I saw Keno's bike. It really is gorgeous, with the contrasting paint. It is a candy apple paint type and it seems to have a beautiful sparkle and great richness and depth, in total contrast to Keno's rather sluggish riding style:) :)

Spectrumless STill Serotta Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
03-08-2004, 10:02 AM
. . . .You gonna take that kind of stuff from Sandy?!?! :mad:

Want me to rough him up for you when I see him in April? :rolleyes:

BBDave :beer:

Kevan
03-08-2004, 10:14 AM
but is there an announced April group ride that I've been somehow purposely excluded from? Those are just the rides I want to attend.

Sure...let's kick the Calfee guy.

;)

Kevan
03-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Nevermind.

keno
03-08-2004, 11:40 AM
bdrunk, ride is fine with the Velomax wheels on the Concours.

bbd, Sandy is the only person I know with braille handlebars. What he sees who the hell knows.

keno

Serotta PETE
03-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Do I see another bike for you??? Bill is too busy working these days and you can probably sneak off with his.... PETE