PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on CX bikes for Road Use

FlemishCompact
10-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm looking to build up an aluminum bike as a fun throw around bike that I can beat up and not worry about. I immediately thought CAAD10 but now I'm considering something like a CAADX or a Crux.

I'm probably not gonna race CX but I am intrigued by the wide tire clearance and the ability to jump on a fire road every now and then.

Thoughts?

John H.
10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Either one would be great. And you can find a Crux aluminum for cantis cheap.

shovelhd
10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
My commuter bike is a Redline Conquest Pro with a rack, pack, lights, and fenders. I have it fitted with 25's.

JonB
10-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I recently got a Crux Expert - the one with the Sram Red Hydro disc brakes. Using the stock (heavy) wheels that it came with, I put on some 25mm gatorskin road tires. Its a terrific road bike and really does feel much like the tarmac. With the CX tires, its fun to do road/dirt road/singletrack rides. For awhile I had considered using this as my "do-it-all" bicycle. Just have different wheelsets/tires to swap out. It'd be very easy to do. Its a great bicycle.

tmf
10-02-2013, 08:07 PM
I just built up an older Crux Elite canti frame that I'll ride in a few cross races, but it will also serve as my winter/gravel bike.

cfox
10-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Ridley makes a cheap aluminum cross frame with fender mounts. I've come close to buying one about ten times (for the reasons you mention), but I never get around to it. Also, the words "throw around bike" and "CAAD10 do" not go together well; you are wise to look onward for a beater. Those things dent if you breath too hard on them.

vqdriver
10-02-2013, 08:13 PM
i think that's a popular option for just the purpose you're talking about. just keep in mind the geometry differences. some of those cx bikes have a crazy hi bb, which you may like just fine. but it'll feel different.

FlemishCompact
10-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Ridley makes a cheap aluminum cross frame with fender mounts. I've come close to buying one about ten times (for the reasons you mention), but I never get around to it. Also, the words "throw around bike" and "CAAD10 do" not go together well; you are wise to look onward for a beater. Those things dent if you breath too hard on them.

You make a darn good point about throwing around a CAAD10

FlemishCompact
10-02-2013, 08:22 PM
i think that's a popular option for just the purpose you're talking about. just keep in mind the geometry differences. some of those cx bikes have a crazy hi bb, which you may like just fine. but it'll feel different.

I'm very unfamiliar with anything but road geometries. Would descending on a semi technical descent be very different on a Crux vs a Tarmac?

Rekalcitrant
10-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Whenever the weather is crappy or I have a problem with my road bike I ride a beat up aluminum Felt cross bike with 25mm commuting tires set up 1x10. I love my road bike (Moots compact SL), but honestly it always surprises me how much I like riding my cross bike on the road. And this is a bike that I have really beat the hell out of.

rounder
10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I have a cross bike that I bought for knocking around but have been mainly riding it on the road just to see what it can do. The thing rolls really great (thanks Kelly). I am going to ride it in the Seagull in Salisbury this weekend.

Gummee
10-02-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm up to 3 cross bikes (Full Tilt Boogie, Altamira, Crosshairs) and down to one road bike ('96 Allez A-1). I'll put 50/34 on all the CX bikes come spring and ride em like road bikes till fall. I may stick a 36/52 on the Altamira and race some crits on it if I don't wind up with a cheap carbon road frame/fork before next spring.

If I had to pick one bike, it'd HAVE to be a cx bike: put knobbies on em and ride em off-road farther than they have any business being. Put some aero wheels on em and race em. Stick some training wheels on em and train on em.

:thumb

M

FlemishCompact
10-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Can anyone comment on how cantis feel on longer descents?

markie
10-02-2013, 09:47 PM

They start out brave, emboldened by the thrill of descending. After a while this bravery subsides and they start to become a little scared as the rode drops away. If the descent is too long, it just becomes too much for them to handle and they start to squeal and shudder with fear.

John H.
10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
If you want better brakes- put Paul mini-v's on.

FlemishCompact
10-02-2013, 10:37 PM

That might do it for me! Adds a little bling too.:)

Steve in SLO
10-02-2013, 10:48 PM

If you want better brakes put just about ANY mini-v's on

enr1co
10-02-2013, 11:07 PM

Had a Ibis Hakkalugi used for the road and set up with Avid Shorty Ultimates- worked well for long, road descents but required just a little bit more effort than nice dual pivot road brakes.

FlemishCompact
10-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Had a Ibis Hakkalugi used for the road and set up with Avid Shorty Ultimates- worked well for long, road descents but required just a little bit more effort than nice dual pivot road brakes.

Okay that makes things a lot clearer

oldpotatoe
10-03-2013, 07:00 AM
I'm looking to build up an aluminum bike as a fun throw around bike that I can beat up and not worry about. I immediately thought CAAD10 but now I'm considering something like a CAADX or a Crux.

I'm probably not gonna race CX but I am intrigued by the wide tire clearance and the ability to jump on a fire road every now and then.

Thoughts?

It's unfortunate that 'these' bicycles are designated 'Cyclocross' bicycles, as if ya gotta put them on your shoulder and run around every once in a while on a ride.

'Cross' bikes, particularly those with fender and rack eyelets(whether you use them or not), make great 'all arounders'.

Skinny tires on and a great road ride, fat knobs on and a great dirt road/trail bike. BB drop and all that other 'stuff' will disappear as you ride these things 'all around'.

oldpotatoe
10-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Or Tektro 926 or just about any 'mini'(85-90mm) or so 'V'..pauls are nice but expensive, IMHO.

Oppps, Steve in SLO beat me to it.

ahumblecycler
10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I own both a CAAD10 and a Super-X. For the record, the CAAD10 is hardier than earlier comments suggest.

If I could only have one bike, I would have the Super-X. I could easily race road on this bike as I race cross; I would only need to tweak the cockpit to get in my preferred road racing position. I bomb down winding hills at the same speed and sureness as on my CAAD10 using 23mm Conti 4000s. I ride around on Schwable 35mm commuter tires - tank tires but durable - and currently have Vittoria tubeless for off-roading (32mm). I race on Clement PDX 33mm.

I have TRP 8.4 installed on the Super-X. The brakes work better than SRAM brakes, but not surprisingly not as well as my DA brakes on my CAAD10. Having said that, I have never felt scared that I would be unable to stop in time.

I hope this helps. I can answer additional questions if you like.

christian
10-03-2013, 07:37 AM
I would ride my Zanconato everywhere and anywhere.

Fixed
10-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Cheap steel
Cheers

sparky33
10-03-2013, 08:13 AM

Good pads, good canti's and proper installation make for excellent performance on descents. I like them quite a bit.

There are also a bunch of ways to do canti's badly. Mini-Vs are more idiot-proof but I find them to be too punchy for general road riding.

sashae
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
I would ride my Zanconato everywhere and anywhere.

^-- this. I've gotten rid of all my 'road' road bikes, as I like running fatter road tires -- the 700x30 Grand Bois Cypres are glorious.

David Tollefson
10-03-2013, 08:36 AM
I'd also give the Kona Jake or Rove a look. Disc brakes...

pakora
10-03-2013, 08:42 AM

I just did Iron Cross, which had several hair-raising long descents, including the very fastest I've ever gone on a bicycle. I did them two ways - no brake at all (really how you have to do them), but on the craziest descent with a dirt turn with ruts and the line changing, I started to panic at 50mph. After that I took descents like a wimp with tons of brake unless it was dead straight.

I never thought once about my brakes (Pauls) and at speed I had to worry a lot more about too much brake than not enough. That's without fancy pads - standard Jagwire ones.

roydyates
10-03-2013, 08:55 AM
they start out brave, emboldened by the thrill of descending. After a while this bravery subsides and they start to become a little scared as the rode drops away. If the descent is too long, it just becomes too much for them to handle and they start to squeal and shudder with fear.
lol :)

carlineng
10-03-2013, 10:30 AM
I do nearly all my road riding on my CX bike, which has a Paul Mini-V brake setup. At least for me, differences in geometry are negligible. I actually like the way my CX bike handles way more than my old road bike. The brakes are great, but I wouldn't give them a huge edge over cantis.

Advantages:
- Great stopping power
- Easy to set up
- Look effing sweet

Disadvantages:
- Not much pad-to-rim clearance
- Pads wear quickly
- Don't modulate very well. This gets worse as the pads wear down to be more flush with the rim, until you re-toe them.

I have cantis on my touring bike (Paul Touring), and I've never had a problem stopping on long descents, even loaded down with 40 extra pounds of touring gear. They are a pain in the ass to set up though, and they can't stop on a dime like the Mini-Vs. I've never had a problem with brake shudder, but it certainly does not look like fun.

biker72
10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I have one of these (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2007/tricross/tricrossexpertdouble#features) with 700x28 Conti 4 Season tires.
This is my commuter bike.

witcombusa
10-03-2013, 11:20 AM

No issues with my Shimano cantis on long Colorado descents.

bfd
10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Or Tektro 926 or just about any 'mini'(85-90mm) or so 'V'..pauls are nice but expensive, IMHO.

Agree! I use to run a set of Suntour XC pro canti brakes and hated them! Chatter, Shudder and Squealing. I adjusted for days and it might work for what seemed like a few minutes before going back to the CSS!

Then I put on a cheapie tektro 926al in the front and it was like night and day! Smooth, quiet and no chattering or shuddering. Wow, simply amazing performance! If you have canti brake mounts and want good brakes, get *ANY* mini-v brakes.

Also, the 926 works great with Campy ergo levers too!

rando
10-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I rode my carbon road bike with 23c Krylion Carbon/Pro4 Endurance multiple thousands of miles this last Winter in MN. Granted there was a few days I had to carry a stick to make it so my wheels turned since there isn't much clearance. A few kind folks even pulled over to examine what form of mental deficiency I suffered when the mercury was overloading the little bulb at the bottom. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and echo Christian's sentiment about his Zank.

Just bought and old steel road bike with room for 32's and fenders to play around on again. Other than size it is pretty much the same bike I was riding on the various iterations of unpaved roads outside Denver in the late 80's. With the amount of rubber being made for that type of adventure now I figured a reminder was in order.

FlemishCompact
10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Okay okay. You guys sold me. I pulled the trigger on a Crux this morning.

Cheers!

KidWok
10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Yes...you could ride a cross bike and be just fine on the road. The higher BB will disappear underneath you, especially if most of your riding is in a straight line and doesn't have a lot of high-speed descending. You'll also get used to the slightly twitchier steering, because cross bikes are designed to make faster turns at slower speeds than a road bike. If a cross bike on the road is ALL you ride, this will be your normal and you may never want for more.

That said, I've gone back to road bikes after trying cross bikes on the road. Having the right handling bike for the right application is nice. If OP is not going to race cross, I wouldn't recommend getting a cross bike, especially with so many "gravel" bikes coming out now.

Tai

VA-Scooter
10-03-2013, 12:45 PM
^-- this. I've gotten rid of all my 'road' road bikes, as I like running fatter road tires -- the 700x30 Grand Bois Cypres are glorious.

After riding Grand Bois 700x30 I would not think of having a bike unless it has room for these tires -- These tires are beyond incredible.

FlemishCompact
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Yes...you could ride a cross bike and be just fine on the road. The higher BB will disappear underneath you, especially if most of your riding is in a straight line and doesn't have a lot of high-speed descending. You'll also get used to the slightly twitchier steering, because cross bikes are designed to make faster turns at slower speeds than a road bike. If a cross bike on the road is ALL you ride, this will be your normal and you may never want for more.

That said, I've gone back to road bikes after trying cross bikes on the road. Having the right handling bike for the right application is nice. If OP is not going to race cross, I wouldn't recommend getting a cross bike, especially with so many "gravel" bikes coming out now.

Tai

I just pulled the trigger on a cx bike. I hope it's not something I'll regret. From what people have been saying, It doesn't seem like I will.

rrudoff
10-03-2013, 01:49 PM
I have been using my IF Planet X as my main bike for 10 years. With two sets of wheels, one with 28s and one with knobbies, I am set for most anything. I have not really felt any issues with handling, even in fast descents, though it does not handle quite as well as my Pinarello Prince. One major change I made recently was TRP Mini Vee brakes in lieu of cantilevers. On really long steep descents I was feeling under braked and the squealing could never really be eliminated. The TRPs are way more powerful, modulate well enough for me, and are quiet. Except if you are racing Crits I don't see any real disadvantage.

veggieburger
10-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Tai

Twitchier steering? I find the exact opposite. My Italian road bikes are far twitchier than my cross bike....not uncomfortably so, but it's noticeable.

mikoglaces
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I bought my cross bike to have a bike that I could put fatter tires on for winter commuting (studs) or for dirt road riding, but I have often used it as a road bike with road tires. It works well as a road bike, though I really don't like cantis as much as road brakes because modulation is not as good and brakes need constant adjustment so as not to squeek. Also I have to remember that brakes are set up opposite of brakes on my road bike, though of course you can change that. I should mention my cross bike has a 50/34 crankset so the gearing is really meant for the road. Only other issue is I am sitting up higher on the cross bike because of longer fork but you could adjust this with a different stem I suppose.

KidWok
10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a cx bike. I hope it's not something I'll regret. From what people have been saying, It doesn't seem like I will.

Don't think you will regret it either. They are pretty versatile.

Tai

sparky33
10-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I bought my cross bike to have a bike that I could put fatter tires on for winter commuting (studs) or for dirt road riding, but I have often used it as a road bike with road tires. It works well as a road bike, though I really don't like cantis as much as road brakes because modulation is not as good and brakes need constant adjustment so as not to squeek. Also I have to remember that brakes are set up opposite of brakes on my road bike, though of course you can change that. I should mention my cross bike has a 50/34 crankset so the gearing is really meant for the road. Only other issue is I am sitting up higher on the cross bike because of longer fork but you could adjust this with a different stem I suppose.

Chainring gearing is about the only real reason I can think of for not using a bike as both a road and cross machine. A 50T ring is awesome for road riding but totally useless and excessive for cyclocross - 44 or 46T is more appropriate...
I'd pick the cx gearing if I had to choose one for both....
Not a big deal if you aren't racing cx though. Just ride in that case.

gearmeister
10-04-2013, 08:19 AM
I use an old cross bike as a commuter, but also use my cross bike on the road with road tires when cross season hits... While the geometry of my road bike and my cross bike are basically the same I like to get the feel of the cross bike so we are one on race day.. I have swapped over the cross chain ring (48) for a larger one (52)to keep up with the big dogs on the road...

oldpotatoe
10-04-2013, 08:22 AM
I use an old cross bike as a commuter, but also use my cross bike on the road with road tires when cross season hits... While the geometry of my road bike and my cross bike are basically the same I like to get the feel of the cross bike so we are one on race day.. I have swapped over the cross chain ring (48) for a larger one (52)to keep up with the big dogs on the road...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

EvanTA
02-03-2014, 09:10 AM
It was time for me to get a new bike, and since I tried out cross this year and fell immediately in love, I decided I would get a new cross bike instead of a new road bike. In order to save money and space, I decided this cross bike would be intended to service me year-round. I settled on a redline conquest disc pro, then stripped the drivetrain and threw on SRAM force 22 just to bling it up a bit, and on the assumption that 11-speed might be a new standard.

If I do road in the spring I can have a trainer set of wheels and a race set of wheels with similar gearing, and that should do me fine. Right now it's got 50-39 chainrings which should be great. I'll adjust the seatpost and seat to road fitting (assuming I get myself a little higher up and a little further back) and keep that combo dedicated for road.

As fall approaches I can take the race wheels and set them up for tubeless cross, keep road tires on the trainers for weekly rides, swap out the chainrings for 46-36, and throw in a different seatpost/seat combo that's been set up for a cross fit (a little lower down and a little more over the pedals), and I'm thinking I should swap the chain out, too. I'd keep the previous chain for the next road season, assuming I can get two seasons out of it.

The Redline has a lower BB than your average cx bike, which I liked, and in most other respects is only 1cm here or 1 degree there different from CAAD10 geo, with the exception of the chainstays which are a fair bit longer. Seems to be fairly similar geo to a road bike, and if the steering does feel a little twitchier, well I'll like that since I like sharp handling. The disc brakes shouldn't give me any trouble on long descents.

Final weight is about what my previous road bike was, so I'm not losing much there. I'll dig up this thread at the end of spring to report on how well it did as a road race bike, but I can't imagine I'll have complaints. It's a hot bike, and it's gonna slay in the fall, assuming I keep the riding up.

Tony
02-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Will any mini-v brakes work with SRAM Force shifters?
Thanks

EvanTA
02-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Second this. I had the frugally minded Tektro mini-vs (about $20 each) and they rocked, used them racing cx and riding road, always did the job. Even had dudes ride up to me at races to joke about how they gave up messin with their Paul's in favor of these.

ecsnsmb
02-03-2014, 02:45 PM
I have a Crux Expert that i just swap wheel sets on and use for road and cx and riding trails. Everything. Awesome bike. Had cantis on it for a while but swapped to TRP mini vs and won't look back. Also a bit more aero if you truly care. Love this bike. Looking to hop on a strictly road bike soon and designate this my cross rig but in the mean time, I couldn't ask for anything better or trouble free.

Vinci
02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Will any mini-v brakes work with SRAM Force shifters?
Thanks
I can't speak for "any", but TRP CX9's didn't have the best feel with road levers, IMO. They worked fine, but didn't feel as strong as I would prefer.

Shorter V's would probably be fine, though.

RFC
02-03-2014, 02:52 PM
If I had to pick one bike to keep . . . .

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0105r.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0105r.jpg.html)

bcroslin
02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
I bought a Stevens prestige CX bike here on the forum a month ago and I've ridden it on the road more than I've raced it and I love the bike. Actually had me seriously second guessing my Giant Propel because of how comfortable it is and it's aluminum. I'm doing a few gravel races here in FL in March and I plan on setting it up with 25's and leaving the Propel at home.

Also, try out the new TRP RevoX brakes. They are the best canti's I've ever ridden. Lots of stopping power that aren't on/off like the Pauls mini-motos.

Fixed
02-03-2014, 03:09 PM
They start out brave, emboldened by the thrill of descending. After a while this bravery subsides and they start to become a little scared as the rode drops away. If the descent is too long, it just becomes too much for them to handle and they start to squeal and shudder with fear.

:) funny but true
Cheers

rounder
02-03-2014, 08:19 PM
:) funny but true
Cheers

True but not funny for me. Love my cross bike, but the scariest ride I ever had was last spring when riding down hills on wet roads at 40+ in the wind on the thing. The harder I gripped the brakes the worst it handled. Was glad to not run of road in the turns. They were canti brakes, but think the tires also contributed...Michelin jets.

Gummee
02-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Of my 3 CX bikes, the Altamira still has 34/44 rings on it. The Full Tilt Boogie has 39/53 rings on it. The Crosshairs has 34/50 rings on it. I've been spending a lot of time (when it isn't blue cold out) on the FTB.

M

02-04-2014, 01:02 AM
I can't speak for "any", but TRP CX9's didn't have the best feel with road levers, IMO. They worked fine, but didn't feel as strong as I would prefer.

Shorter V's would probably be fine, though.

TRP has two mini V's, the CX9 and the CX8.4. The only real difference is in the leverage. I believe they recommend the CX8.4 to match the pull ratios of SRAM levers. I bought CX9's to go with some of TRP's own levers, which are designed to match SRAM levers, and after going to CX8.4's I got noticeably firmer shifting. However even with the CX9's, the performance was vastly superior to any canti brake. The only reason to use cantis is if you need the mud clearance, and that's not what we're talking about here.

Another idea for this kind of bike is an old cross bike with flat bars and MTB hydraulic disc brakes with hydraulic MTB levers. While the road stuff is pretty expensive, you can get a good set of MTB hydraulics for not much, add some shifters, and you're in an upright position but on a great bike for bombing country gravel roads and for commuting, around town, and so on. I used to think it looked silly, but then started seeing more and more cross racers doing their thing with mountain setups on cross disc bikes. One of the slickest bikes I've seen in this category used a Shimano Saint clutch rear derailleur, single chainring in front, and XTR hydraulics. Mountain bikers have ridden this kind of setup on these kinds of roads for years ... so I finally asked what I was missing.

chomeo
02-04-2014, 05:19 AM
^^ what he said.

And especially regarding the TRP set up. I switched to the TRP8.4 from cantis and couldn't be more happy. I have the 8.4 match up with Shimano levers which was not recommended but not entirely impossible as I find it more to my liking. I was told by the TRP tech that the only negative thing with this combo was due to more modulation which would decrease braking performance. Works fine for me.

Lanterne Rouge
02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
I'd always thought that a CX bike would be the right bones for the fabled and mythical one bike stable.

I've always particularly liked this:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6066/6060942270_ed506238b6_z.jpg

Although the build and aesthetics are you exactly what I would do the idea hits the nail on the head. I’m currently looking to purchase a 60cm Ritchey Breakaway cross for this very reason.

Kupe
02-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I've pared down to one & only, and don't miss any of my others. Just having fun riding, again, and not worrying about what bike for what. And to the brakes, I started running TRP 8.4's with Campy levers and they've been great!

http://i57.tinypic.com/33vhfsl.jpg

pdmtong
02-04-2014, 02:03 PM
It's unfortunate that 'these' bicycles are designated 'Cyclocross' bicycles, as if ya gotta put them on your shoulder and run around every once in a while on a ride.

'Cross' bikes, particularly those with fender and rack eyelets(whether you use them or not), make great 'all arounders'.

Skinny tires on and a great road ride, fat knobs on and a great dirt road/trail bike. BB drop and all that other 'stuff' will disappear as you ride these things 'all around'.

I bought a s-works tricross a few years ago. that was specialized's race day offering at the time (crux now).

Its more bike than I need for the handful of times i line up, but guess what? in full fender mode its an awesome winter bike and only gives up some weight and high speed handling to my real "road"bikes when it is dry.

It needed to be multi-purpose to rationalize the expense and the races/rides I have used it on have paid for it over and over again.

Started with BR550's. scary when wet. Got the 8.4's when they came out and havent looked back. Disc would make sense too one day but since we are in a drought, I get another year at least out of this one.

benc
02-04-2014, 02:17 PM
TRP CX9 = Shimano
TRP CX8.4 = Shramm

I rode my cross bike for a year while I was between road bikes. It was fantastic.

http://ckdake.com/gallery2/gallery/86430-4/_MG_9001.jpg

Vinci
02-04-2014, 02:53 PM
TRP has two mini V's, the CX9 and the CX8.4. The only real difference is in the leverage. I believe they recommend the CX8.4 to match the pull ratios of SRAM levers. I bought CX9's to go with some of TRP's own levers, which are designed to match SRAM levers, and after going to CX8.4's I got noticeably firmer shifting. However even with the CX9's, the performance was vastly superior to any canti brake. The only reason to use cantis is if you need the mud clearance, and that's not what we're talking about here.
I was using Tektro R100 levers with the CX9's. They worked a whole world better than the Tektro cantis they replaced, but they felt mushier than I liked.

The R100's are modeled after Campy's older shape (I think), but I don't know if that translates at all into pull ratios.

With a set of RL520's, though, the CX9's feel great. I just wish they had the ergonomics of the R100's.

Kupe
02-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Also...

TRP CX9 = Shimano
TRP CX8.4 = Shramm ...older Shimano 9-speed, and Campy