PDA

View Full Version : Are they terrible?

Lanterne Rouge
10-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Ok so as some of you know my commuter bike was stolen :mad:, details here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136911

So I need a new one and I'm on a budget, are the Nashbar and Bikesdirect bikes so terrible? Specifically this:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott_special_chrome.htm and this:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_559086_-1___202614

Thanks and have a dancing banana :banana:

cinema
10-02-2013, 11:36 AM
you will barely be able to fit 28s on the BD one, if that. 25s for sure.

I would buy either of those bikes for the commute any day. i'm just waiting for them to get some more in stock at BD.

cp43
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I have a nashbar frame that I built up, and it's been solid as a commuter and dirt road bike for 5ish years now.

I think you'd be ok with either of those bikes. But, do plan on going over everything when you get it. Expect things like the headset to not be adjusted correctly, or to have the wrong number of spacers. Once you've fixed that kind of thing, they should be fine.

Chris

vqdriver
10-02-2013, 12:09 PM
there's a few more here if you haven't considered them yet.
http://www.pricepoint.com/Bikes-Frames/Road-Bikes-Frames/Commuter-Urban-Bikes-Frames/

fwiw, i have a sette reken that i built up with parts lying around the garage. the frame is solid and versatile, if not special.

AngryScientist
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
i have a BD bike that i love. it's a bit heavy and the welds are not the prettiest, but other than that, it does all the things a bike should do...

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
The stuff from BD and N-bar are perfect for commuters (imo), but as has been said, check "adjustables" and if you're getting a frame, plan to have the BB faced/re-faced. Buddy got one of N-bar's alu MTB frames ($149, iirc), and except for "feeling as heavy as a tank," he's still using it to bang around the neighborhood today, 3 years later.

dancinkozmo
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
would this be beyond your budget ??...

http://www.wabicycles.com/classic_bike_spec_11.html

Lanterne Rouge
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
would this be beyond your budget ??...

http://www.wabicycles.com/classic_bike_spec_11.html

Funnily enough I was looking for that link......thanks.

Louis
10-02-2013, 01:34 PM
So I need a new one and I'm on a budget, are the Nashbar and Bikesdirect bikes so terrible?

1) I'm like a broken record on this, but it's the truth: I have a number of very nice bikes (Serotta, Waterford, etc.) but my daily driver is a Nashbar frame (purchased just the frame from them) and I love it.

2) Some of my buddies at work have purchased Bikesdirect road bikes and have been perfectly happy with them. I have a BD 29er and I'd say it's so-so, but it was super inexpensive, so I can't complain too much.

BumbleBeeDave
10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
. . . for a daily commuter specifically because it IS cheap and I would assume it WILL get stolen or trashed somehow eventually.

Rain, snow, salt, sun, thieves . . . Unless I was commuting a pretty long distance each day and needed the durability/performance/handling not worth it to spend big bucks.

BBD

Not the Slowest
10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I like the nashbar, try to wait for a 20% coupon which is about 2x a week, works better than the Free freight.

Note: looks like you "may" be able to add fenders on the rear or a rack, but unsure on the front.
I would call only because they change some specs and web may not reflect them.

Robert

Lanterne Rouge
10-02-2013, 02:16 PM
I like the nashbar, try to wait for a 20% coupon which is about 2x a week, works better than the Free freight.

Note: looks like you "may" be able to add fenders on the rear or a rack, but unsure on the front.
I would call only because they change some specs and web may not reflect them.

Robert

Where or how do I get a coupon? Just check every day?

fiamme red
10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Where or how do I get a coupon? Just check every day?Code today is 73518 for 21% off on any single item (including bikes & frames) at Nashbar.

GScot
10-02-2013, 02:29 PM
We have State Bicycle (www.statebicycle.com) company hipster fixies. A bit heavy and no fancy parts but they are durable good enough bar bikes. Bought them after Thanksgiving on black friday specials but normal price is $429 and $389 for a decent city bike.

jmoore
10-02-2013, 02:43 PM
We have State Bicycle (www.statebicycle.com) company hipster fixies. A bit heavy and no fancy parts but they are durable good enough bar bikes. Bought them after Thanksgiving on black friday specials but normal price is $429 and $389 for a decent city bike.

You beat me to it

false_Aest
10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Commuter bikes are commuter bikes.

Buy what you can afford and be satisfied that they're 6 bajillion times better than what folks in the 60s rode Le Tour on.

Louis
10-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Unless you can improve the security of where you keep the bike, maybe a garage-sale deal might be the best option.

cachagua
10-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Two pages of responses, and no one's suggested painting "PINARELLO" on the downtube?

Ken Robb
10-03-2013, 10:04 AM
I think a good NYC commuter might be an old rigid mtn. bike. My 1989 Bridgestone MB3 makes a fine urban assault vehicle. 3x7 Shimano, eyelets for racks/fenders and--TA-DA--a seat post clamp that allows me to easily remove the release lever so the seat post can't be removed. This was a stock item on Bridgestones back then and I don't know why they weren't more widely used. I think 26" wheels are inherently tougher than larger wheels too.

Fixed
10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
. . . for a daily commuter specifically because it IS cheap and I would assume it WILL get stolen or trashed somehow eventually.

Rain, snow, salt, sun, thieves . . . Unless I was commuting a pretty long distance each day and needed the durability/performance/handling not worth it to spend big bucks.

BBD
+Bike thieves are relentless
Cheers

Kirk Pacenti
10-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I have this bike for sale. $450 shipped. Size 54cm. Probably less than 2,000 miles on it. These are just a couple pics I pinched on line. I will be happy to send photos of the actual bike if you're interested. Looks like 28's would fit fine.

Cheers,
KP