PDA

View Full Version : Tyler?

bostondrunk
01-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Any news been released about Tyler? Isn't he supposed to find out this month if he can race in 2006?

BdaGhisallo
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
They are determined to punish him whether his appeal is granted or not. He is the poster boy for the new WADA style crackdown and they are not going to let him go! Even if he is found innocent or not guilty, he has still missed about 16 months out of competition. I am cynical enough to believe that they would like to drag this out until the end date of his given suspension! Then, no matter what, whether he is guilty, or whether he scuppers a lot of new tests, he still gets f*cked royally!

If his appeal is granted, I hope he sues the hell out of them for loss of income and defamation, though he may have had enough of the legal system by then.

BBB
01-08-2006, 04:38 PM
The hearing is set to resume on 10 January, which as I understand will enable the parties to put further evidence before the CAS panel and then to make closing submissions. No word on when the award will be delivered, but presumably it will be as soon as possible with a view to enabling Hamilton to return to racing early in season '06 - assuming the verdict is favourable (and assuming a team picks him up at this late stage). If the appeal is denied, then it's curtains for Hamilton I would have thought.

lnomalley
01-08-2006, 05:13 PM
crap.. i can't say it out loud. rumour say we'll see him in cali very soon. that's as much as i can say....

andy mac
01-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Hamilton hearing slated Tuesday
By Agence France Presse
This report filed January 8, 2006
Olympic time-trial champion Tyler Hamilton, trying to clear his name after receiving a two-year blood doping ban, has a Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) hearing Tuesday in Denver.

After closing submissions are made in Hamilton's appeal of a U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) ruling, the panel will begin final deliberations and render a decision, a process that could last a few weeks.

Hamilton tested positive for illicit blood transfusions during the Vuelta a Espaņa in September 2004, just weeks after winning Olympic gold during the Athens Games. Last April, USADA imposed a two-year suspension. Hamilton wants CAS to overturn that ban.

The 34-year-old American also tested positive for blood doping after Athens, but the B sample for that test was destroyed when it was frozen. The International Olympic Committee ruled it could not strip Hamilton of his medal without a B sample as a back-up test.

gdw
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/cycling/article/0,1713,BDC_2409_4374111,00.html

bluesea
01-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Who cares other than out of a Ripleyian sense of curiosity.

oldguy00
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Who cares other than out of a Ripleyian sense of curiosity.

I care. I'd like to see him cleared to race. He's done nothing that every other pro rider hasn't done.

sspielman
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I care. I'd like to see him cleared to race. He's done nothing that every other pro rider hasn't done.

...every rider except for Lance.....and maybe George....and Roberto....well, maybe you could include Roberto.....

slowgoing
01-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Clear him because they all dope? Hmmm. That's an interesting suggestion. I don't think I'd go there. By that logic, the riding authorities should just give up trying to clean up the sport.

Besides, they apparently don't all dope the way he did because he's the only one (or one of the few) who failed the test.

andy mac
01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Besides, they apparently don't all dope the way he did because he's the only one (or one of the few) who failed the test.[/QUOTE]

and a few of the other guys on his team. 5 in one year i believe.

funny how they sacked the team dr. soon after...

slowgoing
01-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Were the other guys on his team charged with transfusing someone else's blood? I thought they were charged with other doping offenses (EPO, etc.) but maybe I missed it.

If so, maybe the doc was just storing each of their own blood/components for later use and got them mixed up. If so, they're lucky nothing worse happened to them.

oldguy00
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
If so, maybe the doc was just storing each of their own blood/components for later use and got them mixed up. If so, they're lucky nothing worse happened to them.

Thats what I was thinking too, since I believe there was at least one other on the team that got charged the same time Tyler did, for the same offence. Sounds like they got their two blood bags mixed up...

jerk
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Clear him because they all dope? Hmmm. That's an interesting suggestion. I don't think I'd go there. By that logic, the riding authorities should just give up trying to clean up the sport.

Besides, they apparently don't all dope the way he did because he's the only one (or one of the few) who failed the test.

they don't all get caught.

they don't all win.

jerk

BumbleBeeDave
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
. . . noone should have to wait 16 months for a resolution of their case. Even if athletes under this system are not specifically promised "due process," it's still ridiculous to keep him hanging this long.

BBDave

slowgoing
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
It is a long time, Dave, but remember, this is an appeal. The original decision came down months ago. If Tyler had won there, he would have been riding already.

jerk
01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
. . . noone should have to wait 16 months for a resolution of their case. Even if athletes under this system are not specifically promised "due process," it's still ridiculous to keep him hanging this long.

BBDave

why?

why does he even deserve a second chance? it's their game and their rules. he could always choose a different game to play if he doesn't like the rules.

jerk

andy mac
01-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Thats what I was thinking too, since I believe there was at least one other on the team that got charged the same time Tyler did, for the same offence. Sounds like they got their two blood bags mixed up...

general rule of thumb when living with a bunch of guys: always label your lunch, drinks and bags of blood.

they should have posted a sign on the fridge.

:argue:

bluesea
01-09-2006, 04:29 PM
general rule of thumb when living with a bunch of guys: always label your lunch, drinks and bags of blood.

they should have posted a sign on the fridge.

:argue:

Similar thought came to mind when I watched "Trainspotting".

e-RICHIE
01-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Similar thought came to mind when I watched "Trainspotting".

that's funny!

Fixed
01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
bro he switch to off road motorcycles there is an aussie. that lives here that i here makes 6 million a year he ride a road bicycle pretty well too.

Grant McLean
01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Anyone remember track sprinter Ben Johnson?
At the time, no one could make any sense of the fact that Johnson
tested positve for Stanozolol at the Olympics. It made no sense
for him to be taking that seroid in competition.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ben-johnson-athlete
at the inquiry:

Top Canadian sprinter Angella Issajenko, Johnson's training partner, also testified at the Dubin Inquiry, detailing the use of steroids among Canadian track and field athletes, including Johnson and herself. Issajenko told the inquiry she had routinely injected Johnson with steroids supplied by Dr. Jamie Astaphan. She provided bottles containing what she was told was furazabol, but actually contained stanozolol. The inquiry concluded that Johnson had mistakenly taken stanozolol instead of another steroid.

ooops!

-gee

fiamme red
01-10-2006, 09:11 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jan06/jan10news

Hamilton faces CAS again

Tyler Hamilton will have his second and final hearing in front of the Court of Arbitration for Sport on Tuesday, January 10 in Denver, Colorado. The American is attempting to overturn his two year ban for blood doping, after he tested positive for the offence during the Vuelta a Espaņa in September, 2004.

Hamilton was given the ban on April 18, 2005, then appealed it to CAS in June. His first hearing was on September 8, 2005, almost a year after the positive test. It's expected that the final decision of CAS will be handed down several weeks from now.

ClutchCargo
01-10-2006, 03:49 PM
why?

why does he even deserve a second chance? it's their game and their rules. he could always choose a different game to play if he doesn't like the rules.

jerk

choose a different game, not at this point in his career. anyway, BBD's point was about due process, not second chances. the concept of due process includes a speedy resolution of the charges as a matter of fairness so a person's life isn't effectively ruined by a delayed prosecution (e.g., a defendant who is not offered or cannot make bail and remains incarcerated pending trial). at least that's what your con law prof would say.

ride on! (that's what I say :) )

bluesea
01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry, but these organizations are not courts of law.

ClutchCargo
01-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry, but these organizations are not courts of law.

One deserves fairness in one's dealings with any body of authority. The concept of due process is not limited to courts of law.

andy mac
01-10-2006, 04:10 PM
choose a different game, not at this point in his career. anyway, BBD's point was about due process, not second chances. the concept of due process includes a speedy resolution of the charges as a matter of fairness so a person's life isn't effectively ruined by a delayed prosecution (e.g., a defendant who is not offered or cannot make bail and remains incarcerated pending trial). at least that's what your con law prof would say.

ride on! (that's what I say :) )

it's an appeal isn't it? he's already been found guilty. isn't HE asking for a second chance?

today's debate: who has taken more drugs? tyler h or steven tyler?

Dr. Doofus
01-10-2006, 04:42 PM
little runt

pointy ears

beady eyes

his wife is kind of hot

though

BBB
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
One deserves fairness in one's dealings with any body of authority. The concept of due process is not limited to courts of law.

This is correct, but aside from the occasional comment from officialdom, which was highlighted by the dissenting arbitrator, I think you will find Hamilton has well and truly been given due process. This may be hard to reconcile with the fact that we are dealing with an offence that took place in mid-September 2004. However, if hypothetically speaking, we are solely concerned about time, then as I understand both the AAA, who heard the matter at first instance, and CAS, have rules enabling the hearings to be expedited. Certainly Hamilton did not ask for an expedited hearing, rather he asked for extra time to get his medical evidence together. This request was granted and as such the initial hearing was delayed. This delay was consistent with the notion of due process as he was able to get sufficient evidence together to run the defence he wanted. Denying him this opportunity would have been inconsistent with due process. I'm suprised the process is on-going, as is Hamilton by recent brief comments in the media, but I do not think either side - the USADA or Hamilton - really have anything to complain about when it comes to due process or procedural fairness.

ClutchCargo
01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
This is correct, but . . . I do not think either side - the USADA or Hamilton - really have anything to complain about when it comes to due process or procedural fairness.

But my point was not that the delay does violates of the concept of due process, but that due process is not a matter of being given a second chance. And - to respond to mr. mac - the purpose of having an appeal process is to determine whether the original decision resulted from a mistake, not to extend a "second chance."

In any event, our system of justice also includes the requirement that the devices used to determine questions of fact (such as, did he dope?) meet stringent standards of reliability. It will be interesting to see if the test at issue in this case stands up or whether it will be successfully challenged.

ride on!

BumbleBeeDave
01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
. . . andy mac and Clutch both have good points.

It WAS Tyler who asked for the extension, if my memory serves correctly. And I also recall seeing that it would only take a week or so to get a final decision once the hearing is completed.

And my real concern has come around to the point Clutch makes, anyway. In this case it's more a question of the reliability of the test used to establish the fact of his possible guilt. While Tyler has obviously made a concerted effort to frame his case around the alleged questionable reliability of the test, he is not the only one lately to raise credible questions about such tests--both for blood doping and for EPO and other drugs.

I just think Tyler makes a better point than some of the others in view of the repeated claims from the designer of the test, WADA, and the UCI, that there is NO chance of false positives or other unreliability with THIS particular test. It's ABSOLUTELY 100% reliable. Methinks they doth protest a bit too much in that regard.

Did he do it? I've gotten used to the possibility that maybe he did. But either way, I think he and others have raised some questions that needed to be asked about how reliable the testing really is. WADA and the UCI keep saying "Trust us" about the reliability of the testing they are using to ruin careers, but I have not seen either one behave in ways that encourage me to do so.

BBDave

oldguy00
01-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Looks like Hondo got a nasty suprise at his hearing....

BBB
01-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Hondo did get a nasty surprise and apparently is going to appeal to a Swiss Court. The Court may not want to get involved unless there was a fairly clear breach of procedural fairness or natural justice.