PDA

View Full Version : FFWD Wheels

Dromen
10-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Any feedback on these Dutch wheels/rims?

I was reading a thread from 2011 asking the same but it forked into a discussion about the quality of Boyd's wheels. Hold the FFWD line please.

nooneline
10-01-2013, 03:43 PM
My team's been on 'em for a while. It's not like they were given to us so no need to take this with a liberal grain of salt. Yeah, there are cheaper options out there but we've been really impressed with the caliber of the rims, the quality of the wheelbuilds, and the hardware on the hubs. We've used road carbon tubulars, road clinchers, and track tubulars of all shapes and sizes (6s, 9s, and disc/5 combos) - we like 'em all. No shortcomings whatsoever, totally reliable.

Ozrider
10-01-2013, 05:46 PM
+1, I have to agree with no one line.
I bought FFWD F6R Tubulars about 6months ago. I was looking at buying either Zipp 404's or Enve6.7's, then I test rode a pair of F6R's. they really I pressed me, the finish on the wheels is really good, they come with DT 240 or Dt180hubs and DT Aerolite spokes, or FFWD's own hub. I chose a set with FFWD's own ceramic hub.
The wheels have remained true from out the box, the braking surface is really good and in windy conditions they are really stable. I have a set of Zipp 404 Clinchers and Edge 1.38 Tubulars, and these wheels to date have been just as good. I am a heavier rider approx 90kg so more demanding on wheels than lighter riders.

German Tour Magazine tested them, and they were on a par with Zipp 404 Firecrests according to the Tour Test.
To me they feel just as fast as my Zipps, and at 1350g are lighter than the 2014 Zipps and Enve 6.7's, and at about half the price. Excellent value for money in my opinion.

carpediemracing
10-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Second hand info but a rider I'm in constant contact with in Holland has a pair of the F6R tubulars. He's racing a few times a week (some of his reports are "The Quick Step rider and I were in a break for 30 km"), racing over cobbles, up steep climbs, etc. He's been absolutely happy with the wheels. He's a bigger guy, 6'2"?, and probably in the 175 lbs range. Real powerhouse, typically hits 1400w peaks in his 2-4 hour races.

christian
10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
I've only heard good things, but the F6R on DT240s are 200 Euro more than a pair of Boras. I'd have trouble justifying that since Boras appear to be fast and strong.

Ozrider
10-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't know where you are getting your pricing, or your local supplier is getting rid of Bora Ones, but from what I have checked prices as follows:

Wiggle
FFWD F6R DT240 $1396
Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2 $2851

Total Cycling
FFWD F6R DT240 $1341
Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2 $2833

Campagnolo Boras are double the price of FFWD. If you can get Boras at such a good price please let me know where

christian
10-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Bora Ones are ~$1300 delivered to US addresses if you use the ten percent coupon at Ribble.

regularguy412
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I had my eye on those FFWD wheels for a long time. I thought they had the right combination of attention to detail, finish and engineering. Searched for a lot of reviews, but could really find nothing bad about them. Considered making the jump several times, but was always put off by the price.

I waited around and lucked onto a brand new set of Easton EC90 SL tubulars. They were the 2010 version on close out ( you know the ones that had the 'orphan' DA 10 speed freehub with the weird spline pattern). Regular price was $1799 at that time. Got them, delivered, for $1045. Just couldn't pass that deal up. I then purchased an additional freehub that would work with Ultegra and 'any' DA cassette for around $60 and still came out way ahead on price.

Pretty sure I would have gotten the FFWDs had I not found the Eastons on sale.

Mike in AR:beer:

Dromen
10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
How wide are these rims?

rice rocket
10-03-2013, 12:13 PM
They're not that wide, their philosophy is a bit different. Not sure how it compares in the real world.