PDA

View Full Version : Corima vs Campy carbon wheels

summilux
10-01-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking about a set of carbon tubulars. I've noticed that Corima prebuilts are much cheaper than the equivalent Campy or ENVE ones. For example the Corima Viva S is about half the cost of an ENVE set and about two thirds the cost of a Bora One 35. What gives? Are Corima hubs noticeably poorer than the Campy ones? I love my Campy prebuilts (Shamal and Neutron), but I'd happily put the cost differential in something else.

dd74
10-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Based on their reliability, I'd stick with Campy. I haven't heard of Corima, but if Corima have a good warranty, they might be worth a try.

thirdgenbird
10-01-2013, 06:45 PM
I've got no idea about corima hubs, but I've talked to a few people that own their rims and they all say great things.

carpediemracing
10-01-2013, 07:23 PM
I heard from someone in the industry, and I think I read it in some article as well, that Corima makes the rims for Campy.

Other than that I have nothing to contribute :)

christian
10-01-2013, 07:36 PM
I think Corima made the very first year of Hyperon rims, but that's it.

thirdgenbird
10-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I think Corima made the very first year of Hyperon rims, but that's it.

This seems plausible. Corima and Campagnolo rims look quite a bit different in all aspects. I know corima could make them to spec, but I also thought I heard they were doing it in house. I've been told spinergy is using corima rims and this is believable. They look very similar.

summilux
10-01-2013, 09:22 PM
The carbon looks really different between Corima and Campy, but I did hear that Corima makes Campy rims. One difference I found is that Corima have internal nipples while Campy's are external. I'm a tubular guy so, having to pull a tire to true would be a pain. Not that I've EVER had to true a Campy wheel.

sales guy
10-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Corima has been around for almost 40 years. Made rims, wheels, discs, frames, tons of things. They did make some of the first Campy carbon rims. But nothing in many years. They do supply for other companies. They make everything in France. Had many track world titles on the Puma frames. Fast and good looking frames. There are still some being raced.

Hub quality wise, they are very nice. On par with Campy but different. They are sealed bearing. Use alloy everything. So I am not a huge fan of the Shimano body. They spin smooth but have a different feel. Can't describe it.

As for truing, holy balls Batman. I just got a brand new set of Campy Shamals for me personally and the front and rear were out of true. BADLY!! Called campy about it they were that bad. Every wheel needs something some time. Never expected to have them that bad though straight out of a sealed box.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Corima has been around for almost 40 years. Made rims, wheels, discs, frames, tons of things. They did make some of the first Campy carbon rims. But nothing in many years. They do supply for other companies. They make everything in France. Had many track world titles on the Puma frames. Fast and good looking frames. There are still some being raced.

Hub quality wise, they are very nice. On par with Campy but different. They are sealed bearing. Use alloy everything. So I am not a huge fan of the Shimano body. They spin smooth but have a different feel. Can't describe it.

As for truing, holy balls Batman. I just got a brand new set of Campy Shamals for me personally and the front and rear were out of true. BADLY!! Called campy about it they were that bad. Every wheel needs something some time. Never expected to have them that bad though straight out of a sealed box.

Where did they come from, if I may ask?

Lionel
10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Corima is not making campy rims.

Corima makes good rims, I have winium and they are good (but I prefer my Hyperon). Many friends have corima aero and like them.

Hubs are nowhere near as good as Campy hubs.

sales guy
10-02-2013, 11:04 AM
potato

the wheels came from Ochsner. I am an industry person and ordered them from Ochsner to finish off a personal ride-Time VXRs. The box was still sealed with the campy shipping tape and everything. I called campy about it but it was the week before Interbike and I never heard anything back. Oh well. I guess I can call again.

The front was .5 side to side and .65 up and down.
The rear was 1.0 side to side and .8 up and down.

It was horrible! I didn't mind fixing them./ Just couldn't believe they came that way. Campys book said .3 and .4 is acceptable from the factory. So they were super out of true. very surprised was I. Oh well.

firerescuefin
10-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I've had Corima Aero + and Bora's...Different but equal in build quality IMO. I regret selling the Aero+s that I had and find myself salivating over some of Spinelli's custom builds with that rim.

summilux
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I have winium and they are good (but I prefer my Hyperon)...

Hubs are nowhere near as good as Campy hubs.

Lionel, what is is that you liked in your Hyperon over the Winium? Was it just hub quality? Hyperon tubulars are now only available in the Ultra Two version so they'd be about twice the price of Winiums.

Lionel
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Lionel, what is is that you liked in your Hyperon over the Winium? Was it just hub quality? Hyperon tubulars are now only available in the Ultra Two version so they'd be about twice the price of Winiums.

Some details: my Winium are laced to Tune hubs 24/28 using dt aerolite spokes. 1080g wheelset.

The Hyperon u2 are stiffer (better lacing pattern in the rear wheel and asymetrical spoke holes), they are a lot less work to hold speed on the flats but still accelerate great uphill. I feel that the rim have better "balance". Braking is also superior using campy red pads compared to winium with corima pads, in particular if it is wet. Hubs are much better too and roll incredibly smoothly.

I think that's it :)

Not saying that the winium are bad wheels, in fact they are very nice, I just prefer the Hyperon. On another note, since I bought my Bora ultra two I also sold my reynolds 46 and my Zipp 404.

summilux
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Lionel,
Have you ever used Neutrons or Shamals? I've got a carbon itch, so my decisions aren't going to be fully rational, but I'm wondering whether you felt that the Hyperon/Winium/other carbon wheel was a big step up from an alloy Campy wheel.

Lionel
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I have both Neutron ultra and Shamal ultra. For sure Hyperon are a step up. Well, if you start rationalizing too much you can certainly end up with cheaper wheels though :)

uber
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
I recently bought a set of 73mm set of wheels by Justin Spinelli (Luxe Wheelworks) using Corima rims. . Quieter than my Enve 6.7. Amazing braking with the Corima pads. Wheels are beautiful and Justin is a pleasure to deal with. I would choose them over Enve.

summilux
10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
With the Royce hubs?

uber
10-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Yup

summilux
10-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Justin makes some sweet looking wheels. Chrome hubs and silver spokes with a carbon rim is righteous cool.