PDA

View Full Version : Record RD Pulley Squeak?

NRRider
10-01-2013, 10:05 AM
So now that I managed to damage my Record hub taking it apart thinking that it was the cause of the problem, I swapped my cassette to another wheel and the same squeaking occurs while pedaling. I'm concluding it must be the RD.
Given the only parts that move while pedaling are the pulleys, is this something that is a known issue? Anything I can do short of buying new pulleys? I thought they were sealed bearings and thus can't lube....

sales guy
10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Pull them part and grease them. Might want to check the pedal spindles/seals. Those can squeak. My cleats do also at times when dry.

NRRider
10-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Pull them part and grease them. Might want to check the pedal spindles/seals. Those can squeak. My cleats do also at times when dry.

Thanks. I'm positive it's not the pedals as I have the bike on the stand and it's definitely coming from the rear.
Thought these were sealed bearings (Record 11 speed)? Can they be lubed?

sales guy
10-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Even sealed bearings can have the seals pulled with a razor blade tip and greased. I do it all the time. You can flush them or dunk them in some citrus degreaser or just take some grease and inject it or use your finger and rub it in. Just pop the seal back in and you're done.

oldpotatoe
10-02-2013, 07:49 AM
So now that I managed to damage my Record hub taking it apart thinking that it was the cause of the problem, I swapped my cassette to another wheel and the same squeaking occurs while pedaling. I'm concluding it must be the RD.
Given the only parts that move while pedaling are the pulleys, is this something that is a known issue? Anything I can do short of buying new pulleys? I thought they were sealed bearings and thus can't lube....

Take apart, add grease, put back together. Make sure the top one stays on top and outside pointed outside. 10s top one has shoulders, lower one writing goes outboard. 11s ones are marked upper and lower, with arrows.

SR/Record ones, even tho they are 'ceramic'...oooooooo, take seal off, squirt grease in there and replace seal. I'd stay away from any water based 'degreaser', they can rust the innards if left for a while before grasso.

Lube chain, take pedal spindles out and grease that also.

R2D2
10-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Is the chain a candidate also?

And it feels bad to mess up a hub or something.
But I've messed up a bunch of stuff.
It's fixable. So don't feel too bad.

Black Dog
10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Chains do squeak when they need lube.

NRRider
10-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Is the chain a candidate also?

And it feels bad to mess up a hub or something.
But I've messed up a bunch of stuff.
It's fixable. So don't feel too bad.

I lubed the chain--didn't help.

NRRider
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Having a helluva time getting the seal off of the bearing. Is there a trick to it?
The bottom pulley does not spin smoothly at all.

sales guy
10-02-2013, 11:07 AM
get a sharp razor blade, insert in the gap between the seal and the inner race and pull it up. Shouldn't be that bad.

R2D2
10-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Having a helluva time getting the seal off of the bearing. Is there a trick to it?
The bottom pulley does not spin smoothly at all.

Sounds like you found it.
I'm no help with the seal. Sorry....
Go slow.
Did find this :
http://ftp.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=howfix_deroh

Scroll down to pulley.

You can by some nice picks at SEARS/HD/HARBOR FREIGHT/etc if you go that way.