PDA

View Full Version : One pair of eyeglasses, is this possible?

dekindy
09-30-2013, 04:58 PM
I am tired of having to replacing both regular prescription and sports glasses every couple of years.

The frames on my regular glasses tended to discolor but I have found titanium that does not discolor but after 4 years they are done. Lens fell out recently and the technician looked at me and asked me how old the frames are because they are almost beyond usefulness. Actually they told me that a year ago but I have been treating them very gingerly hoping they would not break. I went ahead and got an eye exam so that there would be no danger of my prescription not being current if this happened.

I purchased Liquid Eyewear for sport frames but either from dropping them or flexing the solid aluminum frame for adjustment, the sunglass lens is cracking and the prescription insert lens will need to be replaced because my prescription changed. The frame will last forever but the LTD sunglass lens and the prescription lens are expensive so not sure if I want to continue with this system as they have not been as comfortable as I hoped.

Is there a sports frame that I can wear all the time that will last a long time?

I am a student and viewing a computer screen a lot and studying a lot and will be using the computer almost 100% of the time when I get a job so I could not afford any compromise for the nonsports application.

I have contacted Sports Optical and priced Rudy Project Ketyum and prescription lens and am finding the same as last time, that they cost about as much as my current strategy of separate regular glasses and sports glasses. The Keytum are promoted as infinitely adjustable for supreme comfort. I could save money with Oakley Jupiter Squared frames but they might be harder to accommodate my prescription.

I can just replace my regular glasses now and continue wearing the sports glasses until the sunglass lens actually breaks or my prescription changes so much that it makes changing the prescription lens mandatory. These changes could be made separate so I could spread the costs over time and not feel as much pain as spending so much money at once. I could also go with a cheaper sunglass lens and single vision prescription lens instead of progressives and save significant money on both changes. I initially went with the premium light to dark adjustment sunglass lens because I wanted to ride at night and progressive prescription lens.

tmf
09-30-2013, 05:18 PM
My prescription glasses are Oakley. The model I have is the Tumbleweed. It's a pretty basic set of glasses, but I wear them all the time including riding. When I want to wear sunglasses, I'll put some contacts in, but I wear my glasses about 90% of the time. I had a very similar Oakley model to this one as my last pair, and they lasted two years with no issues. I just wanted a new pair due to prescription change, and kept those as my backup.

They look sort of like this
http://www.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/750x350/3d/4e2af514d2f85.jpg

crownjewelwl
09-30-2013, 05:25 PM
You want the oakley crosslink...that's exactly what they're for

Ken Robb
09-30-2013, 05:50 PM
transition lenses in flexible titanium frames with spring hinges? They might match your MOOTS :)

Veloo
09-30-2013, 06:04 PM
I've gone through all this myself too. I've got astigmatism so many sport glasses can't accommodate my prescription. I have contact lenses but hate the hassle.
I currently use the Rudy Rydon with Rx insert. It's convenient but the curvature warps my view a bit.
I've had very nice Nikon Ti Rx frames, Oakley Rx frames but my current pair of IC Berlins are my all time favourites.

http://www.ic-berlin.de/epages/web.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/web/Products/M1139/SubProducts/M1139027007

Superior hinge design. Large lens coverage. Bendable arms.

I've asked opticians if they could do a closest possible Rx lens for my Rudy Rydons but they said no cuz the curvature would not match my astigmatism.

rwsaunders
09-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Perhaps take a look at the Oakley Fast Jacket, as they are really pretty kind to your lenses and frame in terms of stress when changing lenses.

Don49
09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
I've been dealing with Hidalgos from before the internet. Have a look at their online catalog, they might have what you want. http://pilotseyewear.com/Cat%20152%20web.pdf

Peter P.
09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes, one pair of eyeglasses is possible if you don't mind wearing sport glass frames for "street wear".

Only sport glass frames will give you close to the eye coverage needed while riding in a cycling position.

If you go this path, I'd recommend NO tint or Transitions STANDARD treatment, not the XTRActive. I've found the XTRActive treatment made digital billboards a blur during the daytime. At night, ALL artificial lighting had a serious amount of glare rendering the glasses virtually unwearable. The Transitions standard treatment cured the daytime billboard problem and nighttime glare was reduced about 80 percent which is about tolerable for me. And yes; I had the lenses treated with an anti-reflective coating in all cases.

I purchased my progressive prescription Oakley Half Jackets from Sports Optical. They were wonderful to work with and patient with me for roughly 6 months while I tried to figure out what the glare and blurred vision was caused by.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

eddief
09-30-2013, 06:39 PM
offers these. As I understand it the flip up mechanism snaps off when not needed. RX sits underneath. Might look too dorky for normal wear. On second look, I think Rudy gives you a choice. You can have the RX in the flip up or separately clipped in underneath the flip.

In a pinch, I have taken the flip up off of my RB3 model (no longer made) and worn them as normal glasses.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=30&item_id=SN968692

dekindy
09-30-2013, 07:10 PM
If you go this path, I'd recommend NO tint or Transitions STANDARD treatment, not the XTRActive. I've found the XTRActive treatment made digital billboards a blur during the daytime. At night, ALL artificial lighting had a serious amount of glare rendering the glasses virtually unwearable. The Transitions standard treatment cured the daytime billboard problem and nighttime glare was reduced about 80 percent which is about tolerable for me. And yes; I had the lenses treated with an anti-reflective coating in all cases.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Is standard the 0/65 as opposed to the 10/85 light to dark?

$60 anti-reflective or $120 anti-reflective? Lyndsey indicated that they have a liquid that can be applied to the lens that makes it easier to clean. When I called back I talked to Brett and he proposed the premium coding is easy to clean. My regular glasses with anti-reflective are difficult to get clean but the prescription insert lens for my sunglasses is very easy. I attribute that to the anti-reflective coating which I need for night driving and also helps with office lights.

dekindy
09-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I've gone through all this myself too. I've got astigmatism so many sport glasses can't accommodate my prescription. I have contact lenses but hate the hassle.
I currently use the Rudy Rydon with Rx insert. It's convenient but the curvature warps my view a bit.
I've had very nice Nikon Ti Rx frames, Oakley Rx frames but my current pair of IC Berlins are my all time favourites.

http://www.ic-berlin.de/epages/web.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/web/Products/M1139/SubProducts/M1139027007

Superior hinge design. Large lens coverage. Bendable arms.

I've asked opticians if they could do a closest possible Rx lens for my Rudy Rydons but they said no cuz the curvature would not match my astigmatism.

I found a dealer near to me and may take a look at these. Thanks.

dekindy
09-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Has anyone used the RoadBikeRider 15% discount at Sports Optical? I emailed Sports Optical to confirm if the discount applies to the total price or just the frame but have not received a reply yet.

carpediemracing
09-30-2013, 07:20 PM
I wear LA Eyeworks frames. I wore the same set, 3? sets of lenses, but finally dropped a book of names (literally 5 lbs or so) on them one night when I woke up with a start, tried to get my glasses, and knocked everything off the night stand.

LA Eyeworks has a line of titanium frames with the shock absorbing hinge thing. I bought a slightly updated looking one to replace the bent one. I wear them for street wear as well as when racing.

In the same vein as having a second virtually identical bike for a spare, I still have a second frame from the original shape frame. It's a slightly different color, I'd gotten tinted lenses for it, and with clear lenses it doesn't look right. Therefore I bought the newer frame. I tried to buy the old frame in the old color but they haven't been made for a while. I'm still considering painting the old frames.

I bought new lenses a few months after crushing the old glasses. I was wearing my backup frames when our son was born (hence the book of names). Very early on, the first time I tried to cut his nails, I couldn't see well enough and ended up cutting his finger. I stopped cutting his nails until I got new lenses for my glasses, and that new frame.

I tried some of the Oakley prescription frames but they didn't fit my face/head/shape. I've had them in the past, they were fine, but just a bit too extreme for me.

choke
09-30-2013, 08:04 PM
While not the 'one pair' solution, online is another option. For the last few years I've been buying regular glasses that way - Zenni Optical (http://www.zennioptical.com/) or Goggles4u (http://www.goggles4u.com/). I've had good luck with both places and the price is amazing. I recently purchased 3 pair from Zenni - one with magnetic sunglasses - for a total of $85 shipped.

I also ordered sports glasses online from FramesDirect (http://www.framesdirect.com/). If you watch the site they often have sales where the lenses are 30% off, which made my choice under $200 (Wiley X).

rounder
09-30-2013, 08:30 PM
To me, glasses are a consumable item that you have to replace every few years. The lenses cost more than the frames and have to be replaced so that you can still see. I wear progressive bifocals for every day and single prescription for sunglasses when bike riding for better peripheral vision. For me, glasses are expensive but it is worth it to have different glasses for everyday and for riding. Good luck.

Peter P.
09-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Is standard the 0/65...helps with office lights.

I don't know the light/dark ratio, but I've got the Transitions ADAPTIVE lenses. See the Transitions (http://www.transitions.com/en-US/why-transitions/comparison-chart/) web site for the various models. The Adaptive version changes shade very quickly. Behind the lenses, you never even notice they're activated or not.

Definitely get the best A/R coating you can afford. My optometrist says virtually every customer that does not purchase an A/R coating comments that they regret the decision.

I don't have a problem cleaning my lenses. I usually use a microfiber cloth dry. Sometimes I add water, sometimes I use the little spray bottle of solution Sports Optical sent with the glasses.

Ken Robb
09-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I clean my anti-reflective lenses with rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle and kleenex.

fogrider
09-30-2013, 09:46 PM
To me, glasses are a consumable item that you have to replace every few years. The lenses cost more than the frames and have to be replaced so that you can still see. I wear progressive bifocals for every day and single prescription for sunglasses when bike riding for better peripheral vision. For me, glasses are expensive but it is worth it to have different glasses for everyday and for riding. Good luck.

Yeah, good vision is pretty important on the bike! I like clear lenses on my indoors glasses and find that for cycling, I need wrap around lenses or else my eyes water at speed. so I'm stuck with 2 pairs.

Ralph
10-01-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm far sighted, and only need some help with reading. Got tired of all the expensive sport glasses. So I just get what I need for good reading, and get wrap around sunglasses from Dollar Tree ($1) for riding. I spend on good glasses for non sport use. The cheap sunglasses last a year or so, my rear view mirror fits on them, then throw away. Surprisingly, the cheap sun glasses work (for me) as well as the expensive sports glasses for riding. Mostly looking for UV, wind, dirt, dust protection. Not fashion.

2LeftCleats
10-01-2013, 06:02 AM
LASIK might be cheaper in the long run.

Or contacts.

Can do a monovision thing with either