PDA

View Full Version : Campy thumb shifting

Veloo
09-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Just installed my first Campy group - Athena.
Thumb shifting will take a bit of time to get used to. I'm finding it a bit hard to get my thumb "back" to shift when on the hoods.

Wondering if the supplied shims will help. I didn't really pay much attention to them during the install.

laupsi
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
keep at it, number one reason I cannot go back to Shimano.

FlashUNC
09-30-2013, 10:13 AM
I've got bigger hands, and found the shims did nothing really.

Just chucked 'em in the garbage.

Ahneida Ride
09-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Thumb shifting seems natural to me ....

jmpsmash
09-30-2013, 12:18 PM
All users of Shimano, SRAM and Campy will find the other shifting mechanism strange when they first switch. If you keep at it for a few rides you will get used to it.

Once you got used to it, you will find the other brand that you used to use strange.

Mark McM
09-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Thumb shifting seems natural to me ....

... and to me, too. Maybe because it seems intuitively obvious, after the shifting system that came before.

With down tube (or stem mounted) shifters, I'd push the lever with my thumb to shift up, and push it with my finger to shift down - the only difference was that the lever rotated fore and aft instead of right and left.

The other intuitive feature of Ergo shifters is that the derailleur moves in the same direction as you push the levers. Pushing the rear shifter's downshift lever (which moves to the left) moves the rear derailleur to the left, and pushing the thumb button (which rotates down and to the right) moves the rear derailleur to the right. Likewise with the front shifter moving the same direction as the front derailleur.

Ahneida Ride
09-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Consider also Retroshift .... works great !

sg8357
09-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Getting used to Ergo shifters took me about a month, coming from bar-cons.
Getting used to not being able to tell gear position by feel took longer,
I'd look back to see what gear I was in.

KidWok
09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
I switch back and forth between Shimano and Campy bikes...it takes a moment when hopping on one after riding the other but you'll figure it out. The worst for me isn't the thumb shifter...it's swiping the paddle behind brake lever on Campy and expecting to up-shift.

Tai

Veloo
09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
I find myself trying to push the brake lever laterally and also getting surprised when the shift lever is able to move backward on its own.

In time...

130R
09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Part of what I love about campy levers is the double dump. I'll already be on the correct gears and can hear the clicking of SRAM and Shimano levers behind me :hello:

Mark McM
09-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Part of what I love about campy levers is the double dump. I'll already be on the correct gears and can hear the clicking of SRAM and Shimano levers behind me :hello:

Yes, that's the other thing that directly carried over from the down tube shifters I had been using - the ability to shift multiple gears at once. With the Ergo Power levers I can downshift up to 3 gears, or upshift up to 5 gears, with one single press of a lever/button.

Veloo
09-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I've got Athena Powershift so unfortunately I can only do 4 down and 1 up.

jmpsmash
09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
I switch back and forth between Shimano and Campy bikes...it takes a moment when hopping on one after riding the other but you'll figure it out. The worst for me isn't the thumb shifter...it's swiping the paddle behind brake lever on Campy and expecting to up-shift.

Tai

at one point my commuter was Shimano and my main bike is Campy.

Surprisingly i never have problem with switching between the two. Once i sit down and get going, the brain must have automatically adjusted based on the setup/environment.

fade
09-30-2013, 07:14 PM
My Chorus 11s right lever's thumb shifter sometimes slips unless I nudge it forward a little bit. What could be the cause for this?

fogrider
09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Getting used to Ergo shifters took me about a month, coming from bar-cons.
Getting used to not being able to tell gear position by feel took longer,
I'd look back to see what gear I was in.

bar cons...now that was un-natural for me...I never hold the bars on the end and it's so far from the brakes.

I pretty much knew what gear I was in by my leg spin...to easy, shift down, too easy shift up...I would sometimes need to check to see what chainring I was in.

yeah, if you really wanted to know what cog, look back.

RedRider
09-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Campy...how else will your thumbs get any exercise?

Elefantino
09-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Campy...how else will your thumbs get any exercise?
Hitching a ride after your Shimano breaks down. Duh.