PDA

View Full Version : sad day--RIP Marcella Hazan

flydhest
09-29-2013, 10:18 PM
89 years old. Like the nonna I never had.

http://nyti.ms/18DdtlQ

Louis
09-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Interesting. And there is a connection to cycling - I don't remember exactly where I read it, but at least one very famous cyclist (can't remember the details) came from that part of Italy. The names ring a bell.

Mrs. Hazan became enamored of the food in Milan and Rome, which was much different from the regional cooking she had grown up with in the village of Cesenatico in Emilia-Romagna, about 120 miles south of Venice.

54ny77
09-29-2013, 11:08 PM
indeed, r.i.p.

i have a well worn, dog-eared copy of her classic italian cookbook.

heard the news on radio today and was saddened.

Tim Porter
09-30-2013, 06:05 AM
She was like a member of our family who never spent time at home. We have multiple cookbooks and bought duplicates of them to save for our kids. Pork loin braised in milk, lamb chops with a parmesan crust--I could go on. My wife and I have been married 33 years and we've used her cookbooks almost every day.

R.I.P.

Matt-H
09-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Interesting. And there is a connection to cycling - I don't remember exactly where I read it, but at least one very famous cyclist (can't remember the details) came from that part of Italy. The names ring a bell.

Pantani.

alessandro
09-30-2013, 09:44 AM
+1.

Marcella's bolognese (http://leitesculinaria.com/84057/recipes-marcella-hazan-bolognese-sauce.html) sauce is a staple in my house.

Then there's the risotto.

chwupper
09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Marcella Hazan and Julia Child were my mom's guiding lights as she learned about cooking continental cuisine. I still remember, when I was a young kid, the first time she made Marcella's recipe for meatballs and savoy cabbage. I know, just meatballs and cabbage -- simple and humble. But still one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten...

rwsaunders
09-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the link...you learn something every day.

Louis
09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Pantani.

Makes sense. I read a biography about him a few years ago, which is probably why the locations sounded familiar.

daker13
09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
The first cookbook I ever loved... her simple style is, and always will be, great. a good long life for someone who apparently didn't have many healthy habits.