09-29-2013, 08:22 AM
what to wear on a day like this?

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 08:30 AM
what to wear on a day like this?

Arm warmers and courage.

jpw
09-29-2013, 08:48 AM
and do we think teams saw the conditions this morning and went for mechanical over electronic?

David Kirk
09-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Cycling News have text updates but I can't find a live stream - anyone know a place to get a live stream?

dave

MattTuck
09-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Cycling News have text updates but I can't find a live stream - anyone know a place to get a live stream?

dave

http://www.castalba.tv/channel/14463

David Kirk
09-29-2013, 09:19 AM

you the man.

Dave

alessandro
09-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Visconti all' attacco! Avanti Azzurri!

LegendRider
09-29-2013, 09:21 AM
The entire British team has pulled out. Sky rider - Tiernan-Locke - being investigated for suspicious bio passport. Doping speculation in overdrive!

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 09:24 AM
The entire British team has pulled out. Sky rider - Tiernan-Locke - being investigated for suspicious bio passport. Doping speculation in overdrive!

yes - Brailsford will be fuming (if guilty)

GB team were poor today - all of them pulling out:no:
It's raining for everyone!!!

LegendRider
09-29-2013, 09:25 AM
You would think that rain wouldn't be an issue for the Brits!

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 09:28 AM
You would think that rain wouldn't be an issue for the Brits!

very true - funny thing is it's unseasonably sunny and warm today in the UK:banana:

pinoymamba
09-29-2013, 09:39 AM
The entire British team has pulled out.

http://replygif.net/i/980.gif

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Cancellara for the win... (if they can catch the polish / italian duo)

thwart
09-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Nibali continues to impress me with his pluck (although maybe this british word is inappropriate to use here... :rolleyes:).

BdaGhisallo
09-29-2013, 09:44 AM

dave

Look for 'ucichannel' on youtube. It's streaming it live. And in English with Adam Blythe helping out with the commentary, offering great insight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9_YbtPUgXY

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 09:46 AM
the bubble has burst - take away the knighthood and give Froome his Kenyan passport back...

pinoymamba
09-29-2013, 09:52 AM
if you're in the states and UCI channel is blocked.

http://www.sportlemon.tv/20130921/vv523df2d4d3aa79.63642951-646822.html

i hope your italian is good.

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 09:56 AM
If in the states...

Download: Google Chome Hola!
Go to YouTube
In top right corner of your browser, set Germany as your country
In YouTube: Search for UCI Channel 2013

Watch the final lap in high definition...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9_YbtPUgXY

jpw
09-29-2013, 09:58 AM

settle down and enjoy the race :rolleyes:

fa63
09-29-2013, 09:58 AM
English broadcast here as well:

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 10:03 AM
an attack on this climb? 15km to go

chengher87
09-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Why no Carlton Kirby, Brian Smith, Sean Kelly? Is Eurosport covering it? These commentators are a bit drab.

harryblack
09-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I've been watching on BBC, check out Tunlr.net if you need to 'sneak in' from the states.

Props to Peter Stetina and Alex Howes for hanging in so far, the rest of the American bums, 'improbably' youthful Horner included, should be ashamed. ··· did they even show up for?

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Cancellara looming like a shark and Sagan looks sharp.

chengher87
09-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Is this the final selection?

Come on Purito!

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 10:13 AM
would be good if the italians won on home turf

harryblack
09-29-2013, 10:14 AM
whoa!! heard that one...

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 10:15 AM
what a crash! over the bars:eek:

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Bummed. Felt like Roche had the form and hunger to be right there...

Rodriquez giving it all.

chengher87
09-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Those Moto bikes are awfully close..............

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Very exciting finish!

Beat that Cancellara and Sagan are nowhere...

chengher87
09-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Come on purito!!!

Heartbreak again....poor Purito.

rileystylee
09-29-2013, 10:24 AM
c'mon costa!

harryblack
09-29-2013, 10:27 AM
i wanna know what Rodriguez said to Costa when he was caught?! great race...

thwart
09-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Nibali continues to impress me with his pluck (although maybe this british word is inappropriate to use here... :rolleyes:).
Sometimes the bravest rider doesn't win...

jlwdm
Glad to see Spain lose since Valverde did nothing at the end. He could have at least tried to follow Costa.

Jeff

#campyuserftw
i wanna know what Rodriguez said to Costa when he caught?! great race...

Looking back, bad move by Rodriquez...Costa was totally gassed in reaching him and Rodriguez sits up and chats with him?

Veloo
09-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Shook Me All Night Long?

pinoymamba
09-29-2013, 10:32 AM
força rui!

:hello:

jpw
that was an odd final lap.

retrofit
Looking back, bad move by Rodriquez...Costa was totally gassed in reaching him and Rodriguez sits up and chats with him?

Yep. What could be said at that stage of the race? I'll let you have the silver if you let me have the gold?

thwart

Not a World Champion kind of move.

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Not a World Champion kind of move.

Word. It made no sense to me, and why Valverde let Costa go with 2K to go? Rodriquez, if you're going to pull a move like that, you have to win. Valverde, weird finish...I thought he'd stand up and pound out for a win, instead he grabbed his water bottle (and left his mate alone with Costa).

firerescuefin
09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Cancellara looming like a shark and Sagan looks sharp.

CFOX called it:cool:...classics guys lacked the juice for the finish. Costa is Legit...and had a very good year. Respect.

jpw
09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
it was clearly too hot and dry for the northern Europeans this year.

enr1co
09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
força rui!

:hello:

Congrats to Costa, great win for Portugal- Way to top off a great season!

CPP
09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Word. It made no sense to me, and why Valverde let Costa go with 2K to go? Rodriquez, if you're going to pull a move like that, you have to win.

Good question about Valverde letting Costa go???

Maybe he was pissed at Rodrigez for attacking the last time before he could Counter?

Or maybe because he didn't have the legs, but he and Costa forced Nibali do all the work to re catch Purito??

Or maybe because he and Costa are on the same trade Team (but Costa is changing Teams next year I think)?

Or maybe he screwed up

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
CFOX called it:cool:...classics guys lacked the juice for the finish. Costa is Legit...and had a very good year. Respect.

+1 and a nice ceremony at the podium indeed.

Chapeau to Costa. He wanted it the most, had the heart, legs and the courage to make his own move succeed.

harryblack
09-29-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm on record as Not A Thomas Voeckler Fan however...

... the fact the he finished today-- DFL, in fact-- is impressive; seriously, much respect for the effort and in light of that, maybe I can tolerate his theatrics a little easier elsewhere. Bravo!

Which is more than I can say for Taylor 'Phraud' Phinney, Chris 'Young Blood' Horner etc... Simply embarrassing.

And, poor as USA's showing was other than Stetina and Howe, what can we say about Great Britain, except that they should be BANNED from the 2014 WC just on general principle. Talk about a lack of 'preparation'...

rain dogs
09-29-2013, 01:14 PM
“Purito did everything perfectly, and I honestly believed he was riding to the win. I should have followed Rui but I simply couldn’t. For sure I would prefer that this medal was gold, but if I didn’t win it’s only because I couldn’t, When Rui attacked he was very strong. I simply could do no more.” - Valverde

“What can we do? Alejandro should have jumped, but I don’t know what happened. We’ve missed an opportunity. I could not do anymore. Alejandro told me I could attack, and we were in a good position, but when Rui caught me I knew it was over. For me this medal doesn’t count for much. I wanted to win. I guess it’s the same for Alejandro." - J-Rod

After 7hrs 25' 44" I think any of the 61 riders who finished should be congratulated.

146 riders DNF'd..... 71% attrition!

CPP
09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Nibali was very courageous! He was screwed if he did and screwed if he didn't but kept digging, even after his crash.

Speaking of crashes..... Uran, OUCH!

dbrown
09-29-2013, 01:59 PM
The weather in Florence was atrocious today. It started with a huge downpour and filling thunder about 6 AM, then let up until about 5 minutes before the leaders got to the Duomo. Then steady to hard rain, with a few 5-20 second oeriods of continuous thunder. Finally stopped with 3 laps to go. We were seated 150 meters from the finishline, under cover. Great race!

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm on record as Not A Thomas Voeckler Fan however...

... the fact the he finished today-- DFL, in fact-- is impressive; seriously, much respect for the effort and in light of that, maybe I can tolerate his theatrics a little easier elsewhere. Bravo!

Which is more than I can say for Taylor 'Phraud' Phinney, Chris 'Young Blood' Horner etc... Simply embarrassing.

And, poor as USA's showing was other than Stetina and Howe, what can we say about Great Britain, except that they should be BANNED from the 2014 WC just on general principle. Talk about a lack of 'preparation'...

I didn't see what happened to Phinney, but here is his tweet, "I was out of the race on lap 1 waiting for Tejay after his crash. Chased but it took too long 4 him to get back into it. Just the way it is!..For those of you asking/giving me a hard time ;) Tour of Beijing next for me."

Disappointed at what took place with the American squad in lap 1. While Phinney was 2:08 behind Martin, taking fifth place in the world's TT is not bad at all:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/news/phinney-not-overjoyed-with-fifth-place-at-tt-worlds_304054

regularguy412
09-29-2013, 04:41 PM
Nibali was very courageous! He was screwed if he did and screwed if he didn't but kept digging, even after his crash.

Speaking of crashes..... Uran, OUCH!

Uran could have easily been 'the guy', barring the face-plant into the side of the mountain. I was actually concerned that he'd leave his bike in the middle of the lane and those in the bunch would get caught up in it -- having no where to go -- as it was a fast turn in the wet.

Nibali certainly could have been a factor, too, but it seemed it took a long time for him to chase back. Even when he got back into the cars it took a while from there. I guess no other Italians were gonna come back to help.

Costa earned it -- good on him!

Mike in AR:beer:

#campyuserftw
09-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Costa earned it -- good on him!

+1

With frustration of the American team, the angst from those who might've been cheering for the Brits, some hoping Cancellara, Sagan, Roche or Martin would factor-in, or they who were left scratching their heads about Valverde's non-move-move, this is certain: Rodriquez was brilliant right up to 500 yards out and Costa as you said, earned his stripes.

MattTuck
09-29-2013, 06:49 PM
For Fabian, I think this was a big disappointment. I have a suspicion, with him getting older, that he was looking to round out his Palmares for his legacy.

Coming in light to World's (my feeling) would have played into him riding Giro di Lombardia, a Monument that really doesn't suit him. To me, what this shows is just how impressive the riders were who won all 5 Monuments. Maybe pro cycling is so specialized now that it will never be done again, but I think Cancellara really wants the 5 Monuments... whether or not it is very likely.

cfox
09-29-2013, 07:34 PM
For Fabian, I think this was a big disappointment. I have a suspicion, with him getting older, that he was looking to round out his Palmares for his legacy.

Coming in light to World's (my feeling) would have played into him riding Giro di Lombardia, a Monument that really doesn't suit him. To me, what this shows is just how impressive the riders were who won all 5 Monuments. Maybe pro cycling is so specialized now that it will never be done again, but I think Cancellara really wants the 5 Monuments... whether or not it is very likely.

I think as far as the 5 monuments go, that ship has sailed for everyone. The Ardennes classics are much, much harder than they used to be. Roger De Vlaminck was a notoriously poor climber, but even he won LBL back in the day. Riders can change, but to go from a Roubaix winner to an Ardennes winner you'd need to lose 15 lbs, which is a lot for an already ripped adult male to do. Who knows, I'd love to see Sagan try to do it.

jlwdm
09-29-2013, 08:23 PM
For Fabian, I think this was a big disappointment.

I don't think it was. It was not a course for Cancellara or Sagan and thus they were not considered favorites.

The worst prediction was the British Team dominance.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1781996-cycling-world-championships-2013-british-team-will-dominate-in-florence

Jeff

mike p
09-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Actually Sagan was the odds on favorite followed closely by Cancellara.

Mike

I don't think it was. It was not a course for Cancellara or Sagan and thus they were not considered favorites.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1781996-cycling-world-championships-2013-british-team-will-dominate-in-florence

Jeff

weisan
09-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Jeff

Sagan and Cancellera were in the top 10. They were gunning for a win.
Stupid rain, that's all I have to say.

choke
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1781996-cycling-world-championships-2013-british-team-will-dominate-in-florenceYou learn something new everyday....."Froome will be watching reigning champion Phillippe Gilbert very closely, but the French rider has had a terrible season so far...." - from that article.

FlashUNC
09-29-2013, 09:15 PM

Spartacus hasn't made much of a secret of his desire for the Monuments, the Worlds, even the Hour Record.

Guy is clearly gunning for a place in history.

thegunner
09-29-2013, 09:16 PM

have to wonder what the race would've looked like dry, eh?

regularguy412
09-29-2013, 09:26 PM
have to wonder what the race would've looked like dry, eh?

In the dry, Froomie woulda been able to descend. Mebbe.

Mike in AR:beer:

jpw
09-30-2013, 02:59 AM
The British team was a major disappointment. Wiggins should shuffle off to retirement (his head fell off in France last year). Froome isn't British. Cavendish looks like a fat boy. Stannard should stick to classics, and the rest of them show just how little real depth there is.

As for the design of the jersey, it's a dog's dinner. I wouldn't feel inspired pulling that on. Scotland votes for independence next September. Hopefully the design will then have to change.

Well done to Costa, although i feel for Nibali. He was caught in a Spain/ Movistar pact.

Llewellyn
09-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Well done to Costa, although i feel for Nibali. He was caught in a Spain/ Movistar pact.

I agree about Costa, but I don't feel sorry for Nibali. Not after he cheated getting drafted by Bettini in the team car. Should have been disqualified but that was never going to happen at the Worlds in Italy. I'm glad he missed out on a podium - wouldn't have been right for him to have been standing on one of the steps

jpw
09-30-2013, 03:56 AM
I agree about Costa, but I don't feel sorry for Nibali. Not after he cheated getting drafted by Bettini in the team car. Should have been disqualified but that was never going to happen at the Worlds in Italy. I'm glad he missed out on a podium - wouldn't have been right for him to have been standing on one of the steps

true, but when has any rider been kicked out for that?

the mechanic did his bit too.

Nibali was my tip and so i have to 'feel' for him :-)

oldpotatoe
09-30-2013, 07:49 AM

They all had to ride in it..I say good for Costa, great race. I guess EPS really is waterproof.

'Worlds' is a funny race..team loyalties, country loyalties mixed in with present teams and next year's destination teams.

If you don't make early selection in the race, really no reason to continue as a circuit race.

Some use it as a training day after they are off the back, but with so much rain..gonna DNF.

Last race of the year for most...now into a couple of months(1?) off before getting back at it I guess fallout from moving so late in the year.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Just in from single speed dirt worlds?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-2013/elite-men-road-race/photos/281168

kramnnim
09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Short video of the race "from a different angle" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOl2OPjewOE

Bravo to the finishers...

firerescuefin
09-30-2013, 09:13 AM
They all had to ride in it..I say good for Costa, great race. I guess EPS really is waterproof.

'Worlds' is a funny race..team loyalties, country loyalties mixed in with present teams and next year's destination teams.

If you don't make early selection in the race, really no reason to continue as a circuit race.

Some use it as a training day after they are off the back, but with so much rain..gonna DNF.

Couple thoughts....Costa is certainly a worthy World Champion...he wasn't some glue horse that happenes to be a competent "mudder"...would things have been different in better conditions....possibly, but the course was what it was. Big Ups to him!

For those that are criticizing those that pulled out. only 60 something from over 200 starters finished. You are there to win or support your teammate to win...Once either one of those boxes are checked off or impossible to check off, your day is over.

jpw
09-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Short video of the race "from a different angle" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOl2OPjewOE

Bravo to the finishers...

Hell of the South.

jpw
09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I guess EPS really is waterproof.

did you have your doubts?

MattTuck
09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
... You are there to win or support your teammate to win...Once either one of those boxes are checked off or impossible to check off, your day is over.

You mean they don't all get a finisher's medal? :( I thought they were all unique wonderful snowflakes and we needed to boost their self-esteem... :rolleyes:

harryblack
09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
For those that are criticizing those that pulled out. only 60 something from over 200 starters finished. You are there to win or support your teammate to win...Once either one of those boxes are checked off or impossible to check off, your day is over.

Come on, that's nonsense! if you can hang until the last circuit ** anyone ** can win... Now, you may or may not know your limitations, especially on the climbs, but those BUMS didn't even ** TRY **.

Or are you saying Stetina and Howes were the only American riders who didn't crash out or get dropped like an A-bomb and that they had no choice but to go it alone?

The Brits are beneath contempt, en masse, tho' I too hope an independent Scotland will perform with greater 'panache' and character.

Finally, why did Voeckler bother finishing, and DFL at that?

FlashUNC
09-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Finally, why did Voeckler bother finishing, and DFL at that?

Because he's a drama queen who knew a DFL would continue to burnish the "legend" of Hollywood Voeckler?

Taylor Phinney's tweet was illustrative of the Americans' day. Tejay crashed, Phinney waited with him to help him back to the group, they couldn't catch back on. Why bother trying to chase if you can't make the catch? Better to pack it in.

firerescuefin
09-30-2013, 12:03 PM
61 folks finished...everyone else DNFd....If you don't stand a chance of winning or helping a teammate....and you crash (on a dangerous course) or get sick. You're a fool......or a "hero/real rider" according to you. I'll go with the word of the World Class riders as well as the National directors.

Come on, that's nonsense! if you can hang until the last circuit ** anyone ** can win...

harryblack
09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
61 folks finished...everyone else DNFd....If you don't stand a chance of winning or helping a teammate....and you crash (on a dangerous course) or get sick. You're a fool......or a "hero/real rider" according to you. I'll go with the word of the World Class riders as well as the National directors.

SURE there are times to cut your losses but when erstwhile 'world class' riders dump a race en masse, that's B.S.

Your "analysis" (and I use the term very loosely)-- only 61 finishers-- is totally specious btw

Q: what % of the starters had any legitimate chance at finishing?

Or are you really placing the gutless American team-- sans Stetina and Howes-- and the ridiculous Brits on the same level as...

* Slovenia (3 DNF)
* Slovakia (7 DNF)
* Venezuela (6 DNF)
* Eritrea (3 DNF)

etc etc on down the list (Brazil, Costa Rica, Hong Kong)

Yet... France had seven finishers... how about that?!?

I'm not waiting for Taylor Phinney to 'tweet' anything, ever, nor to win a classic.

jlwdm
09-30-2013, 02:13 PM
If the world championships are a boring sprinters course you will see lots of finishers. My recollection is that on a tougher course in bad weather not many riders finish.

If a rider crashes or waits for another rider with a problem and can't catch up with the peloton and is not a rider that can win on this course why have the rider take risks on a wet course.

I tried to pull up prior results but just came up with 1996 in Switzerland - 176 started and 49 finished.

Some riders from smaller countries will keep riding because finishing in the World Championships might be the highlight of their career.

Jeff

firerescuefin
09-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Yet... France had seven finishers... how about that?!?

Great Point....if the WC had a classification for most finishers....they'd be right there :cool:

#campyuserftw
09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Great Point....if the WC had a classification for most finishers....they'd be right there :cool:

France had seven finishers? Voeckler's tongue is so tough, he counts for two. France had eight.

:beer:

jlwdm
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Actually Sagan was the odds on favorite followed closely by Cancellara.

Mike

Odds on favorites by whom? And don't tell me betting odds.

Jeff

firerescuefin
09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Odds on favorites by whom? And don't tell me betting odds.

Jeff

By about everyone that had an opinion.

jlwdm
09-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Sure they were top 10 - so what, they were not exactly threats. Did not have the jump on the climbs in the last lap.

Jeff

jlwdm
09-30-2013, 10:26 PM
By about everyone that had an opinion.

I guess you missed all the Gilbert, Valverde and Nibali predictions.

Jeff

firerescuefin
09-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I guess you missed all the Gilbert, Valverde and Nibali predictions.

Jeff

I guess I missed your prediction before the race. I'm glad you're rescuing from our ignorance now. Better late than never.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2013, 08:15 AM
did you have your doubts?

nope, not me.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Couple thoughts....Costa is certainly a worthy World Champion...he wasn't some glue horse that happenes to be a competent "mudder"...would things have been different in better conditions....possibly, but the course was what it was. Big Ups to him!

I agree. Some put this race in the same category as any other one day race in the pro circuit. It really isn't.

Anybody on the same lap during the final circuit does NOT have an equal change to win. If your 'group' is 2-3 minutes back, you are NOT going to bridge up to the leaders.

The no name, small name riders ride to finish cuz it's also new contract time. The big boys already have a contract and the team owners/mangers don't care if a big name comes in in 30th place...

jlwdm
10-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I guess I missed your prediction before the race. I'm glad you're rescuing from our ignorance now. Better late than never.

What is your problem? I did not say I made a prediction. I said I saw lots of predictions for other riders. Sagan is a great young rider, but why do some people pick him for any type of race?

You brought up the ignorance.

Jeff

firerescuefin
10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
What is your problem? I did not say I made a prediction. I said I saw lots of predictions for other riders. Sagan is a great young rider, but why do some people pick him for any type of race?

You brought up the ignorance.

Jeff

Yeah...a hilly classics like course would never suit him:rolleyes:

climbgdh
10-01-2013, 08:43 PM
some of you guys need to argue less and get out and ride your bike more.

Elefantino
10-01-2013, 09:20 PM
some of you guys need to argue less and get out and ride your bike more.
No effing kidding. :D

CPP
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Good article
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/10/analysis/valverde-blame-game-misses-the-real-story-of-road-worlds_304787