PDA

View Full Version : Random DA9000 install thoughts from long time Campy user

Ryun
09-29-2013, 07:01 AM
decided to dip my toe in the Dura Ace world on my latest bike. I have been using Campagnolo components pretty much exclusively since the early 90s with a slight dabble in shimano when Di2 came out. I had too many wheels to have 10 sp and 11sp at the same time. With everything 11sp now and rumored cross compatibility of wheelsets, I was looking to try Shimano again.

Here are just some random impressions from the install:
- I really like the finish. Somehow after all the carbon bits on campy it is nice to have a group that is mostly metal. I will have to see how it holds up against oxidization in Florida but for now it looks great.
-The levers are a bit bulkier than I expected but are comfortable enough once you are riding. The transition from the bar is smoother with campy but it still works. Derailleur cable routing through the lever isnt intuitive and took me a while to even find the right spot to insert it. Once you peel back the hoods (which are very firm) you can figure it out.
-It is nice to have a group that doesnt use torx fittings to install although most evrything is a 5mm, a couple of 4mm are thrown in for good just to mess with you.
-The brakes have a lot going on visually and arent particularly light but setup easily and seem to have a ton of power. The barrel adjusters are a bit funky to me and have the quick release on the brake is something to get use to.
-The new front mech also takes a bit of getting used to. the reinforcement bolt and plate on the frame are funky and the cable routing on both derailleurs seem to be at odd angles. But while setup takes a little longer, it is all pretty straight forward. Performance is phenomal. Best mechanical fd I have ever used and faster than my eps setup. I normally run a 53/42 so I was concerned switching to 53/39 but it shifts so quickly and easily I was shocked.
-I'm not sure I am a fan of the plastic end caps on the cables but there are at least extra included and they wont rust. Campy seems to short you on ferrules these days. The gray cables are different but look okay. have to remember to use ferrules on both ends of the housing unlike ergos.
-The cables are coated with something that makes em look rusty and it frays the first time you clamp it down. Action feels smooth with them but we will see how long it lasts.
-The rear derailleur setup is straight forward although the cable takes an odd angle to the bolt. Seems very light for an all metal mech.
-The cranks are funky to look at but they are growing on me. I like the polish look. The new bottom bracket seems tiny. a little bit of a thowback to when bearings fit in the bb shell. They include a plastic adapter to help your current tool fit which also helps keep you from scratching it. I still am not a huge fan of the way you tighten the non-drive side crank are on. I prefer the direct connection of the ultra torque cranks. Also looks cleaner without the bolts showing. Those 5mm bolts seem prone to strip if the wrench slips.
Even with that the cranks dont creak or moan under load so its all good.
It does not spin nearly as free as the CULT bb on super record but we will see how it breaks in.
-The chain is no longer directional and seems fairly straightforward. The pin install is a little too easy and makes me nervous. despite campy requiring a fancy tool, the pin install has a more positive install and is more reassuring. First couple out of saddle experiences where a little nervous but seems to be in there.
-I havent built up the hubs yet so all the riding has been on a campy record 11 cassette. Shifting feel is pretty good although the new motion takes a little getting used to. Downshifting from the drops is easier than the campy thumb lever even for a very experienced campy user. Just no way round it, in a sprint it is easier to get to.
Shifting on the campy cassette is pretty good. Chain runs quietly along the cogs and upshifts are solid. Once I get the proper cassette on there I will know more but I have done several rides with campy wheels on there with no issues and acceptable if not superb shifting.

Just thought Id share...

gone
09-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Great summary. I've got Campy and Shimano on my bikes, mostly Campy these days, and have a new one inbound next year. Mulling over which group to install (Sram isn't even a contender) and frankly it's been hard to decide. Throw in the additional wildcard of EPS or Di2 and it gets even harder.

A first world problem to be sure but a conundrum nevertheless.

LegendRider
09-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks, very helpful.

I've only heard two complaints about 9000 thus far:

- The cassette can creak - possibly because of carbon spider
- Tight bends cause quick wear of cables

Otherwise, the group sounds spectacular.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks, very helpful.

I've only heard two complaints about 9000 thus far:

- The cassette can creak - possibly because of carbon spider
- Tight bends cause quick wear of cables

Otherwise, the group sounds spectacular.

We built a 6800 bike and does work well, but killed a fd cable, didn't have the super slick one, put in a standard stainless slick one and it worked poorly. Found one, difference was dramatic. Did buy 5(all they had) from shimano, $15 per wholesale, yowser.

11s no onto even last gen shimano hubs or wheels kinda disappointing also, with no conversion possible.

Gotta find out if 6800 chainrings fit onto 9000 cranks..look similar, bet they don;t tho. Back of 6800 big chainring looks like they are glued together..

2wheelwill
09-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I have about 1000 miles on my new DA 9000 bike and got to say i'm impressed so far. Likes: front der is best ever, brakes are powerful, levers feel pretty good with easy reach adjustment. Dislikes: brake calipers are downright ugly as they seem to stick out too far, and the ergonomics of the hoods are fine but not as good as modern Campy.

I now own bikes with several versions of Campy, Shimano and Sram...and i ride them all. I'd say the new dura ace 9000 is the best overall group. Second best is my old Dura Ace 7800 and third is my older Campy Record 10....closely followed by Chorus 11. And in a distant last place......Sram. Tried to like it but just can't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

AgilisMerlin
09-29-2013, 06:00 PM
We built a 6800 bike and does work well, but killed a fd cable, didn't have the super slick one, put in a standard stainless slick one and it worked poorly. Found one, difference was dramatic. Did buy 5(all they had) from shimano, $15 per wholesale, yowser.

11s no onto even last gen shimano hubs or wheels kinda disappointing also, with no conversion possible.

expand on the shimano specific cable, thanks

kevin

dvs cycles
09-29-2013, 06:21 PM
9000 cables are PTFE coated for less friction.
My first rear began to fray at 5000 miles.
By comparison my 7800 usually got over 10,000.
That aside I'm liking the 9000 group.

thirdgenbird
09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
I have about 1000 miles on my new DA 9000 bike and got to say i'm impressed so far. Likes: front der is best ever, brakes are powerful, levers feel pretty good with easy reach adjustment. Dislikes: brake calipers are downright ugly as they seem to stick out too far, and the ergonomics of the hoods are fine but not as good as modern Campy.

I now own bikes with several versions of Campy, Shimano and Sram...and i ride them all. I'd say the new dura ace 9000 is the best overall group. Second best is my old Dura Ace 7800 and third is my older Campy Record 10....closely followed by Chorus 11. And in a distant last place......Sram. Tried to like it but just can't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

I've only seen one 9000 group in the flesh. Both the brakes and cranks looked better than I thought they would. The crankset is a huge improvement over 7900 in my opinion.

Interesting comments about Campagnolo. I've been tempted to go from record 10 to chorus 11.

PaMtbRider
09-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Interesting comments about Campagnolo. I've been tempted to go from record 10 to chorus 11.

Everyone has their own preference. I had record 10 speed and much prefer everything about my record and chorus 11 speed groups.

4Rings6Stars
09-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Everyone has their own preference. I had record 10 speed and much prefer everything about my record and chorus 11 speed groups.

+1. Record 10 is amazing, don't get me wrong...but I love my Chorus 11 even more.

FlashUNC
09-29-2013, 07:52 PM
+1. Record 10 is amazing, don't get me wrong...but I love my Chorus 11 even more.

Agreed.

And I think EPS is even better.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2013, 07:56 AM
expand on the shimano specific cable, thanks

kevin

If ya use standard stainless slick with 9000 or 6800 ders, they are not nearly as 'smooth' as using the big $ lined, coated der cables from shimano.
Because of the angled, kinda weird FD cable thru fixing bolt snake, broke about 3 strands..wasn't the coating but the routing. Rear der routing right outta the der is a little severe also.

Thought Campag cables were expensive.

bcroslin
09-30-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm about to make the jump to DA 9000 and I have a set of DA 7850 C24 wheels and it's killing me that there's no way to convert them to 11 speed. Why can't you just swap the cassette body? I've found replacement cassette bodies for DA 9000 hubs. Are they just not compatible?

oldpotatoe
09-30-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm about to make the jump to DA 9000 and I have a set of DA 7850 C24 wheels and it's killing me that there's no way to convert them to 11 speed. Why can't you just swap the cassette body? I've found replacement cassette bodies for DA 9000 hubs. Are they just not compatible?

Different design..since the 9000 series hubs and wheels moved the RH flange inboard to get enough room for the FH body.

Just like 7800, 7810 then 7850...all different. 6700-6800-9000 different as well.

old fat man
10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Lots of Campy wheels in my inventory, but I have a 6800 equipped bike incoming so I'm glad to read all these helpful comments. Anyone else swap between Shimano 11 and Campy 11 wheels? Do you find it necessary to adjust the limit screws and barrel adjuster much when switching?

vqdriver
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Good thoughts.

Re the front der support plate. That enormous lever arm sticking up would seem to require good purchase down low. That's how you get the good shifting.

And I prefer the hollowtechII mount to the ultra torque or gxp mounts. Easier to work with without forcing the tool. Always seemed a more elegant method.

Re the smaller bb, I can't compare to cult ceramics but these are loads better than the non 9000 hollowtech bbs. Seal drag in those is a lot greater.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Lots of Campy wheels in my inventory, but I have a 6800 equipped bike incoming so I'm glad to read all these helpful comments. Anyone else swap between Shimano 11 and Campy 11 wheels? Do you find it necessary to adjust the limit screws and barrel adjuster much when switching?

No more than when switching hub maker with 10s. 11s has less variableness than 10s, since kinda running out of room to put more cogs in...so most 11s compatible hubs/FHs are pretty close as to where the first cog goes.