PDA

View Full Version : SRAM PG1170 cassette on 9/10spd wheelset?

tamjam
09-28-2013, 10:44 PM
I have a new cross/gravel/commuter rig incoming within the next couple months which I am building up with SRAM Force 22 and hydraulic disc brakes. I need to decide on a wheelset (135mm rear, disc compatible) and am trying to figure out if most current wheelsets such as the Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 can handle the PG1170 cassette. From what I can see in pictures online, the PG1170 does not have the new XD freehub design that their XX1 uses and still has the traditional Shimano/SRAM splines. The Mavic website says the SLR is 9/10spd compatible, but Force 22 is so new they probably haven't yet considered the need to address the few of us who will use their MTB wheels with an 11spd road group so haven't updated their technical description.

Question is, is the PG1170 wider than their 10spd road cassettes and won't fit your typical 9/10 freehub body?

oldpotatoe
09-29-2013, 07:01 AM
I have a new cross/gravel/commuter rig incoming within the next couple months which I am building up with SRAM Force 22 and hydraulic disc brakes. I need to decide on a wheelset (135mm rear, disc compatible) and am trying to figure out if most current wheelsets such as the Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 can handle the PG1170 cassette. From what I can see in pictures online, the PG1170 does not have the new XD freehub design that their XX1 uses and still has the traditional Shimano/SRAM splines. The Mavic website says the SLR is 9/10spd compatible, but Force 22 is so new they probably haven't yet considered the need to address the few of us who will use their MTB wheels with an 11spd road group so haven't updated their technical description.

Question is, is the PG1170 wider than their 10spd road cassettes and won't fit your typical 9/10 freehub body?

sram 11s cogset is the exact same dimensions as shimano DA and 6800 11s.

It IS wider and will not fit onto a say, shimano or sram rear hub that is made for 10s. Not sure about mavic MTB wheels..if they have the 2mm Mavic supplied spacer with 10sala road wheels, then yes, they are 11s shimano/sram compatible. If not, they are not.

Charles M
09-30-2013, 11:14 AM
All above is correct but should clarify that several hubs that work with 10 now were designed to hold a bit wider cassette body in the past few years.

Meaning lots of hubs that are currently 10 approved can also hold 11... You would have just used a spacer to make them 10 comp.