PDA

View Full Version : Rigged Campy hub conversion - think it'll work?

FastforaSlowGuy
09-28-2013, 05:52 PM
I have a wheelset of Tune hubs laced to Ambrosio rims, with a Shimano freehub. I also have a Tune rear hub laying around that is Campy. I'd like to be able to use the built up wheels on my CX bike, which is set up for Campy. Yes, I could do a Srampagnolo thing, but that seems WAY to easy.

As background, the official Tune conversion setup is silly expensive and involves shipping your hub to a shop to have them do all sorts of stuff to it. No good.

In my spare time today, I pulled the freehub bodies off both hubs, and swapped them. Axel, etc. all stayed the same, only the freehub body moved. Here's the ONLY difference between the freehub bodies (in terms of fitting on the other hub, disregarding the obvious differences): the outer-most freehub bearing in the Campy body sits about 1.5 mm deeper into the freehub than on the Shimano body. The result is that the end cap does not sit flush against the bearing. Not good, right, because the freehub body can move laterally.

So I threw a few extra spacers between the endcap and the freehub body to eat up the space. The result is I have exactly the same hub with a new freehub body, and between the end cap and the freehub body there are now 3 spacers instead of 1.

I don't actually have a Campy cassette at the moment to test things out, but before I go out and try to ride this monstrosity (or redish the wheel, which may be required), I thought I'd ask here: am I inviting disaster?

JWDR
09-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I would ride it but i was only a bicycle mechanic part time for 4 years while in college. It's a bicycle, you more than likely will not die.

Hank Scorpio
09-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you think the first guy to put bacon in a brownie came on a message board and asked if it would taste good? Or the guy who invented yoga pants?

Heck no! They just did it and it was awesome.

FastforaSlowGuy
09-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Do you think the first guy to put bacon in a brownie came on a message board and asked if it would taste good? Or the guy who invented yoga pants?

Heck no! They just did it and it was awesome.

Um, I can't abide putting yoga pants guy on the same pedestal as bacon-and-chocolate guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

kramnnim
09-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I've done something similar with a Circus Monkey hub. Has been fine for...6k?

r_mutt
09-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Um, I can't abide putting yoga pants guy on the same pedestal as bacon-and-chocolate guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

hmmm...have you seen what yoga pants do to women's asses?

:beer:

fogrider
09-28-2013, 10:53 PM
so no photos?