PDA

View Full Version : the dark side

don compton
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
i can't believe i did this. i was looking for a bike that would be be good for supported rides with my wife. i would be carrying all the extra layers of clothing, extra vests and rain jackets,etc. well, i just happened to stop by rivendell in walnut,ca. i walked in and started talking to the first person i ran into and it just happened to be grant peterson. down to earth guy who listened to my bicycle story, bad back, and whatever. bottom line, i bought a frame, a ramboullet. fits like a glove. tomorrow, i going to ride it around wallace and moke hill in california's gold country. is "IBOB" membership the next step? :beer:
sincerely, don compton

Serpico
01-07-2006, 12:39 AM
sounds nice, congrats

post some pics when you get a chance :)

Frankwurst
01-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Thats o.k. Don.I bought an Atlantis last year on a whim and liked it so much I picked up a used Rambouillet frame to build up as a winter project. If you like your Rambouillet any where near as much as I like my Atlantis You'll think it's some of the best money you ever spent. And yes iBob is next. :beer:

dbrk
01-07-2006, 07:05 AM
I'd call this the Bright Side, not the Dark, Bob...err...Don. Enjoy.

d[i]b[ob]r[apid tourist is good too]k

dirtdigger88
01-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Congrats-

Jason

scrooge
01-07-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm jealous--lucky you!

don compton
01-07-2006, 09:37 AM
in addition to the frameset, i purchased a brooks b-17 saddle. i am not going try it today. i installed it and then replaced it with my old flite transam. i will reinstall the brooks and ride it on a solo ride. it is comfortable, but i am not sure where to set it on the seatpost rails and where to set the tilt. grant peterson let me ride his bike with the same saddle, broken in, and it was really comfortable. its fun to experiment with different styles of bicycles and to appreciate their different designs.
sincerely, don compton

dirtdigger88
01-07-2006, 10:00 AM
put the brooks on- slide it all the way back on the post- then lay a level on the saddle- a long level- set the saddle lever from nose to tail- so that it will have a slight dip in the middle-

start out with no proofride- see how it does with out first

Jason

eddief
01-07-2006, 10:05 AM
you should ride the style of bike that best fits your body and style of riding. Just make sure you send the jerk a photo so you can determine if your stem is too short. Now all you need is a seersucker shirt.

Ken Robb
01-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I need my Brooks to be slightly nose up to prevent a tendency to slide forward putting too much weight on my hands. When the saddles are new and slick I need a bit more up-tilt than I do after a little break-in. It is amazing how small an adjustment is needed to make a BIG difference in comfort. It is fun to have different style bikes for a change of pace. Be sure to try tires in the 700x27-32 size range and 95-70 psi too. You may be very pleasantly surprised at the increase in comfort at very little (if any) sacrifice in speed on many rides.

Orin
01-07-2006, 11:57 AM
i can't believe i did this. i was looking for a bike that would be be good for supported rides with my wife. i would be carrying all the extra layers of clothing, extra vests and rain jackets,etc. well, i just happened to stop by rivendell in walnut,ca. i walked in and started talking to the first person i ran into and it just happened to be grant peterson. down to earth guy who listened to my bicycle story, bad back, and whatever. bottom line, i bought a frame, a ramboullet. fits like a glove. tomorrow, i going to ride it around wallace and moke hill in california's gold country. is "IBOB" membership the next step? :beer:
sincerely, don compton

Congrats. I rode more miles on my Rambouillet last year than my other bikes... mainly because it's set up as a rain/night/rando bike and we get lots of rain and night here in the Pacific Northwet. It's a great all-round bike.

My Legend IS faster and handles better downhill... I prefer it for faster shorter dry(!) rides. For real speed, I ride my Cervelo Dual TT bike which my friends hate... seems I go a few mph faster on it :)

Orin.

Orin
01-07-2006, 12:03 PM
in addition to the frameset, i purchased a brooks b-17 saddle. i am not going try it today. i installed it and then replaced it with my old flite transam. i will reinstall the brooks and ride it on a solo ride. it is comfortable, but i am not sure where to set it on the seatpost rails and where to set the tilt. grant peterson let me ride his bike with the same saddle, broken in, and it was really comfortable. its fun to experiment with different styles of bicycles and to appreciate their different designs.
sincerely, don compton

I have a B17 on my Rambouillet too. Remember that the Rambouillet has a slack seat angle and your old saddle will likely be further forward relative to the seatpost for the same position relative to the pedals. As for the B17, I don't recall where I set mine. A slight nose-up angle does seem to be popular and I need to adjust mine that way. Having said that, it has worked well for a couple of fleches - 24 hour events, probably 17.5 hours on the bike. Some saddles start comfy and get uncomfortable after a few hours (Terry Flys for me). The B17 in its current state isn't as comfortable initially, but doesn't get any better or worse, even after the 300 plus miles we did on the fleche.

Orin.

Frankwurst
01-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Don I ride B17's on all four of my bikes (3 road,1mountain) they are all set up a little different. Experiment and find the adjustment that fits right (you'll find the sweet spot) and I believe you'll enjoy the saddle as much as I think you'll enjoy the bike. :beer:

don compton
01-07-2006, 05:06 PM
finished my first ride. 30 mi., 1900' climbing. the rivendell is one great bike. i only felt the extra weight on the really steep sections and it was no big deal. the downhills were awesome. the bike is extremely stable and i felt very confident bombing down the fast downhills. i appreciate your responding to my doubts regarding the brooks saddle. however, it will be hard for me to change from my flite transam saddle as i was very comfortable today. :beer:
again thanks for your responces, don compton

EPOJoe
01-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Congratulations on the new bike, Don! Sounds like the perfect steed for next years Giro d'Vino :beer:
http://www.deltavelo.com/content/giro05/main.html