PDA

View Full Version : Bar choices.

Tom
03-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Or, am I an addled consumer about to make a mistake?

Lo these many years ago I rode a bike a long way every day for a week and other than getting caught in the web of wanting a really good steel bike (I believe my exact thought was "I have gots to gets me one of these!") I noticed I really liked the way the bars were configured. They had this flat spot in the drops a la certain Cinelli or the Easton. My hands were quite comfy when the pressure spread out and they weren't jammed up on two points.

So, when the bike went in for major work this spring, I asked the shop to order a set of Easton bars. The shop told me I should probably come in and take a look at what arrived before they put them on the bike. Apparently the FB's, Easton that is, went the running shoe route and changed the reach from last year. What fit great in last year's model is too small for my paws now.

From looking around it appears I can do one of two things but not both.

(1) Get the damping of a carbon bar
(2) Get the larger reach

I've done a bit of research but I can't see any that will give me both without spending about 500 bucks. That's a bit too much. Anybody know of any carbon alternatives in the price range of the Easton?

Without being able to do both, I'm thinking that an alloy bar that fits my hand is the way to go.

Kevin
03-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Tom,

Easton makes four different bars under the EC90 name. Maybe your LBS did not order the same EC90 bar as the one you had previously used. The EC90 Equipe Pro has a 75mm reach while the rest of the EC90 line has a 85mm reach. The drops also differ depending on which EC90 bar you choose. The EC90 and EC90 OS have a 158mm drop. The EC90 Equipe has a 145mm drop. The EC90 Equipe Pro has a 130 mm drop.

Before you give up on a bar that you liked, I would make sure that your LBS ordered the correct EC90 bar.

Kevin

Tom
03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
As I understand it: 2004 EC90 turned yellow and got smaller.

In a couple of weeks, they're coming out with a couple of new bars, Ergo (?) and Pro. I'm not sure how they relate to the numbers you listed, but they're in the middle between the old EC90 and the new one. Ergo has flat spot but without the angled part of the bend up top. I guess. I have to see pictures. Eastonbike web site doesn't have them yet. The Pro is not a pro bend. Why they called it that baffled the guy on the phone. He said it's sorta a pro bend but he guessed "SortaPro" wouldn't move many units.

He did say "lighter stronger compatible with aero bars use a two bolt stem" .

Don't ask me, I have no idea what I am talking about. Just garbling what I heard.

Bruce K
03-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Tom;

I'm not sure what reach/drop you want, but I was looking at the Modolo Curvisima bars the other day.

They were not in the $500 range and seemed pretty light. I don't remember if they had the "flat spot" in the drops.

A very good alternative for weight and price is the 3TTT Prima 199 (aluminum) but again, I'm not sure aht geometry you're looking for. I believe they do have the"flat spot"

FSA makes some interesting looking bars as well.

Too many choice Tom, too many choices.....

BK

Kevan
03-08-2004, 12:01 PM
The different Eastons address different stem clamp sizes. The red for 26mm, the yellow for for 31.7mm.

According to Easton's pdf file on specs and installation their aluminium bar has a warranty of 5 years and the cf a limited life warranty.

The website doesn't appear updated to include the different versions of the EC90.

I enjoy this bar.