PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does TSA lose/steal stuff from luggage?

Doug Fattic
09-28-2013, 04:30 AM
I just got back from a trip to Ukraine where I do a bicycle charity project. I went over with a suitcase and a 2nd box full of frame making equipment and some bicycle tubes, I expect this to be throughly looked over by TSA. When I got to Ukraine I was surprised the tie I bought (so I would look half decent going to church) was missing. It was the only thing behind the mesh netting on the inside of the suitcase lid. I thought that was strange. The netting was mostly zipped closed so the tie wouldn't fall out when the suitcase was opened.

It was a new tie not yet taken out of its packaging. I got the word from my daughter that skinny ties are now back in so that is what I bought. I've heard missing items were sometimes an issue when traveling and am wondering if mine is an isolated incident or if this happens fairly often.

witcombusa
09-28-2013, 05:17 AM
How was the trip Doug? Sounds like an interesting project.

TSA doesn't "loose" stuff. They steal it.

They believe they are all powerful and beyond question. It's only gonna get worse too.

dekindy
09-28-2013, 05:53 AM
You went to the Ukraine and suspect the TSA and not the Ukrainians? Have I got this right?

FlashUNC
09-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Yes, TSA has been known to steal stuff. Anything from clothes to electronics.

grawk
09-28-2013, 06:33 AM
Relatively more likely it's TSA than anyone in the Ukraine, yes.

Doug Fattic
09-28-2013, 06:40 AM
I am curious if everyone is suspect in the entire chain of travel. Of course the baggage handlers in Amsterdam or Kiev could have reached in and taken whatever they got their hands on. The Ukrainians are always suspect. I just wondered if TSA agents were as well.

When I went past Ukrainian customs in the green line, they weren't going to let a bike type box through without a stop. However and somewhat strangely, the agent had me come around and look at the X-ray screen and my fixture pieces inside were clearly visible. I had zip tied them to a cardboard insert. I could even read the centimeter markings so they didn't want to bother with me opening the box. They were more curious then suspicious and surprisingly friendly. I showed them a brochure with a picture of one of my framebuilding class students using it. I also told them the one in the box was actually laser cut and etched in Ukraine. Mostly I think I gave them something more interesting than usual to examine. My suitcase had torch handles and tips that they wanted to see but once they got the idea it was about making bicycles they weren't concerned I was trying to sneak something else by them. They actually smiled which I don't remember happening before. Ukrainian agents I thought were trained never to smile.

It is an interesting project that can't be described properly in a paragraph. I should start a separate subject thread on it when I get out of my jet-lag daze.

zmudshark
09-28-2013, 06:42 AM
https://www.google.com/#q=tsa+theft

bargainguy
09-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, I'm of Ukrainian descent and I'm definitely suspect.....

Cheers to you, Doug, for your efforts abroad.

Baggage handlers stealing a tie? Doubtful in my mind. More likely TSA, either deliberately or perhaps something fell out and didn't get noticed until later.

I suppose in the big scheme of things, the tie being stolen, while unfortunate, was probably less valuable overall than the tubes & torch tips, so at least the rest of your stuff came back OK.

norcalbiker
09-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Ighter that skinny ties are now back in so that is what I bought.

Sorry but this made my day. :D

I have a lot of skinny ties and my daughters and my wife been asking to get rid of them.

Oh btw, sorry to hear about your tie.

572cv
09-28-2013, 06:24 PM
This is part of why we fly out of Canada when we travel to France. There is respect for bikes, more transparency, and seemingly more professionalism.

Also the fact that our daughter was ripped off by the TSA traveling to bike races:(

CAAD
09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
When we came back from jersey we had a wrapped gift we packed. Get home open the suit case and found the package ripped open and the wallet missing. So we call to file a complaint/ claim. They then tell us not to put anything of value in your luggage. Fu we paid to have this bag to come with us. Everything in my luggage is valuable to me. We ended up getting a check to cover the cost of the wallet though.

Don49
09-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Somebody keeps stealing those security straps that I put around my suitcase to prevent accidental opening. A strap has yet to survive a trip, so I'm going to give up on them. My belief is that TSA removes the strap to open the bag and can't be bother to replace it.

One time I got paged in the airport to report to TSA. When I got there, they wanted me to open the "TSA Approved" luggage lock on my bag. When I pointed out that this was a TSA approved lock he quickly pulled out his pass key and opened it. So much for TSA approved locks.

jds108
09-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Obviously it could have happened anywhere. I don't see any of these countries/agencies as any better/worse than any other.

I had a pair of small scissors in my carry-on (accidentally) that made it past TSA, made it through Amsterdam, then got caught at my connection with Ukraine. Fortunately I haven't had problems with theft.

Salsa_Lover
09-28-2013, 07:26 PM
This thread is worthless without pics... Of the Ukranian девушки !

gearguywb
09-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Not long ago there was a news article about the number of TSA employees that were terminated for theft.