PDA

View Full Version : TiGr Lock = FAIL

plattyjo
09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
My friend who shared the link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8YoT9Q9VA&feature=youtu.be) with me said, "The German distributor of the locks has offered a full refund to all customers. Note that this is the 19mm version of the lock but I somehow doubt that making the lock wider offers much more protection."

And another friend commented: "When these were in the initial launch here in the US, Kickstarter IIRC, there was a run of bad press like this. I was amazed that they persisted when I saw them at the Seattle Expo last year. A hip and cool idea that ended up being about as robust as kite string. As always marketing vs reality."

Gsinill
09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the link! I was on the verge for quite a while...

cekte
09-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Wow, what an absolute joke. I was also considering buying one of these at some point. Huge waste of money avoided, Thanks!

gavingould
09-27-2013, 05:47 PM
well, that was pathetic.

rrudoff
09-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah I have several co-workers with these, I watched the company videos and called BS, I have cut Ti before, it is not that hard with an angle grinder or even a good quality hack saw blade (let alone a bolt cutters as shown), and the video from the company made it look much more difficult than reality. Sad....

jasonlee
09-27-2013, 06:16 PM
They were at Interbike last week as well.

one60
09-27-2013, 06:28 PM
suggests they would withstand a bolt cutter? If anything, it was designed perfectly for opening with a bolt cutter. The lock mechanism doesn't look all that stout either.

Gsinill
09-27-2013, 06:32 PM
What sucks even more is that they got their $$$ through Kickstarter.
More scams like this will seriously damage an actually cool crowd funding concept.

slidey
09-27-2013, 07:22 PM
This is my biggest concern as well. Besides the obvious good, Kickstarter also opens up the communication lines between the wordpress-savvy idiot/scamster to pull a fast one over the gullible yet affluent member of the public who fools him/herself into thinking that they truly know a great idea when they see it.

More scams like this will seriously damage an actually cool crowd funding concept.

aoe
09-27-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm waiting for the butted version.

pbarry
09-27-2013, 08:10 PM
$12 of Ti sheet stock + $8 for the pinned "lock". Scam.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the link! I was on the verge for quite a while...

Sekunden!!!!

tuscanyswe
09-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Pity but they did not look that good to me.

The youtube videos showing someone try to open that look with various tools are abit of a joke. Dont think they are official videos tho.

For example this guy grinds a regular u look with a power tool and does it in 15 sec or similar.

Then he goes on to the tigr-lock n does a really bad job with the grinder, stops all the time to pause, stops extra long to check what happends to the sparks that are shooting away for a little time, comes back and then continues to use the grinder like he never used a tool before. Tata 45 seconds.

a great comparison between the locks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3fJSeeyED4

oldpotatoe
09-28-2013, 07:44 AM

No they got their money from a 'crowd' who funded this. Kickstarter is just the structure,

Caveat emptor..if a person doesn't do their due diligence before giving $ to something, they deserve to get 'scammed'. How tough would it be to look at all the epcs, give it to a 'metals' guy and ask?

Crowd funding for a product should not be 'monitored' by KIckstarter.

Some ideas are great and some are completely worthless..let the person with the $ decide. The product viability is to be determined by the donors.

eddief
09-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Chinese or Russian titanium everyone talks about.

charliedid
09-28-2013, 08:05 AM
I'd be more impressed or worried about the strength if that was a 12" or 16" bolt cutter but still...

The lock simply never appealed to me.

bikinchris
09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Chinese or Russian titanium everyone talks about.

All titanium is very easy to cut. I found that out years ago, when I had to use a Dremel tool to make a modification on a ti frame. Luckily, I was going easy. It cuts like butter. Steel is much harder to cut.

Mark McM
09-28-2013, 08:44 PM
This is my biggest concern as well. Besides the obvious good, Kickstarter also opens up the communication lines between the wordpress-savvy idiot/scamster to pull a fast one over the gullible yet affluent member of the public who fools him/herself into thinking that they truly know a great idea when they see it.

When I first heard of Kickstarter, my first thought was, "so here's where all the companies and ideas that couldn't get financing through the usual avenues will end up."

The usual avenues being people and institutions who actually research the things they invest in, and stay in business because they don't invest in losing ideas.

I've seen more than one invention on Kickstarter that relied on some type of perpetual motion.

Louis
09-28-2013, 11:43 PM
I've seen more than one invention on Kickstarter that relied on some type of perpetual motion.

Everyone knows that both the First and the Second Laws of Thermodynamics are bunk.

I have design that's nearly perfected and once the details are worked out I'll be submitting it to the US Patent Office, once they've lifted their senseless ban on them:

What can and cannot be patented?

What can be patented – utility patents are provided for a new, nonobvious and useful:

Process
Machine
Article of manufacture
Composition of matter
Improvement of any of the above

Note: In addition to utility patents, encompassing one of the categories above, patent protection is available for (1) ornamental design of an article of manufacture or (2) asexually reproduced plant varieties by design and plant patents.

What cannot be patented:

Laws of nature
Physical phenomena
Abstract ideas
Literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works (these can be Copyright protected). Go to the Copyright Office .
Inventions which are:
Not useful (such as perpetual motion machines); or
Offensive to public morality

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs38/i/2008/326/5/9/Perpetual_Motion_Machine_by_ArtOfTheMystic.jpg