PDA

View Full Version : OT: Breaking Bad series...any other fans?

bikeridah
09-27-2013, 10:30 AM
If the penultimate episode is any indication, the series finale this Sunday is going to be wild.

Not sure how they intend to wrap up the storyline with Todd and Jesse, perhaps leaving door open for a spin-off?

I'll miss the show, but I think they made the right decision to go out on top.

Good thing Homeland is starting back up. House of Cards is another winner too.

Discuss...

Don49
09-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Yeah, big fan here. I've been watching from the beginning and BB will be hard to replace. Guess I can watch it all again from the beginning. I don't have cable TV so I get it on Netflix and Amazon.

Remember the trailer for this season, Walt has that machine gun (M60?) in his trunk and is back in Albuquerque. So he is going after Uncle Jack and his gang.
My guess is that Walt rescues Jesse but gets killed in the process, but still redeems himself to some extent.

On one of the BB podcasts Vince Gilligan had reported that the final two episodes would be commercial free and 75 minutes long. But last week's was the usual length so I guess not.

kramnnim
09-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Last week was ~10 minutes longer than normal, I think.

...and yeah, I watched from the first episode, without really knowing what it was about...just that ""Malcom's dad" was in it. How unlike Malcolm's dad Walt has become...

Got so used to rooting for Walt and it's been such a slow transition to his become bad...hard to root for him now, but I still kind of do.

Would be surprised to see Walt do anything good for Jesse now.

wooly
09-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes, huge fan here from the beginning. I've heard reports that a spinoff series is coming: Just Call Saul. It won't replace BB but Saul is a great character.

bikeridah
09-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Yes, huge fan here from the beginning. I've heard reports that a spinoff series is coming: Just Call Saul. It won't replace BB but Saul is a great character.

I'd be hard pressed to get excited about a show around him. His see/hear/do no evil schtick is wearing thin.

wooly
09-27-2013, 11:06 AM
I'd be hard pressed to get excited about a show around him. His see/hear/do no evil schtick is wearing thin.

I think it's all dependent on the writers. BB is great because it's so well written.

sc53
09-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Great show, I watched from the beginning and kept trying to interest my friends in it. Other great shows that just ended or are ending this week: Dexter (got sort of stupid but I watched this last season anyway); Broadchurch (BBC America crime/detective thriller, great actors and acting); The Bridge (FX show about cops in El Paso and across the border in Juarez, full of really crazy creeps and criminals); Low Winter Sun (on AMC, same channel as Breaking Bad, Greek detective in run-down disgusting Detroit fighting off and succumbing to corruption).

oldguy00
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Yup, love it.
I did start watching Homeland, I think about 4 or 5 episodes, but then got side tracked. Will probably start back into that after BB is over.

oldguy00
09-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Oh, and my wife and I just watched the first season or Orange is the New Black on Netflix, really liked that too.

Dave B
09-27-2013, 11:50 AM
I have loved BB, but the second to last episode was not that well done. The amount of plot side stepped, the time progression and what could be solved is a huge laep. The Risen collected from his house? The retribution for the $70+ stolen, Jesse...

The entire plot from the beginning has been Walt taking care of the family and to see him unable to seems a desperate turn.

I hope the end is fantastic, but I worry my expectations are too high. PLus as a science teacher I have always loved his moral issues and the graying of lines drawn.

Love it.

Same way I am enjoying Sons of Anarchy. A great twist to the story of Hamlet, which is very personal to me. Love the show and story. Sons is becoming the new BB.

forgot also love Walt buying himself and his son SRT's

scho74
09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
agreed, this last episode was a little slow and i'm hoping the finale will make my brain implode. the episode with hank and gomez in the dessert blew me away...just wow!!

jmoore
09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
agreed, this last episode was a little slow and i'm hoping the finale will make my brain implode. the episode with hank and gomez in the dessert blew me away...just wow!!

it was the calm before the storm.

IMO, Breaking Bad is right there with the Sopranos as one of the best shows ever on TV

cmg
09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Great show, I watched from the beginning and kept trying to interest my friends in it. Other great shows that just ended or are ending this week: Dexter (got sort of stupid but I watched this last season anyway); Broadchurch (BBC America crime/detective thriller, great actors and acting); The Bridge (FX show about cops in El Paso and across the border in Juarez, full of really crazy creeps and criminals); Low Winter Sun (on AMC, same channel as Breaking Bad, Greek detective in run-down disgusting Detroit fighting off and succumbing to corruption).

Broadchurch had a brillant ending. Never saw it coming. Instead of disclosing right at the end of the hour it happend in the middle so you could see the aftermath.

If you caught Luther also on BBC America it to had a great run. nice anti-hero tone.

Broid
09-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Got sucked in here at the end by my wife who's a big fan. I'm waiting to see how the moral ambiguity resolves itself...

tuscanyswe
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Best series ever? Perhaps challenged by the wire. Cant get enough of this masterful series.

William
09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
I've watched the whole series on Netflix. We got rid of cable a while back so I'm all ancy not being able to see the build up and finale. I'll have to either wait until the last season comes out on DVD/Netflix....until then, shhhhhhhhhhhhh!:mad:

:D
William

William
09-27-2013, 02:39 PM
:)

Don49
09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I've watched the whole series on Netflix. We got rid of cable a while back so I'm all ancy not being able to see the build up and finale. I'll have to either wait until the last season comes out on DVD/Netflix....until then, shhhhhhhhhhhhh!:mad:
:D
William
What I did was get a season pass from Amazon, costs under $3/episode, and you can watch in HD. As a real fan I just couldn't wait for season 5 & 6 to come to Netflix.

You may want to stop following this thread, it could break bad and ruin the finale for you.

William
09-27-2013, 03:28 PM
What I did was get a season pass from Amazon, costs under $3/episode, and you can watch in HD. As a real fan I just couldn't wait for season 5 & 6 to come to Netflix.

You may want to stop following this thread, it could break bad and ruin the finale for you.

I'm out!!!

William
Thanks for the Amazon tip!:cool:

Steve530
09-27-2013, 05:55 PM
What I did was get a season pass from Amazon, costs under $3/episode, and you can watch in HD. As a real fan I just couldn't wait for season 5 & 6 to come to Netflix...

That's what we did, too.

I'm actually thinking of getting up early Monday morning to watch the last episode when it becomes available on Amazon.

Tony T
09-27-2013, 06:01 PM

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Better-Call-Saul-e1378936254240.jpg

The Creator/Writer (Vince Gilligan, also a writer on the X-Files) just signed a deal for a detective drama for CBS.

Seramount
09-27-2013, 06:13 PM
while I've enjoyed the majority of the BB episodes, as a whole, it doesn't hold a candle to The Wire or Sopranos.

there's a few too many characters that I find tedious...Walt's son Flynn being the worst of the lot. Hank's wife Marie also grates. Skyler is tolerable in micro-doses...

Saul is a little cartoonish, but his antics are entertaining.

but, almost all of the bad guys have been great...Gus especially so.

I had a serious crush on Jane...trainwreck that she was.

dekindy
09-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Nope.

Pars
09-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah, have watched this from the beginning. Great show. A few stretches of the imagination, like he wouldn't have gotten blown away by the cartel, the airplane collision, etc.

I wish I would have watched The Wire. Just starting that on Comcast now, though I have to use my laptop to do it on the TV.

Gat64
09-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Insanely addictive and great character development for a tv show. I have really enjoyed it and am looking for Funyons to share with my daughters for the season finale, but alas, not available in Canada!

Tony T
09-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Get Cheetos (not Fritos).
"Ch-ch-ch sound. Virtually impossible to confuse Cheetos with Fritos it seems to me"

paulh
09-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm always amused by my TV Guide info screen describing this as a "Comedy-Drama"

Comedy? Meth heads, murders, betrayal, beheadings, bombings.

It's a laugh riot I tell you.

Gat64
09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Get Cheetos (not Fritos).
"Ch-ch-ch sound. Virtually impossible to confuse Cheetos with Fritos it seems to me"

That's right - I forgot about that scene! Poor Hank.

Tony T
09-27-2013, 08:58 PM
That's right - I forgot about that scene! Poor Hank.

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/schraderbrau-feature-300x184.jpg

"Jesus Christ Marie! They're Minerals! "

MadRocketSci
09-27-2013, 09:39 PM
I had a serious crush on Jane...trainwreck that she was.

just curious...were you into the hamburglar as a kid?

daker13
09-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Love it, love the dark, post 2008 vibe, and it's structured much more thoughtfully than the sopranos and most of the other quality shows. Like all the turns had been worked out a couple years in advance.

For me, one of the big holes has been the way the show dropped the plot line that followed Walt's former business partners. Really glad to see this taken up again at the end ofthe second to last episode, and very curious as to what they're going to do with it.

Tony T
09-28-2013, 07:02 AM
A plot hole for me was that although a lot of effort needs to be put into money laundering, no thought was given to this when Skyler gave $600,000 to Ted for the IRS payment.

Tony T
09-28-2013, 07:06 AM
For me, one of the big holes has been the way the show dropped the plot line that followed Walt's former business partners. Really glad to see this taken up again at the end ofthe second to last episode, and very curious as to what they're going to do with it.

I was disappointed with this as it could be used to validate all the bad that Walt did. (i.e.: "If I didn't get screwed by my former partners, none of this would have happened") Walt needs to face what he is tomorrow, he can no longer say he's doing it for his family.

daker13
09-28-2013, 08:13 AM
I was disappointed with this as it could be used to validate all the bad that Walt did. (i.e.: "If I didn't get screwed by my former partners, none of this would have happened") Walt needs to face what he is tomorrow, he can no longer say he's doing it for his family.

I thought the beginning of the series presented a pretty credible justification for his cooking meth: he was a broke science teacher forced to work two jobs to support his family (the second of which was unskilled and involved him occasionally getting humiliated by his students) , and then he was diagnosed with cancer, which he couldn't afford to fight, so he made drugs to leave a nest egg for his family. Getting screwed by his former friends was the icing on the cake. It definitely made him less of an Everyman, though. Dramatically, I guess I'd like to see those crunchy, pseudo socially conscious billionaires get punished.

Tony T
09-28-2013, 08:24 AM
But Walt went over the line when he let Jane die. From that point, he could no longer blame his situation on his leaving (being forced out of) Grey Matter. That's why I hope that Walt doesn't get revenge on them tomorrow. They may have set him on his path, but at some point Walt must take sole responsibility for his actions.

If anyone deserves vengeance, it's Jesse (against Walt).

daker13
09-28-2013, 03:55 PM
But Walt went over the line when he let Jane die.

Totally agree!

Gat64
09-29-2013, 08:13 AM
At least for me, the hatred for the psychocreep Todd outweighs the disgust for Walt. I think the writers knew there would be some people who would struggle to keep watching, but by introducing Todd, we've got something to root for.

Go get'em Walt.

R2D2
09-29-2013, 08:17 AM
At least for me, the hatred for the psychocreep Todd outweighs the disgust for Walt. I think the writers knew there would be some people who would struggle to keep watching, but by introducing Todd, we've got something to root for.

Go get'em Walt.

Like I tell my wife, "Don't f with the neo-nazis."

Tony T
09-29-2013, 08:44 AM
At least for me, the hatred for the psychocreep Todd outweighs the disgust for Walt.

That's only because we know little about Todd.
He could be doing it for his family ;)

Should be a good finale tonight. Sorry to see it end.

bikeridah
09-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Go get'em Walt.

Agree Todd is psycho, but I never developed any hatred towards him. His character is surprisingly intelligenta and he's incredibly loyal.

Tony T
09-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Agree Todd is psycho, but I never developed any hatred towards him. His character is surprisingly intelligenta and he's incredibly loyal.

Even when he shot the kid?
(Notice the parallels btwn Walt and Todd?)

Seramount
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
and, we're done...

thought the finale was something of a letdown.

seemed like just checking the boxes...say goodbye to wife, pat baby on head, avoid contact with son who hates you, put fear of jeebus in former business partners, kill bad guys, die.

was really hoping for something a little more thought-provoking.

all of the co-irkers thought it was 'tidied up nicely'...blechh...

for a show that went way out on a limb with its premise, it just played it safe on the final episode.

bikeridah
09-30-2013, 05:53 PM
and, we're done...

thought the finale was something of a letdown.

seemed like just checking the boxes...say goodbye to wife, pat baby on head, avoid contact with son who hates you, put fear of jeebus in former business partners, kill bad guys, die.

was really hoping for something a little more thought-provoking.

all of the co-irkers thought it was 'tidied up nicely'...blechh...

for a show that went way out on a limb with its premise, it just played it safe on the final episode.

Totally agree. Was ever so slightly surprised that Jesse lived.

BryanE
09-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Put me in the "was expecting more" club.
Still better than the Sopranos ending or the travesty of Deadwood.

Anarchist
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I can honestly say that until about 2 months ago I had never heard of this show. Then all the insane talk started up about the ending, the finale, of a show I has never heard of.

So now after all the jabber about the end of this wonderful show, I can now say I have heard of it, have never seen it, will never watch it.

daker13
09-30-2013, 09:51 PM
I can honestly say that until about 2 months ago I had never heard of this show. Then all the insane talk started up about the ending, the finale, of a show I has never heard of.

So now after all the jabber about the end of this wonderful show, I can now say I have heard of it, have never seen it, will never watch it.

Sounds like you're quite an iconoclast.

Don49
09-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

Gat64
10-01-2013, 06:13 AM
I found the finale to be quite satisfying, and, I think it was the only way to go to honor the story. I especially liked the great ending for Todd at the hands of Jessie and was pleased to see Skinny Pete and Badger play a role in the end.

I was thinking about the show last night - everyone that Walt was in contact with, had their lives ruined....even the windshield repair guy - cuz he ended up with the Aztek.

tuxbailey
10-01-2013, 07:56 AM
I haven't read other posts in this thread since I am afraid of spoilers.

I just starting watching it on Netflix and I midway through season 2. The show is so well done that it is keeping me hooked.

The last time a series that was so satisfying was "Band of Brothers."

Tony T
10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I liked the ending, but it would have been more satisfying if it took place over a few episodes, and less "just in time" moments (i.e. Walt calls the DEA to surrender, sits down at the bar for a drink, sees old partners on Charlie Rose (by accident as the bartender flips through channels), and then has the revelation on how to get the $10 million to his family minutes before the Sheriff arrives).

grawk
10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I was thinking about the show last night - everyone that Walt was in contact with, had their lives ruined....even the windshield repair guy - cuz he ended up with the Aztek.

Hillarious!

I think it was an amazingly nuanced story, where you want to like Walt because he has gone through so much, but he kept choosing the more evil path when presented with options. If he'd sucked it up and gone to his wealthy friends sooner, and asked for fair compensation for his part of the company, maybe everything else would have been different...

Tony T
10-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Hillarious!
If he'd sucked it up and gone to his wealthy friends sooner, and asked for fair compensation for his part of the company, maybe everything else would have been different...

They ran a similar story line earlier. His old partners offered to pay for his cancer treatment. He declined, not wanting to take charity (from someone who he believed cheated him out of the company he founded). I agree with Walt on this.

grawk
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm not talking about charity, I'm talking about his actually asking for fair compensation for his contributions. I know he didn't want the charity. Instead he used unwillingness to actually ask for what he felt like he deserved and hte resulting lack of results to justify his evil actions.

redir
10-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Interesting. I'm more of a video gamer then a TV watcher so I never heard of this show but from reading these comments about what the show is about I find it intriguing especially since my very normal, nice guy, good father, always willing to help neighbor just got raided by the SWAT team and busted for meth :eek:

Tony T
10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm not talking about charity, I'm talking about his actually asking for fair compensation for his contributions. I know he didn't want the charity. Instead he used unwillingness to actually ask for what he felt like he deserved and hte resulting lack of results to justify his evil actions.

He did get compensated when he left. Yes, it was peanuts, but he left before the company became successful.
Anyway, it would have been a very short show if what you suggest happened ;)

EvanTA
10-01-2013, 11:40 AM
I thought Breaking Bad was one of the best dramas out there. It's up there in the upper echelons of great tv like The Wire, Deadwood, and Twin Peaks. Well worth watching start to finish.

Pars
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
But Walt went over the line when he let Jane die.
Yeah, I never understood why he didn't save her when he could easily have done so.

As far as Grey Matter went, didn't understand why Walt, if he was such a brilliant chemist, wound up teaching at a HS and not a University somewhere.

Still a great show.

MadRocketSci
10-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I never understood why he didn't save her when he could easily have done so.

same reason why Dr. Nefario called Miss Hattie to return the three girls to the orphanage when Gru started to get off track from his mission to steal the moon in "Despicable Me"

Drover
10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
That was such a fantastic episode!!!

oldguy00
10-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Just watched the last episode. What a great series, loved it.

Someone mentioned band of brothers.......never watched it. Worth starting?

Pars
10-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Just watched the last episode. What a great series, loved it.

^ Yes.

Flying Pigeon
10-01-2013, 05:18 PM
As far as Grey Matter went, didn't understand why Walt, if he was such a brilliant chemist, wound up teaching at a HS and not a University somewhere.

There was an early flashback to Walt and Skyler when they are buying their house. Walt said something about how he will be earning big bucks at Sandia labs or somewhere.

Could there be something that tarnished his career or some trainwreck from his fallout with Gretchen?

But I'm only about a Cat 5 Breaking Bad nerd and frankly am shocked to go on the fan sites read all the analysis from the 1-2 Pro field.

djg21
10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I liked the ending, but it would have been more satisfying if it took place over a few episodes, and less "just in time" moments (i.e. Walt calls the DEA to surrender, sits down at the bar for a drink, sees old partners on Charlie Rose (by accident as the bartender flips through channels), and then has the revelation on how to get the $10 million to his family minutes before the Sheriff arrives).

I thought the ending was more than a couple episodes. In fact, it was the entire 8-episode season. For me, the 3rd-to-last episode, where Hank was shot, really was the end of the series. The rest was just tidying up.

Seramount
10-01-2013, 07:43 PM

most definitely. an outstanding series...

#campyuserftw
10-01-2013, 08:22 PM
House of Cards on Netflix is slick, cunning, witty, with great scripts, plots, twists and top notch acting.

William
10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I see it's now available on iTunes as well.:cool:

William

EvanTA
10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I agree that the ending could have had one or two more episodes in between the last and the second to last. More time to watch Walt put his plans in place, then the final episode where it is all executed. The really enjoyable part of the show was watching him hatch and execute a plan, and compared to most shows you could actually judge it as it went through planning stages, and not just have some "all better now!" plan executed behind the scenes.

Don49
10-02-2013, 09:19 PM
I only regret that Walt wasn't left alive, or at least the possibility. He could have grabbed a car from Uncle Jacks and made an escape, like Jesse did . I would love to see a Breaking Bad movie in a couple of years, but that's impossible now. Guess I still want more of the story.

EvanTA
10-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Not much point in saying it definitely is or isn't this, since there's no sure way to confirm it, but it's fun to think about:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/norm-mcdonald-breaking-bad/

bikeridah
10-03-2013, 08:05 AM
House of Cards on Netflix is slick, cunning, witty, with great scripts, plots, twists and top notch acting.

+1. Next season doesn't start until "early 2014" though!

MadRocketSci
10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
I only regret that Walt wasn't left alive, or at least the possibility. He could have grabbed a car from Uncle Jacks and made an escape, like Jesse did . I would love to see a Breaking Bad movie in a couple of years, but that's impossible now. Guess I still want more of the story.

don't fret...i have it on good authority that Walt is back...on the Walking Dead..

daker13
10-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Not much point in saying it definitely is or isn't this, since there's no sure way to confirm it, but it's fun to think about:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/norm-mcdonald-breaking-bad/

Emily Nussbaum (New Yorker?) had the same theory. I generally don't like these cutesy 'clever' interpretations, but I have to say, it makes a lot of sense: mostly because everything after the car had a faint sense of unreality, and perhaps the ending was a bit too neat, as a lot of writers have said. I don't know if I buy it, but it's reasonable.

PS re: Norm's tweets: I love Norm McDonald, but jeez, how would he get the ***** in a sealed pack of Stevia? Even I could pull that one off, and I'm not an accomplished chemist and train robber.

Tony T
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
exacto knife and glue?
and regarding Norm's fantasy theory, that could apply anywhere (i.e. in the cabin)
...maybe it was all a dream he had when undergoing surgery back in S03 :-)

johnmdesigner
10-04-2013, 11:06 AM
RIP Walt.