PDA

View Full Version : OT: Starting to run

LegendRider
09-27-2013, 08:14 AM
My schedule is preventing me from getting in the miles that I'd like, and I'm considering beginning a running program to stay fit and keep the weight off. I'm 46, don't have a running background and had knee surgery 20 years ago (meniscus tear). Can I run safely and without injury? If so, how? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

AngryScientist
09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
start easy!

running definitely uses different muscles than cycling, dont go hard or far in the beginning even if you feel pretty good, that's a recipe for an overuse injury. ease into it, listen to your body's feedback and use how you feel as a guide to how fast to progress.

go to a good running store, like a real running store, not a big-box department store and let them help you pick out a pair of running shoes.

dress appropriately. my knees are sensitive to the cold, so i wear running pants when there is a chill in the air, especially if it's an easy running day where i wont fully warm up.

lookout2015
09-27-2013, 08:25 AM
You might look at the Couch to 5k program -- it'll ease you in so you don't overdo it initially and blow out your knee, and it'll give you a goal you're working towards at the same time

oldpotatoe
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
My schedule is preventing me from getting in the miles that I'd like, and I'm considering beginning a running program to stay fit and keep the weight off. I'm 46, don't have a running background and had knee surgery 20 years ago (meniscus tear). Can I run safely and without injury? If so, how? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Reformed runner here..ran for about 10 years, stopped in 1985. It is enjoyable, easy, less $, run almost anywhere, any time.

BUT it will pound you. Ran 7 marathons, numerous smaller 'races', running was addictive to me, I really enjoyed it but it will pound you.

Had the best shoes of the time, had coaches, read Jim Fixx's book, but it still pounds you.

AngryScientist
09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Reformed runner here..ran for about 10 years, stopped in 1985. It is enjoyable, easy, less $, run almost anywhere, any time.

BUT it will pound you. Ran 7 marathons, numerous smaller 'races', running was addictive to me, I really enjoyed it but it will pound you.

Had the best shoes of the time, had coaches, read Jim Fixx's book, but it still pounds you.

same story here really. the reason i got into cycling in the first place was to take some of the stress of the impact of running off my body, and i turned out to love cycling and do so more than run now.

that said, if you can find some nice well groomed trails to run on, that's great, beats pavement any day for impact stress.

jghall
09-27-2013, 08:46 AM
As others have mentioned, start slow, do not overdue it, even though you feel fit.

I'd also suggest running softer. Running on grass per say, versus on the street/pavement. A little less pounding on the knees.

oldguy00
09-27-2013, 08:56 AM
In case it wasn't clear, start slow! :) And easy.
Runners get injured. Just part of the deal.
Join a local 5km learn to run group, etc.
Do things like 5 minutes easy run, 1 minute walk, etc.

tmf
09-27-2013, 08:57 AM
The couch to 5K program is good - it is a step by step program to help you start easy with a combination of walking and running that gradually shifts to more and more running. Take it really easy at first. My biggest problem with running is when I try to do too much too soon.

I'll add to the above comments to spend a good 10-15 minutes stretching after you run. I've found that stretching is the key to keeping your legs healthy and injuries away.

If you have access to a treadmill, I think that's a good way to start because they have a more forgiving surface.

As said above, go to a running store to determine the type of shoe you need based on your leg ergonomics. For years I thought I was an over-pronator. I started running again about 2 years ago and did a gait analysis at a good running store. They determined I had a neutral gait, which completely changed the type of shoe I needed.

I've just started up running again after taking the warmer months off. I like being able to get in a good intense workout in an hour or less when it's dark and cold out. I still try to ride about 50% of the time, and run the other 50%.

charliedid
09-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Start by walking.

If all you want is fitness out of it, do it every other day for 5 miles or less.

Run on something besides concrete if you can.

zap
09-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Start with a visit to a running store that will look at your stride/foot plant and then they will recommend the correct running shoe. Hopefully your feet are in good shape that you do not need to see a podiatrist

Then start with walks (if you are not doing so already) and then after a week or two start with short jogs. Progress from there.

weiwentg
09-27-2013, 10:11 AM
I'd also suggest lifting weights. You can make a lot of weight workouts aerobic, although you will probably have to run from spot to spot. Google some Crossfit workouts and reduce the weight and volume to suit where you are (and imo ignore all the garbage about the paleo diet they tend to espouse). Get at least some upper body work. I used to get pain in my shoulders with long rides, but strengthening my upper body has really helped with that. Start slow, of course, like everyone is suggesting with running.

I've been running some myself due to time pressure, and I could probably finish a 10k in a decent time. If you want to be competitive in an actual race, you'd probably sacrifice a bit of cycling ability. But don't worry about that if you're just cross training.

ww sunn
09-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Check out the Hoka brand of running shoes. They're the full suspension, 29er version of running shoes.

I'm a long-time cyclist but I ran a decent marathon this summer. The Hoka shoes saved my legs.

MattTuck
09-27-2013, 10:23 AM
I think running is a great whole body workout, and if you want to do it (for whatever reason), take the advice so far proffered.

I'll just gently suggest that with some planning and a structured training plan including intervals, that you could probably maintain your fitness even with short workouts on the bike.

Then, there is another viewpoint. Running is the path to the darkside. ;)

jh_on_the_cape
09-27-2013, 10:30 AM
For lack of time I run about 10x more than I ride.
Running is fun. If you worry about injury get some proper shoes, as mentioned. Also run on dirt roads. There is form to running to reduce pounding. Sink into your hips and pretend that someone is pulling you along with a string attached to a belly button ring. That keeps my posture up.

I use Hal Higdon's plans, currently doing another Marathon Novice I.

halhigdon.com there are lots of different plans for 5k and up.

I prefer running. Way less gear, maintenance. Easier to do when you travel.

As far as running safely, consult a doctor, not the internet! I think you are fine. If you feel discomfort... stop. Make sure you stretch, etc.

MattTuck
09-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Due to the line wrap, and me misreading your comment, this is what I read. I was like, "oh, that is what I've been doing wrong!"

For lack of time I run about 10x more than I ride.
Running is fun. If you worry about injury get some proper shoes, as mentioned. Also run on dirt roads. There is form to running to reduce pounding. Sink into your hips and pretend that Running is fun. someone is pulling you along with a string attached to a belly button ring. That keeps my posture up.

I use Hal Higdon's plans, currently doing another Marathon Novice I.

halhigdon.com there are lots of different plans for 5k and up.

I prefer running. Way less gear, maintenance. Easier to do when you travel.

As far as running safely, consult a doctor, not the internet! I think you are fine. If you feel discomfort... stop. Make sure you stretch, etc.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2013, 10:58 AM
As others have mentioned, start slow, do not overdue it, even though you feel fit.

I'd also suggest running softer. Running on grass per say, versus on the street/pavement. A little less pounding on the knees.

BUT uneven surface..it kinda did a number on my ankles and achilles tendons..tendon issues was why I stopped..After 1985 NYC marathon...no mas, bought a Ciocc...think I gained 15 pounds the next day tho...

chengher87
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
BUT uneven surface..it kinda did a number on my ankles and achilles tendons..tendon issues was why I stopped..After 1985 NYC marathon...no mas, bought a Ciocc...think I gained 15 pounds the next day tho...

+1 Start slow either way. Uneven surfaces put more pressure on feet and ankles to stabilize and can cause many rolled ankles early for the uninitiated. Pavement destroys knees and shins if you try to do much as well.

Plus, your cardiovascular system will let you know that you need to lighten up. I used to run every day and now limit myself to 3 times a week, even a week layoff requires a run or two for my heart to really get pumping again.

Lanterne Rouge
09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Be very very careful.

Cycling + Running is dangerously close to a triathlon. If you feel the urge to swim then head to the nearest Rapha store and have an espresso.

An accidental combining of the unholy trinity is very serious indeed.

You're welcome.

oldguy00
09-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Be very very careful.

Cycling + Running is dangerously close to a triathlon. If you feel the urge to swim then head to the nearest Rapha store and have an espresso.

You're welcome.

Now now... :) I switched primarily to triathlon a couple years ago, did my first Ironman last month. I enjoy it so much more than just cycling! :D

LegendRider
09-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Be very very careful.

You're welcome.

I can guaranDAMNtee that there will be no triathlon in my future.

GScot
09-27-2013, 11:37 AM
I started running to get my 50 lb poodle/airedale enough exercise without going to a dog park. I'm the analytic engineer type so I read a lot then went to a good running store (plug for Roadrunner Sports if one is near you) and had the gait and foot type analysis. That was in July 2011. My right foot did not track straight, I payed close attention to my form and after 6 weeks of intermittent pain (not injury just training a new motion) on that side of my body I could call myself a runner. Fixing my form was well worth the effort. Ran a half marathon the following January.

Now I run 4 days a week and ride 4, since I'm not really training for anything specific I take a rest day whenever I need to. I fell in to the minimal shoe fad and do not regret it. Started with Newtons which are very good at pushing you toward 'natural running' and still use them about half the time. Otherwise I use very low or zero drop shoes that still offer some cushion/protection. Number one cycling benefit for me is standing and climbing, I believe running has given me more power and stamina out of the saddle.

This is more of a story than advice but I think the best advice is already covered. Ease into it, have a plan, and pay attention to your body. Pushing too hard with running will surely bite you in ass. I've avoided running injury but have also walked home when the fatigue got to the point I was running sloppy.

jeffreyt
09-27-2013, 01:53 PM
After greater than 25 years of only biking, I thought that I'd mix up my work outs and I started running this year. I failed to listen to the "start easy" advice.

On my second run of the year, I was feeling good, and the cardio felt great from all my years of riding. After a couple of miles I had a slight twinge in my left knee. My biking mentality told me that I could keep going and deal with the annoying pain. For the next two weeks, I could hardly walk down stairs and my knee always felt like it was going to give out on me. Long story short... it has taken me eight months to recover from this and be able to run without pain. Please start easy and build up.

Dave Ferris
09-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Been at this running thing for 32 years. Probably close to 65,000 miles covered. I used to race a ton, all distances, but now just run simply because I have an intense passion for it.

Just turned 60 and while I'm still running at a pretty high level for my age group , the past year I'm forcing myself to get on the bike once or twice a week. The bike is not enjoyable for me, more like a chore, but I think it will prolong my running and keep me at a good quality level. I don't wanna be that old guy plodder you see out on the road and wonder if he's going to freeze up at any second. If I ever lose that semblance of turnover, then it will be time to retire to all bike-like a lot of my friends-- who all wish they were still running..lol

All good advice given here. Just to echo some of the things mentioned already and maybe throw in a few other suggestions for the long run--

Even if it means driving a bit to a park, or track at a school, try and stay on even soft surfaces with no hills. As much as I love running on the trails here in LA , they are very hilly, rutted, uneven and rocky. This can play havoc on ankles, shins, feet and even balance. Dirt roads are great. Unfortunately we don't have such an animal here in LA. It's either fireroads, single track trails or roads (where all the cars are :( ) .

Get yourself fit at a legit running store where real runners work at. Preferably more mature ones. They have more experience. Don't try and cheap out on your shoes. You don't need the ridiculously expensive ones...the $90-$130 range is where you want to stay.

Nothing wrong with alternating walking breaks in there when starting out or up again. Always do less and finish feeling like you could have done more. Save it for another day. Run by time not miles. Ice and rest are your best friends. After every run that ends at my house...within one minute I have the high pressure hose in front of my house spraying my legs, calves, quads, hamstrings down with cold water. Takes a lot of the lactate acid buildup out. Your legs feel immediately lighter.

The trigger point massage thing with the rollers are your second closest friend. I've found this one to be outstanding
http://www.tptherapy.com/Shop-Online/All-TPPT-Products/The-GRID-Foam-Roller.html

I've fought chronic hip pain for over 20 years. The culprit is the sacrotuberous ligament in the hip. This little ball saved my running.
http://www.tptherapy.com/Shop-Online/All-TPPT-Products/Massage-Ball_2.html

Don't forget to stretch. These are also an important part of my recovery

hamstring stretch with rope or band
http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/movements/rope-stretch-straight-leg-hamstring.html

achilles, calf, arch, plantar, etc.
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/FTW105/?cc=NA&sc=CX13D418&cm_mmc=psearch-_-google-_-na-_-rrs101-FTW105&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Psearch&utm_term=RRS101-FTW105&origin=pla
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PTU100/prism-step-stretch/

Also do one leg strengthening at home or the gym on balance or wobble boards. This company is the best resource for balance boards
http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Category/6/BalanceBoards.aspx

Incorporate one leg regular and half squats, lunges and step ups. All done with very light weights. I started doing all of this balance/core/trigger point massage stuff in my early 40s and without a doubt it has been crucial to keeping me in the ballgame while all my high mileage friends, who would laugh at me when I would take a day off from running and go to the gym, had to retire or go strictly to the bike.

Good luck with it. A lot of it is really common sense and not doing too much too soon.

Louis
09-27-2013, 10:43 PM
If you want to get a lot done in a short period of time, IMO you really can beat a Concept II indoor rower. http://www.concept2.com/

It's an awesome workout, and much more complete than cycling.

http://www.concept2.com/files/images/indoor-rowers/model-d/slides/paul.jpg

dekindy
09-28-2013, 04:42 AM
No. Try low stress aerobics or something.

saab2000
09-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Start easy. A few hundred feet. Then walk. Literally. Work your way up. Don't go from zero to hero or you will get injured and then you can't run either. Pushing too hard too soon is a mistake.

bewheels
09-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Lots of good info here. The only thing I would add is - it is OK to walk while you are running. You may feel pressure (self imposed or not) to never walk during a run. When you want to...just walk.