PDA

View Full Version : Where to run the cables on the bars

Veloo
09-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Time to set up the cables/ housing. Athena 11S Powershift levers are installed.
The shifting cable is already directed toward the inner side of the bars. The brake cable exit is located on the outside of the bars. I'm thinking to just leave as is and have the cables on opposite sides of the bar. If I cross the brake cable over to join the shifting on the front of the bars I'm thinking I will have my palm against the portion of cable that crosses over to the front.

How are you guys running your line?

Also surprised that the exit hole for the brake cable is not big enough for the brake housing to slide into so the housing will just be bumped up against the lever body.

Veloo
09-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Here is a pic of how the shifter cables were factory installed on each lever. They exit toward the inner of the bar. I just assumed this was correct. Instructions indicate that the shifter cables should be exiting on the outer side of the bars.
The inner hole is larger diameter and would accommodate brake cable housing and the outer hole is smaller and fits gear housing.

Perhaps factory routed it wrong?

KidWok
09-26-2013, 11:40 PM
The shifting cable is already directed toward the inner side of the bars. The brake cable exit is located on the outside of the bars. I'm thinking to just leave as is and have the cables on opposite sides of the bar. If I cross the brake cable over to join the shifting on the front of the bars I'm thinking I will have my palm against the portion of cable that crosses over to the front.

Also surprised that the exit hole for the brake cable is not big enough for the brake housing to slide into so the housing will just be bumped up against the lever body.

I like running my housing on the inside because I dislike the sight and feel of it running along the outside. If you butt a couple of small pieces of thick bar tape (maybe leftover from another job) right up on each side of the housing, use a bit of electrical tape to sandwich it together with the housing in the middle, and bartape over it as normal, you won't feel the housing and will have a nice little palm swell shape there as well.

Tai

jtakeda
09-26-2013, 11:41 PM
I've always run my cables like how you have them pictured and I have never had any issues.
I've also never had power shift, only ultra so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

carpediemracing
09-27-2013, 12:13 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iKWe7Zo16Lw/UYL-sxtBzFI/AAAAAAAAE8c/Px4TKUYNVTo/s800/DSC_0680.JPG

I run them one in front, one in back. I like the oval shape on the tops when using a round top bar. It's even nicer with a wing shape top (FSA Wing bar).

Please excuse the terrible transition in the tape under the lever.

Veloo
09-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Carpediemracing you seem to be running brake cables on the inside and gear cable on the outside. Can I ask what levers you have? Centaur Powershift?

bontie
09-27-2013, 01:09 AM
I run both cables to the front/under the bars. I don't like the housing going around the side of the bars. On the inside and under its nice and "hidden"

Veloo
09-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Oops, my mistake. Brake cable exit is neither one of these pictured. Found it off to the (inner) side.

lhuerta
09-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Campagnolo brake cables always exit on inner side, your choice of inner or outer is only for der cables. Given that Campagnolo der cable set up is a bit sensitive to friction, I always run der cables on outside in order to avoid the tighter bend that that a cable will make if it runs on the inside. This is especially important if you are running bars that have a tighter right angle bend from the tops to the ramps of the bar (e.g. Easton EC90 SLX3) as compared to a bar with a more gentle curve (e.g. Deda shallow). Running der cables on the outside will also avoid the tight bend the cable makes when existing the lever and allow the cable to exit straight out, instead. Lou

thirdgenbird
09-27-2013, 07:07 AM
I go inside/outside on double groove bars and inside/ inside on single groove. I don't like the feel of the shift cable out back on a non grooved bar. It also looks cleaner when routed inside. I've not noticed any shifting issues.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iKWe7Zo16Lw/UYL-sxtBzFI/AAAAAAAAE8c/Px4TKUYNVTo/s800/DSC_0680.JPG

I run them one in front, one in back. I like the oval shape on the tops when using a round top bar. It's even nicer with a wing shape top (FSA Wing bar).

Please excuse the terrible transition in the tape under the lever.

Is there a thread on this bike?

oldpotatoe
09-27-2013, 07:22 AM

I think works a little better going behind the hbars...dab of grease in that delrin, white guide. Cut the housing cleanly, I put some Boeshield inside the housing also.

Brake housing goes INSIDE the lever body, slide it in NO FERRULES!!!

Make sure the housing is long enough..most bikes I see the der housing is too short. MUCH better to be a little long than a little short. Long enough so they cross in front of the bike, not to opposite side but overlap some.