PDA

View Full Version : OT: Where To Live in Denver?

Bradford
01-06-2006, 05:21 PM
My company wants to move me to Denver. I’ve spent a lot of time in the area, but don’t really understand neighborhoods in Denver or the suburbs. I would appreciate any advice on towns or neighborhoods to explore.

I’d especially like to understand the advantages and disadvantages of various areas for cycling. I would prefer not to have to drive to a ride if I can avoid it. I’d also love to be within commuting range, say under 12 miles, of the office.

So here are the important facts. I will be flying out of DIA regularly, mostly early flights out, so I’d have to be within 45 minutes of the airport (at 5:00 am or so), and ½ hour would be better. The office is right off the pedestrian mall downtown. We like the outdoors, so much or our recreation will be cycling, hiking, and skiing.

I live on 1 ½ acres in the suburbs now. I know I’ll be giving up the land, but I don’t want too get to urban, so a loft in Lodo is out. A 2,500 square ft house sounds about right. We won’t have to worry about schools right now, but will eventually, so a good school district would be nice but not a deal breaker. Consideration for living with an infant, however, is important.

Any advice would be appreciated.

(William, no Warren Zevon lyrics)

CalfeeFly
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Do a Google on Stapleton which is a new community built where their airport was. I read some articles and seen news magazines on it and it is getting good reviews.

Tailwinds
01-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming move to Denver. I moved here almost 3 years ago. It's Cycling MECCA!!! At least in the USA...

I live near DIA, but I have to drive to get to my rides. I suggest moving to the west side of town if possible. I would pick Lakewood, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, maybe even Golden (although that is the farthest of these from the airport -- it's still only about 40 minutes away). All of these areas are convenient to GREAT cycling. I am not sure about the different school systems, though. I would avoid Aurora. It's not very conducive to cycling, has a high crime rate, and the schools there have a bad reputation. Most areas in/near Denver are cycling-friendly, though, and there is a HUGE network of bike trails that goes all over the city... over 650 miles of paved trails, actually.

I can show you some good rides or point you in the right direction when you get to Denver. PM me if you have any questions.

mtflycaster
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Boulder.
Boulder.
Boulder.
Boulder.

'nuff said.

Bud
01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
I'd have to second the Boulder area. I live in Louisville, which is just 5 miles to the E of Boulder (and a lot cheaper!). My wife works in LoDo and takes the express bus in each day from our home- it is very convenient (we have a great bus system here). From our house, it is about 30-40 minutes to the airport on a nice expressway.

The great thing about this area is that we can do our cycling right out the door. From our home we can ride up the canyons, out on the plains, or on the paths. The schools up here are good too (if you would like to know more about them, pm me- I am an educator at CU in Boulder). As well, I can get up to summit county to go skiing (like I did today :) ) in 1.5 hours.

If you want to live closer in to LoDo, I would second Tailwinds' comments about Lakewood, WHeat Ridge or Golden. I lived in Golden for a year. Also, you will want to make Wheat Ridge Cyclery your new LBS!

Feel free to pm with any Q's and welcome to the area- you'll absolutely love it!

Bradford
01-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the tips.

CalfeeFly: I'll do a search on Stapleton and take a look. Thanks.

Tailwinds: That's what I was thinking with what I know. It's good to know that I wasn't too far off.

I have a friend in Lakewood and I've been there a bunch. My first thought (and my friends) was Golden and I will look there as well. I don't know much about Wheatridge other than Ron Kiefel's shop is there, and Ron was really good to me at open house (therefore that will be my LBS if at all possible). I'll be looking there as well. I don't know anything about Arvara, but I'll see what I can learn about it.

I appreciate you offer to help me find some loops, I'll take you up on it when the move gets closer. I like anything when on the Legend, but when my wife and I are on the tandem, we will probably be avoiding huge climbs.

Mtnflycaster: I've heard Boulder is nice, but I've also heard it is expsensive and a bit far from the airport. I'll have to check it out myself when I get out there.

Do you still have the Independence? I love Durango and I want to do some touring down your way. I don't know if I can move everything out there, but I'll certainly be bringing the IF.

Bud: Cool, Louisville is now on the list. I'll check it out.

I'll probably be doing some work out of the Denver office before the move, so I hope to drive around and see some of these places.

mtflycaster
01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes. Boulder housing is expensive, but worth it (being in town) if you can swing it. Otherwise, look at outskirts, e.g., Louisville, Gunbarrel, Lyons, etc. Louisville is a good option.

Figure on 1 hour to the airport from this area. The more important issue, I think, would be the length of your daily commute.

I am still in Durango. Lived in Boulder for 8 years, though, so I know the area pretty well.

I do have the IF. One of these days I will post picks. Looking forward to a real tour of some type this Summer.

I get to Denver/Boulder about once per month. So, let me know when/where you land. Check out the Ironhorse ride for Memorial Day weekend down here in Durango!!!! It's a fun ride!! http://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com/road.html

Have fun checking it all out and email me with any questions.

Pete

Tailwinds
01-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Yes. Boulder housing is expensive, but worth it (being in town) if you can swing it.

Ditto that Boulder is very expensive. It's a cool little town, though, with the expected hip college-town vibe. Lots of great cycling -- but there's lots of great cycling in all the other areas I mentioned as well.

I recommend Schwab Cycles for road bike maintenance and excellent service. I always know who is working on my bike there b/c it is a small shop without the high employee turnover of some of the other shops.. I never have the long waits and sporadic customer service that some of the HUGE shops in town have. However, Bicycle Village in Aurora has another favorite mechanic of mine -- and great prices.

scrooge
03-20-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm thinking about a job in Denver that would have me living/working near the heart of the city (from what I can tell--I know nothing about Denver and haven't visited yet, have only looked at the location on "google Earth"). Would this be the end of cycling for me unless I want to drive out of the city? What's it like biking in the city? Am I going to have to take up running if I move there?

Tailwinds
03-20-2006, 12:41 PM
No, it will be a new beginning to cycling! I start my rides from the downtown REI all the time. The Cherry Creek Bike Trail runs right by downtown and hooks up w/several other trails. Using the CC trail, you will be convenient to LOTS of great cycling destinations. Check out www.dbtc.com or do a search for bike trails in Denver.

scrooge
03-20-2006, 01:03 PM
No, it will be a new beginning to cycling! I start my rides from the downtown REI all the time. The Cherry Creek Bike Trail runs right by downtown and hooks up w/several other trails. Using the CC trail, you will be convenient to LOTS of great cycling destinations. Check out www.dbtc.com or do a search for bike trails in Denver.

Thanks for the tip. I just checked on Mapquest, and apparently I'd be about 6 miles from the REI store (near I-25). I guess riding on bike paths is something I'd have to get used to.

Bud
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just checked on Mapquest, and apparently I'd be about 6 miles from the REI store (near I-25). I guess riding on bike paths is something I'd have to get used to.

The cycling is great. You don't have to restrict yourself to the paths- just use them to get to the roads you want to ride. From the area you described (if it's S of REI), you could ride paths to Chatfield reservoir near the SW corner of Denver and then up Deer Creek Canyon, which opens up an awesome network of roads to ride.

There are great rides everywhere. PM some of us who live out this way or check in with some local shops when you get here. My favorite LBS is Wheat Ridge cyclery, imho.

Welcome. . .

adavis
03-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Check out the Applewood neighborhood. It spreads across Wheatridge, Lakewood and Golden. The homes are nice, and the mountains are only a few miles away. It is right off I70 and an easy drive to the airport.

mtflycaster
03-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Agree re. Applewood...

...and it is close to the Coors brewery !! :banana: :banana:

crossjunkee
03-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Park Hill. We considered several neighborhoods when we moved to Denver. Park Hill is very close to the airport, 20 minutes, in rush hour. We're basically due West of Stapleton. Try getting to the airport from West of downtown, from the Boulder area, or South. I have to say, traffic here is out of control.

From my driveway to the top of Lookout Mtn. it's 22 miles. I mostly ride alone during the week, and I hate it. There's plenty of rides on the weekends, but I can't seem to find a nightly training ride, or casual group ride in the metro area. If anybody knows of one please let me know. I miss the nightly crits that happened in the midwest.

Bud
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Park Hill. We considered several neighborhoods when we moved to Denver. Park Hill is very close to the airport, 20 minutes, in rush hour. We're basically due West of Stapleton. Try getting to the airport from West of downtown, from the Boulder area, or South. I have to say, traffic here is out of control.

Man, the traffic here is nothing. I lived in Houston for three years and THAT was some bad traffic (sorry, H-town folks, but I'm happy to have moved away from there :) ). And getting to the airport from Boulder isn't bad at all if you take the NW tollway. It costs about $6 each way, but it's worth it.

We also have an excellent bus system. My wife takes the express from Boulder to LoDo each day for work. It's cheap, fast and convenient. The bus is great for me to get in to Boulder each day too. Be sure to consider the RTD when you're deciding on where to live. The buses are bike friendly, too.

mwos
03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm in S. Lakewood. East of us is Wadsworth with all the shopping we need, west is a lot of green space. Driving I'm about 15-20 from REI downtown (non rush hour)

I'm 1.5 mi from the Bear Creek trail. From the house I can ride to REI downtown, Golden, Redrocks, Chatfield. We do a loop from the house to Golden, down the Clear Creek trail, to Platte River, to Bear Creek trail and back home. Its a 70 mile loop. I can ride through Bear Creek park to C470 trail east to Platte River and back up the Bear Creek. I can also ride over to Cherry Creek but am not exactly sure of the route.

For mtn biking Bear Creek Park has trails as does Green mtn. I can ride to both.

I can walk to the gym and walk or ride to the grocery and drug stores. There's even a Performance bike shop about 2 mi from here. Also, a bus line nearby. The next branch of light rail is scheduled come out this way.

I'm a newbie in town, a little over a year and have discovered a lot of road riding with the DBTC (Denver Bicycle Touring Club)

We have easy access to the mtns, 5 mi to C470, are 45 min from the airport and 1:20 from the ski areas.

BTW, there is a house for sale behind me.

We have some fox and coyote as neighbors but no mountain lions! :)

Kathi

Dave
03-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Your criteria to live within 12 miles of downtown is not realistic. Most everyone posting has suggested locations much further away. Boulder has significantly higher than average housing costs, and there is no cheap place to live in the Denver area. Moving from the Kansas City Metro area (Overland Park), I got a new and slightly larger home, but it cost 50% more.

As for cycling without driving, that's what I can easily do from Highlands Ranch. We have wide roads with 4-6' wide shoulders to accomodate cyclists. It's a planned community with 80,000 residents, that will max. out at 100,000. Even living toward the east side of Highlands Ranch, it's only 11 miles to Wadsworth and Deer Creek Canyon Road. Four miles up Deer Creek and you're on a real mountain climb.

Most urban locations have little dedicated space for cyclists, although the Denver metro area as a whole has more bike paths than is common. Getting to them might be the problem. Riding bike paths is extremely boring, IMO. Now that I've had a taste of the mountains, it's all I want to ride. I consider the paths only a way to get to the real riding. I see a great many folks driving over to Deer Creek Canyon Road to start a ride. I do this a few times a year, usually just in the early season when I want to concentrate on climbing and avoid the 22 mile round trip commute.

My wife commutes to 17th and Lawrence from Highlands Ranch. Taking I-25, it's a 25 mile drive that takes 35 minutes in the early morning and 45-60 in the evening rush hour. Getting to the airport in 45 minutes isn't too tough, even from some pretty remote locations. The drive to the airport, taking E-470 (toll road) is about 40 miles from Highlands Ranch but it does go fast on E-470.

Depending on your budget and the type of housing desired, check out the area around I-25 and Lincoln Avenue. Most of the housing is pretty pricey, but there are a lot of new apartments, and townhomes going up in the area. The light rail from this area to downtown is almost finished. We didn't pick an area that's close enough to the light rail for convenience. My wife tried it a couple of times and found that it would add at least an hour per day to her commute. The other problem with this area is that it's quite a few more miles (east) from the mountains. Unless you want the majority of your ride to be on bike paths, it's not ideal. I do believe that I read of some criterium type training rides somewhere in the vicinity (no longer my cup of tea).

mwos
03-22-2006, 11:28 AM
It all balances out!

Even though we paid more for housing here, our property taxes are lower than they were in Cincinnati. As retirees we pay less income tax and if you know where to shop sales taxes are high 4% to low 5 %. Cincinnati was 6 1/2 %. Homeowners insurance went up due to possiblity of hail damage, but auto went down. License plates for our older Jeep and Civic went down but for my new CRV was very high.

Gasoline taxes went down, it was 10% higher in Ohio. We couldn't figure out what Ohio used the money for but here you can see them using it to clear the mtn passes and highways of snow.

Lottery money in Ohio was used for schools, so they claimed, and who knows what. Lottery money here goes to open space and trails and you can see the results.

In the 6 county area surrounding Denver, .4 % of the sales tax goes to building RTD (light rail) and .1 % of sales tax in Jefferson County goes to open space (buying new land or to build new bike or hiking trails).

Yes, the trails get boring, but at least they go somewhere and when I ride by myself I feel safer on the trails than the country roads around Cincinnati.

No place is perfect, and I only have Ohio to compare, but I like my location here, the weather, the people and the bike riding.

Kathi