PDA

View Full Version : OT Help me save 300

verticaldoug
09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
As a follow up the HS Football team thread, I thought I'd post this.

http://helpmesave300.com/

The gist of the story is about 300 teenagers broke into his house over Labor Day weekend and had a massive party. Damage was done, things were stolen. The owner, ex-football player, decided to start a website, and ask for an apology. Instead, some parents threatened him with a lawsuit when he reposted party pix from their facebook pages and twitters.

In response, Brian Holloway has told the Sheriff to file charges.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20130926_ExNFL_player_Charge_teens_who_trashed_my_ NY_home.html?id=225352922

My buddy in Hawaii sent me the link from the Star Advertiser in Honolulu. I know many on this board are from the upstate/Albany area. What's the local scuttlebutt?

To some extent, the teenagers were probably trying to copy Project X. The guy is lucky they did not burn down his house.

weiwentg
09-26-2013, 02:38 PM
If my kid were one of them (don't have any yet), they would be grounded for months. No lawsuit.

Richard
09-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I have a ten year old, so he is not that far away from the age of the kids that did this. Were he to do something like this, he would knock on that man's door and work for him until he (the owner) decided he had made reparations. If he lost a year of his free time, so be it.

tch
09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
The gist of the story is about 300 teenagers broke into his house over Labor Day weekend and had a massive party. Damage was done, things were stolen. The owner, ex-football player, decided to start a website, and ask for an apology. Instead, some parents threatened him with a lawsuit when he reposted party pix from their facebook pages and twitters. .

ARE YOU SH*TTING ME?!?!?!?!
Charge all the kids and then charge their parents for enabling them to become irresponsible a$$holes.

cachagua
09-26-2013, 07:47 PM
I think my favorite part is doing something as blatantly, unambiguously against-the-law as this, and then photographing yourself doing it and showing everybody the photos.

I thought crime was something you didn't want everybody to know you did -- you'd do everything possible to hide the fact. But perhaps I'm very old-fashioned. . .

Ahneida Ride
09-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Tully unbelievable .... really is ....

William
09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
He tried to organize a clean up before a charity event that was scheduled on his wrecked property and invited the kids involved to pitch in and make some restitution. Out of the two hundred or so involved, only one came forward (four according to another article) to help clean up.:crap:

My kids arses would have been there if they had been involved in any way.

William

Keith A
09-27-2013, 10:26 AM
I think one of the biggest problems we face with many of the youth today is illustrated by this one guy's tweet "so glad my parents don't give a $%@# what do". Another example of this is when my oldest daughter taught at an elementary school in a lower income area in Orlando -- in her class of 20+ children, only a few parents actually cared what their kids were doing in school. The rest of them were happy to have state funded day care.

While there will always be kids that get into trouble even with the best of parents...I think we have an epidemic of parents who either don't care or don't know how to be parents.

cachagua
09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
An epidemic of parents who either don't care or don't know how to be parents. . .

Let's go with option 2 (option 1 is subsumed under that anyway; not caring constitutes not knowing how).

A couple of men I know wanted to adopt, a few years back. The hoops they had to jump through! Background checks and psychological evaluations, verification of employment and income, social workers came and inspected their home, had to take parenting classes, on and on. But if you're a man and a woman -- hey, congratulations, is it a boy or a girl?

Maybe requirements like those should be applied across the board? But it's politically unpalatable -- voters would never hold still for it.