PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel rubbing on the fork tips

s4life
09-26-2013, 12:56 PM
I have a set of R-Sys SLRs that are giving me trouble. The hub encasing of the front wheel is rubbing on the fork tips. I was thinking in getting two thin small washers to be installed between the wheel and the hub cap. This will definitely make the rubbing go away, but I am not sure if it will affect riding or safety in any way.. has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,
Axel

Lewis Moon
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I have a set of R-Sys SLRs that are giving me trouble. The hub encasing of the front wheel is rubbing on the fork tips. I was thinking in getting two thin small washers to be installed between the wheel and the hub cap. This will definitely make the rubbing go away, but I am not sure if it will affect riding or safety in any way.. has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,
Axel

Pics. Really.

kramnnim
09-26-2013, 01:10 PM
The hub flanges must be quite high? Spacers might affect how well the skewer grips the dropouts, but it's not like there is as much side load as a rear wheel...

Lewis Moon
09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
The hub flanges must be quite high? Spacers might affect how well the skewer grips the dropouts, but it's not like there is as much side load as a rear wheel...

Really fat fork?

Scooper
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Really fat fork?

That's the only thing I can think of, or maybe the dropouts are positioned toward the outside of the fork blades? I'd really like to see a photo.

RedRider
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
I have had this problem a couple of times. A few fork dropouts have this issue but not all. Photos would help. What hub/wheels and which fork?

Peter P.
09-26-2013, 08:00 PM
I've heard of this happening before with certain combinations of hubs, fork ends or frame assembly. I even heard of this happening with a Richard Sachs frame and Richard's response to the owner was just as suggested; install a thin spacer on the offending side.

As long as you can find the appropriate dimensions for the spacer, adding 0.5-1.0mm on each side will not be a problem for any fork.

Wheels Manufacturing (http://wheelsmfg.com/axle-spacers.html) makes them in many I.D.s; ask your local bike shop to order what you need.

s4life
09-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Yeah fat fork.
Wheels are r-sys slrs and fork is colnago flash. I will have to get a new fork but in the meanwhile I am not sure if I should ride with a couple of extra washers or not. I got the right size ones too from Home Depot ..heh

Lewis Moon
09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah fat fork.
Wheels are r-sys slrs and fork is colnago flash. I will have to get a new fork but in the meanwhile I am not sure if I should ride with a couple of extra washers or not. I got the right size ones too from Home Depot ..heh

Did you buy the wheels new? Put a set of calipers on the front flanges and measure...100mm? I can't believe Colnago would build a fork with clearance that tight. When you tighten the QR, do you pull the fork tips in?

e-RICHIE
09-27-2013, 02:43 PM
I've heard of this happening before with certain combinations of hubs, fork ends or frame assembly. I even heard of this happening with a Richard Sachs frame and Richard's response to the owner was just as suggested; install a thin spacer on the offending side.

You heard this ^, and that was my response!
I need some evidence so I know you're not confusing me with someone.
Thanks.

Peter P.
09-27-2013, 07:05 PM
You heard this ^, and that was my response!
I need some evidence so I know you're not confusing me with someone.
Thanks.

Geez; I apologize but I'd need a lobotomy to find where I put that memory. I do remember it was a rear wheel and not the front that was the problem so that could be part of the confusion versus the OP's front hub issue.

Now that my skull has been opened, I think the issue really was the chain was grazing the seatstay in the small cog on a 'cross frame you built, but the owner was using larger small cog than the frame was built for. It may very well have been a second hand frame as well. You suggested a spacer to cure the problem.

Hope I didn't go too far astray. Does the story sound familiar? Maybe from the V-Salon?

e-RICHIE
09-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Geez; I apologize but I'd need a lobotomy to find where I put that memory. I do remember it was a rear wheel and not the front that was the problem so that could be part of the confusion versus the OP's front hub issue.

Now that my skull has been opened, I think the issue really was the chain was grazing the seatstay in the small cog on a 'cross frame you built, but the owner was using larger small cog than the frame was built for. It may very well have been a second hand frame as well. You suggested a spacer to cure the problem.

Hope I didn't go too far astray. Does the story sound familiar? Maybe from the V-Salon?
No one who has raced with us has ever used a cog larger than a 12t, and most of the cassettes ours sponsors supply have a 12t or 11t as stock. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cassette here with a 13t bottom cog. The cx team frames have enough space for a 12t and a 46t outer. Even if you assemble a conventional 52t or 53t road outer ring, the angle changes for the worse. But, the units all leave here as assembled bicycles, so we never have the same issues one might were he to use parts not in the team pool.

Cinci Jim
09-27-2013, 09:01 PM
This is a known condition for r-sys front wheels, at least the early sets. Slip a thin washer on both sides, you might need to flex the fork a little to fit the wheel in. This is what I did on a F3 fork and no worries since.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Peter P.
09-28-2013, 04:36 AM
Even if you assemble a conventional 52t or 53t road outer ring, the angle changes for the worse. But, the units all leave here as assembled bicycles, so we never have the same issues one might were he to use parts not in the team pool.

Yeah, that's what it was-the owner was trying to run road-sized chainrings on the 'cross frame which resulted in the chain brushing the seatstay. In any event, the solution was the same as the OPs dilemma; added spacers.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

s4life
09-28-2013, 05:49 AM
This is a known condition for r-sys front wheels, at least the early sets. Slip a thin washer on both sides, you might need to flex the fork a little to fit the wheel in. This is what I did on a F3 fork and no worries since.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't know this. I don't think it was only an issue for earlier models however. Mine is a R-sys SLR 2012. Anyway, I guess the thin spacers underneath the hub cap will work for the time being. Will try to get a star fork later on, if I can find one for under $300 :(

Thanks for the feedback y'all

Axel
PD. Just finished my Colnago Master X light build, will post photos here and in my original thread later today or Monday -- most likely Monday however, the weather is unbelievable so this weekend I'll be riding for as long as I can manage :)

s4life
09-28-2013, 11:52 PM
I took some pics today of the 'fix' for the people who may run into a similar problem and of my newly built bike: Colnago master extra light with campy SR11 and R-sys SLR wheels.. I took her today out for a ride for the first time. it was a good day to say the least :) . Any feedback would be appreciated

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/9992910104_d2edf69b64_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/9992876955_6337e47460_b.jpg

s4life
09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
fixed the links:)