PDA

View Full Version : Problem running Campy 11-sp chain on 10-sp chainrings?

DRZRM
09-26-2013, 12:27 PM
So, kicking and screaming, I've finally been offered a deal too good to turn down and I've upgraded from Campagnolo 10 speed to 11 speed on my road bike (more parts for the CX bikes). I have everything I need except for cranks, and I'm planning to switch parts over soon (or in the spring after putting wet miles on the Record 10 one last time, who knows). I'm currently running a nice set of Record 10 cranks. Do I need to upgrade the cranks/chainrings, or will an otherwise 11-speed group play nicely with the 10-speed rings? Peter?

Alternately, if anyone had a source for those new Campy mid-compact chainrings (the 36-52 that fit a compact crankset) at a reasonable price I'd switch from my regular to some spare compact cranks I have around.

sandyrs
09-26-2013, 12:41 PM
So, kicking and screaming, I've finally been offered a deal too good to turn down and I've upgraded from Campagnolo 10 speed to 11 speed on my road bike (more parts for the CX bikes). I have everything I need except for cranks, and I'm planning to switch parts over soon (or in the spring after putting wet miles on the Record 10 one last time, who knows). I'm currently running a nice set of Record 10 cranks. Do I need to upgrade the cranks/chainrings, or will an otherwise 11-speed group play nicely with the 10-speed rings? Peter?

Alternately, if anyone had a source for those new Campy mid-compact chainrings (the 36-52 that fit a compact crankset) at a reasonable price I'd switch from my regular to some spare compact cranks I have around.

I run a campy 11 mix with origin 8's 9/10 chainrings, 53-38, and it shifts just fine. if it works with those things, it certainly should work with the higher quality record 10 rings you have.

firerescuefin
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
You're good to go my man...Peter has chimed in on this before

kramnnim
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I have a 52t compact Campy chainring if you decide to go that route. It's a black TA Nerius.

thwart
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Both my 11 spd bikes have 10 spd UT Chorus compact cranks... because I'm cheap.

Works a treat, as they say across the pond.

FlashUNC
09-26-2013, 09:47 PM
You'll be fine. Have that setup on my Della Santa with no issues.

gone
09-26-2013, 10:15 PM
OK, I'm going to go against the conventional "you'll be fine" responses thus far. Here's the config: All record 11 (including chain) except for a record 10 crank. Occasionally when dropping from the big ring to the little ring the chain would lodge between the chainrings (not engage the teeth of the little ring). This would happen most often when on a cog to the right of the cassette (toward the 11) but note that I was not crosschained when it would happen e.g., out of 11 cogs I'd be on the 7th. The chain didn't become stuck between chainrings, it'd just not engage and I'd "spin". Usually took shifting the cassette toward a larger (more teeth) cog to get the front to engage.

Didn't happen all the time, or even often but it did happen and it happened in a few situations where not being able to pedal was scary.

Edited to add: fixed it by putting an 11 speed crank on that particular bike and moving the 10 speed crank to an otherwise 10 speed drivetrain.

nighthawk
09-27-2013, 06:12 AM
If you want to put one foot in... you could always put 11 speed rings on your 10 speed crank... and that will work just fine, too. As long as you stay CT or Standard.

oldpotatoe
09-27-2013, 07:28 AM

Which LH/front shifter? Chorus and above or older Ultrashift-no problema. Athena Powershift, won't work so well.

TA Campag specific chainrings...nice, not expensive..

DRZRM
09-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Record with the red "11," not sure of year.

I guess I'll start off sticking with my Record 10 39/53 assuming it will work fine and I don't get the adverse shifting that "gone" did. I still may try out the Campy mid-compact at some point, just to see if I like the gearing better (you can get them loose from Amazon for about $180 total, 52-110 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJXMKLI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3SNLLVFZ6ABAC), 36/110 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJXMKCC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A16QDZ1XG7GVFM)).

I could also resolve this cheap if I had a spare set of compact Campy 10 speed rings by moving some cranks around from a CX bike, and switching my road bike to a proper Record 11 compact crank I have on a the Zanc CX frame I use for dirt road riding. I figure with all the CX racing on 38/44 someone must have their 34/50 110 rings. Maybe I'll do a WTB. Anyway, thanks everyone (especially Peter) for all the help.

Which LH/front shifter? Chorus and above or older Ultrashift-no problema. Athena Powershift, won't work so well.

TA Campag specific chainrings...nice, not expensive..