PDA

View Full Version : All Black Kit - Be Careful!

mgm777
09-26-2013, 10:20 AM
This morning, about 7:45, I was driving due East on a popular tree lined county road that is known for being a favorite cyclist route into and out of Boulder. The sky was clear and I was driving into the rising sun, with my car's sun visor down and sunglasses on. On this particular curved portion of the road, the tall trees cast dark shadows intermittently across the road. Suddenly, I approached a cyclist who was wearing an all black kit, including long black tights, black bike, and black helmet. He was riding safely in the bike lane, but man, I didn't see him until the very last minute. If he was riding in the road, I'm not sure I would have seen him in time. This is a road I ride almost every day. I like to think I am particularly attentive to other cyclists since I ride often. However, today I was completely surprised by this cyclist. Given the conditions, this guy was effectively invisible. For me, this was a wake up call to not wear an all black kit.

cachagua
09-26-2013, 10:45 AM
THANK YOU! Wearing black to go bike riding is huge where I live. How is it not obvious that this is suicidally stupid, not to mention irresponsible? I want to say to the black-wearers, "There are all these people driving cars, really trying to see you -- won't you give them a little help?"

I've begun referring to it as "the cloak of invisibility".

(It might have been about a year or so ago, but the last time I saw the cover of a bike-riding magazine the photo was of a rider wearing head-to-toe black, leg over his bike and ready to dive into traffic. I guess that's part of the problem.)

professerr
09-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Unless I'm in a good sized group, I won't ride without some neon on me. I wish that the major manufacturers would offer neon stuff.

Tony T
09-26-2013, 10:48 AM
I use this at all times:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5o0SDdFkoY5G_UuyP3Uo7nD53-7-61bY3L3o8tVDSVMFBvDd0

Idris Icabod
09-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Not just the colour of the kit with the low sun. My friend was hit by a school bus turning into him last week whilst wearing a bright orange kit, driver said he didn't see him with the sun directly in his eyes. Luckily no major injuries bar a bit of lost skin but he was very lucky.

54ny77
09-26-2013, 10:55 AM
was just having this conversation the other day with a pal, after looking at my kit (largely black with small red & white accents). i bought an all white vest and blinky tail light later that day, and called an lbs to set aside a day glo green one for me when they come in.

conclusion: i'd rather be visible and alive than smartly attired and flattened. life is short, a fact I've come to realize all too much lately, unfortunately.

Lewis Moon
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Not just the colour of the kit with the low sun. My friend was hit by a school bus turning into him last week whilst wearing a bright orange kit, driver said he didn't see him with the sun directly in his eyes. Luckily no major injuries bar a bit of lost skin but he was very lucky.
Sunrise and sunset are the worst times for visibility. Period.
I had a car make a left in front of me when the sun was at my back. I was wearing bright, neon pink. Unless you are actually emitting light, you'll never compete with the sun in those situations. No matter what color you wear.
It's up to a rider to ride defensively in those situations.

Formulasaab
09-26-2013, 11:06 AM

+1
Black kit isn't the issue. Drivers can't see anything, no matter what it is, when driving directly into the sun.

I'm especially aware of this around this time of year, when I am often chasing the sun trying to get a ride in before it gets too dark.

Lately, I'm discovering how many of the roads I ride are aligned with the setting sun this time of year. I'll ride over a crest and not be able to see the road 10 feet in front of me because of the sun. It is rather disconcerting.

Lights. Bright ones. That's your only hope. I use this one on "bright blink" mode:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSim6eFCsdbAd3ruPPv4U0AdhmUwX0 LioOlPXBCV8Y-x4Uw1kN7Uwc41jCYjfL5mpd2nTAYqwPr&usqp=CAY (https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/referer:products%7Cindex%7Clights%7Ctail-lights)

professerr
09-26-2013, 11:06 AM
I use this at all times:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5o0SDdFkoY5G_UuyP3Uo7nD53-7-61bY3L3o8tVDSVMFBvDd0

Those blinkies are great and I use them front and rear. But they tend to be pretty directional. Add a big swatch of goofy neon -- drivers that might otherwise have pulled a left hand turn right in front of me instead giggle at me like I'm some sort of runaway circus clown. Perfect.

avalonracing
09-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Those blinkies are great and I use them front and rear. But they tend to be pretty directional.

LED bike lights are often way too directional. For instance I use one of those Blackburn Flea lights that are picture and I mount it to my seatpost with the included strap. But because of the angle of the post it points too far down. I modify it by putting a small piece of rubber behind the bottom of the light to level it and it also stops the built in metal clip from scratching my post.

Otherwise cool little light.

Veloo
09-26-2013, 11:14 AM
I got my hands on a couple of these 2 years ago and they have been great.

http://www.sportful.it/fra/pe12/cycling/protection.php?id=1100974

pakora
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Yeah I specifically have no black bike gear (except bibs) but the sun is a major factor.

I recall a biker got killed here in the AM rush hour traffic a few winters ago and wasn't charged even though he plowed over the cyclist from behind without slowing down, specifically because he was driving eastbound as the sun was rising.

pitonpat
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
With respect to color...I always wear bright colors. Red, yellow, neon green. My son and I have the same dark green jerseys from my daughter's team kit, and one day while riding behind him (as usual!) along the shores of Lake Champlain, I realized that the color of the jersey blended perfectly with the roadside foliage! I couldn't even see him when he passed into the shade. My green jersey was shredded in a recent crash, so I no longer have to even think of wearing that one.

Lights? I use a tiny Knog white blinkie in my headtube to make oncoming drivers aware of me, and red seatpost blinkie along with a tiny round blinkie that came free(?) with my new LG Quartz helmet. It velcros to the adjustment knob at the rear. My son says it shows up well in all conditions plus, it's up higher where overtaking vehicles may take greater notice.

oddsaabs
09-26-2013, 11:52 AM
There are a couple rules many of us old timers try to adhere to. One is start a ride into the headwind and return with the tailwind. The other is always return with the setting sun to on your back. When the two are in conflict, the setting sun wins.

I suppose this applies to the rising sun as well, it's just I don't get up that early very often.

Hawker
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Just a thought with those little flea lights and similar; in addition to mounting one on your bike, consider clipping one to your back jersey pocket. You'll never know it's there but it gets up higher into the driver's line of sight and it moves a bit with your body to make it even a bit more visible. Just a thought.

Formulasaab
09-26-2013, 12:04 PM
There are a couple rules many of us old timers try to adhere to. One is start a ride into the headwind and return with the tailwind. The other is always return with the setting sun to on your back. When the two are in conflict, the setting sun wins.

I suppose this applies to the rising sun as well, it's just I don't get up that early very often.

+1
I was going to mention this in my reply earlier, but it assumes several things...

- Excellent local knowledge
- Flexibility in terms of route (hard to do on a commute, easier on a recreational ride)
- Roads that allow such choosiness

I think of it as a challenge and part of choosing a good and enjoyable route.

ergott
09-26-2013, 12:28 PM
I just mounted these for tricky lighting conditions. L&M lights have a pulse setting that's easier on the eyes than a flash. I use that when it's real dark. I use the flash setting when it's brighter so the headlight stands out more. Both the front and rear have flashing ambers on the sides.

The rear is visiable through the stays at all angles. The rear red has a very wide spread. You get what you pay for. That's about $400 in lights, but worth every penny to me.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/The-bikes/i-Zwfm7MK/0/X2/IMG_20130922_184034_646-X2.jpg

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/The-bikes/i-zBprG45/0/X2/IMG_20130922_183953_866-X2.jpg

InspectorGadget
09-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I use this one on "bright blink" mode:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSim6eFCsdbAd3ruPPv4U0AdhmUwX0 LioOlPXBCV8Y-x4Uw1kN7Uwc41jCYjfL5mpd2nTAYqwPr&usqp=CAY (https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/referer:products%7Cindex%7Clights%7Ctail-lights)I, too, use the Serfas Thunderbolt on the front and rear of my commuter bike and they are on at all times.

One of the guys I work with was getting some grief from a co-worker about all the lights he has on his bike and his person. He said "But you saw me, didn't you?" He has 7 lights.

MattTuck
09-26-2013, 12:46 PM
It's up to a rider to ride defensively in those situations.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Being aware of your surroundings is something we can all do better. High alert when the sun is directly ahead (if you're having to squint/deal with the sun, you know the drivers coming from behind are also) or behind you.

Good point with black, especially with shadows. Guess I should only be wearing it on cloudy days with flat light.

sparky33
09-26-2013, 12:51 PM
I wear the neon reflective dork sash over the kit du jour.

one evening someone actually pulled over his car and got out in order to flag me down to tell me how nicely visible I was.

http://www.amphipod.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/440_lg_1.jpg

Benny Profane
09-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Just a thought with those little flea lights and similar; in addition to mounting one on your bike, consider clipping one to your back jersey pocket. You'll never know it's there but it gets up higher into the driver's line of sight and it moves a bit with your body to make it even a bit more visible. Just a thought.

Yeah, my after work rides are getting pretty dark these days. I'm lit up like a Christmas tree.

ergott
09-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I wear the neon reflective dork sash over the kit du jour.

one evening someone actually pulled over his car and got out in order to flag me down to tell me how nicely visible I was.

http://www.amphipod.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/440_lg_1.jpg

The problem with a reflective solution is that it requires the driver to have their lights on to work. All you need is someone without lights or daytime running lights and you won't be seen.

retrofit
09-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I would add that black jerseys also disappear in early morning coastal fog; even a white jersey is more visible than a black jersey.

Llewellyn
09-26-2013, 05:31 PM
A while ago I was out driving and could see a flashing red light that must have been about 300 metres or more ahead of me. Thought to myself that it must be a good light to be that visible - as I drove past, I saw that the rider had what looked like a standard seatpost-type light mounted to his helmet.

So these days I have one of those 1 watt flashing lights strapped to the rear of all my helmets and put it on while I'm riding as well as a seatpost mounted Knog Blinder

Columbus SLX
09-26-2013, 05:36 PM
I, too, use the Serfas Thunderbolt on the front and rear of my commuter bike and they are on at all times.

Me too. I use it on bright blink mode. One thing, you MUST have it fully charged when you set out for a ride or else when you return it'll likely be off. It just shuts down when the battery gets low so I keep it charging all the time.

cfox
09-26-2013, 06:18 PM
blinkies on the seatpost work, but I have to ask, why do I see so many people riding with white blinkies on their handlebars? What does that accomplish other than blinding oncoming traffic? I saw a guy once with a blinky attached to his left shoe. It looked like a giant firefly bouncing around. Not effective.

Louis
09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
My apologies to forumites who may have done this in the past, but you'd really have to be an idiot to ride in all-black kit, regardless of the conditions. If you play rugby for New Zealand, OK, I can see it, but cycling on roads shared with cars? No way.

christian
09-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Trouble is, I commute by bike. And I'm a ninja. Sash looks like a good idea though.

tch
09-26-2013, 06:26 PM
blinkies on the seatpost work, but I have to ask, why do I see so many people riding with white blinkies on their handlebars? What does that accomplish other than blinding oncoming traffic? I saw a guy once with a blinky attached to his left shoe. It looked like a giant firefly bouncing around. Not effective.

All you have to do is read the report from the NH collision thread. Driver came from in front, crossed line and.... I LIKE seeing blinkies on the front of a bike; it lets me know who's on the road and reminds me to be extra cautious.

Louis
09-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Trouble is, I commute by bike. And I'm a ninja.

If you're a ninja, then you must have eyes in the back of your head, so you can see the Escalade bearing down on you. I think you'll be OK - just do a super-bunny-hop as it approaches, and it will pass harmlessly beneath you. Problem solved.

Louis
09-26-2013, 07:24 PM
How about this, for recreational kit?

I'm really not into star-gazing, but WOW!

Can you guess who it is? (hint: it was taken in 1978, but based on the cars you could probably have guessed something pretty close to that)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/09/26/t-magazine/26dogdance-williams-slide-G7QM/26dogdance-williams-slide-G7QM-jumbo.jpg

swPArider
09-26-2013, 07:46 PM
+1
Black kit isn't the issue. Drivers can't see anything, no matter what it is, when driving directly into the sun.

I'm especially aware of this around this time of year, when I am often chasing the sun trying to get a ride in before it gets too dark.

Lately, I'm discovering how many of the roads I ride are aligned with the setting sun this time of year. I'll ride over a crest and not be able to see the road 10 feet in front of me because of the sun. It is rather disconcerting.

Lights. Bright ones. That's your only hope. I use this one on "bright blink" mode:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSim6eFCsdbAd3ruPPv4U0AdhmUwX0 LioOlPXBCV8Y-x4Uw1kN7Uwc41jCYjfL5mpd2nTAYqwPr&usqp=CAY (https://www.serfas.com/products/view/669/referer:products%7Cindex%7Clights%7Ctail-lights)

got those same lights, they are very bright. mounted one to each of my seatstays, out of the way and I can still use my seatbag.

572cv
09-26-2013, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=cachagua;1425834]

.....I've begun referring to it as "the cloak of invisibility"......

If you opt for the 'cloak of invisibility', you may find yourself inside ' the cone of silence' :eek:

(you have to be an ancient cyclist to recognize that one)

thwart
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Can you guess who it is?

Robert Plant?

roguedog
09-26-2013, 09:28 PM
I never really understood the black kit. I mean.. I get that it looks nice but like others, I'd rather be seen.

I remember reading an article from Competitive Cyclist where they said they woudl never order anything other than black jackets (I think for Assos or some such) and thinking.. "Really?"

I remember riding an organized ride where it started to rain.. and then rain more and then harder. I distinctly remember the moment when I looked up the road and the only cyclists I could truly make out through the rain and the pockets of light fog were those wearing red and hi glow yellow.

Not only did this reinforce my "no black" for me thoughts but further went on to define what colors I would choose.

Louis
09-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Robert Plant?

Correct !

alessandro
09-26-2013, 09:31 PM

Can you guess who it is? (hint: it was taken in 1978, but based on the cars you could probably have guessed something pretty close to that)

[image ✂ ✂]

A Brit playing a bit of futbol stateside in a Speedo? I think this is what Spinal Tap was talking about when they said they had armadillos in their trousers.

JAGI410
09-26-2013, 09:40 PM
The timing of this thread is funny, tonight I saw a guy on on a blacked out bike with red accents, wearing an all black kit with red accents. No helmet, but red headphones. Riding like a dick in traffic, in a town where bikes are never in traffic. Future statistic or just an idiot?

texbike
09-26-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm one of those dorks that likes black kit (it matches my soul...). Surprisingly my closest calls with cars have been when I was wearing brighter kit (red, orange, and yellow jerseys).

Texbike

Kirk007
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Generalizations.... All is relative.

Yes I imagine a flourescent orange head to toe kit would be more visible in some situations, but I've ridden in all black (gasp) and lived to tell about it. Now, the black jacket has reflective bits. The black booties do as well. The black helmet often has a blinkie attached to the back. The not black bike with fenders with a bright taillight(or 2); the dinotte or dynamo driven front lights, on the commuter - fork and seat stay blinkies, these tend to make me less worried about the color of my kit; I don't think the color of the kit is the discerning factor in rider visibility. I don't go out of my way to be all black, particularly in the winter (in the summer the all black shorts and jersey simply provide high contrast to my usually ridiculously white irish complexion), but if temperature, weather and laundry conspire to put me in black shorts, tights and jacket, I don't sweat it, I just make sure other precautions are in place.

r_mutt
09-26-2013, 10:11 PM
it's not bright colors that people see well, it's contrasting colors. like yellow with black stripes.

Columbus SLX
09-26-2013, 10:17 PM
...I have to ask, why do I see so many people riding with white blinkies on their handlebars? What does that accomplish other than blinding oncoming traffic?...

They tell oncoming traffic not to turn left directly in front of you as you approach. My buddy Kelly just had this happen to him, driver pulled a quick left as he was coming down a hill, boom, t-boned the SUV. Months off the bike, pain.

Louis
09-26-2013, 10:17 PM
it's not bright colors that people see well, it's contrasting colors. like yellow with black stripes.

Perhaps, but solid neon pink, yellow, or lime jump out at me from a long way away. I suppose they contrast with everything else. (However, none of my jerseys use that scheme. Obviously safety is not my only criterion.)

Columbus SLX
09-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Perhaps, but solid neon pink, yellow, or lime jump out at me from a long way away. I suppose they contrast with everything else. (However, none of my jerseys use that scheme. Obviously safety is not my only criterion.)

+1 you're both right :)

Long range: you see brightness best
Short range: you see contrast best

There's an exhibit at the MIT museum that shows this effect. A portrait has two faces drawn on top of each other: one drawn in shadows and light, and the other in black linework. From 50 feet away, you see Einstein; as you walk towards it, the face morphs to Madonna as you perceive the linework instead of the shadows.

false_Aest
09-27-2013, 12:55 AM

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/09/26/t-magazine/26dogdance-williams-slide-G7QM/26dogdance-williams-slide-G7QM-jumbo.jpg

That's Ben Serotta!

Louis
09-27-2013, 12:58 AM
That's Ben Serotta!

He is wearing a yellow jersey...

jeffreng58
09-27-2013, 01:19 AM
.....unless you're a ninja.

All black kits aren't built for sunny days. It gets real hot.

cfox
09-27-2013, 07:15 AM
They tell oncoming traffic not to turn left directly in front of you as you approach. My buddy Kelly just had this happen to him, driver pulled a quick left as he was coming down a hill, boom, t-boned the SUV. Months off the bike, pain.

gotcha, makes sense. I've been right hooked plenty of times, but never that^

Lewis Moon
09-27-2013, 07:35 AM
gotcha, makes sense. I've been right hooked plenty of times, but never that^

Both of my tangles with cars have been exactly this.

sitzmark
09-27-2013, 07:49 AM
+1 you're both right :)

Long range: you see brightness best
Short range: you see contrast best

There's an exhibit at the MIT museum that shows this effect. A portrait has two faces drawn on top of each other: one drawn in shadows and light, and the other in black linework. From 50 feet away, you see Einstein; as you walk towards it, the face morphs to Madonna as you perceive the linework instead of the shadows.

It can be a catch-22 ... some drivers who have "issues with cyclists" see brightly colored kit much like a bullfighter's red cape. I have some black kit and ride a little more defensively when I wear it - my perception that in certain circumstances I would blend into surroundings more easily. That said, there are plenty of inattentive drivers who wouldn't notice me no matter what kit I select. Always have to be aware of surroundings and factor everything into decision making.

Ahneida Ride
09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
DiNotte tail light .....

Nags&Ducs
09-27-2013, 08:41 AM
I use this at all times:

Me too. I have been using my blinkies front and back 24/7 for the last 4 years. Unless I am in a big group ride.

BumbleBeeDave
09-27-2013, 10:44 AM
. . . I've started running my Light & Motion Viz180 micro blinkie on all rides, even daytime. It adds minimal weight to the bike and is cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

If anybody can suggest a front light that is truly as small as the L&M, rechargeable, and definitely visible on strobe in bright daylight, then I might start running that, too.

It's gotten to the point where I see at least one driver do something stupid on every ride. Every. Ride.

BBD

ergott
09-27-2013, 11:19 AM
. . . I've started running my Light & Motion Viz180 micro blinkie on all rides, even daytime. It adds minimal weight to the bike and is cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

If anybody can suggest a front light that is truly as small as the L&M, rechargeable, and definitely visible on strobe in bright daylight, then I might start running that, too.

It's gotten to the point where I see at least one driver do something stupid on every ride. Every. Ride.

BBD

I have the TAZ1200 and love it. If you don't want it on the bars, get a computer mount that puts it in front of the stem.

I use the EIS Control Center SL. It doesn't flex causing the light to vibrate every bump like plastic mounts do. It handles the weigh of a light easily.

http://hawleyusa.com/thcStore/pics/ItemSmall/COMP7822.jpg

MattTuck
09-27-2013, 11:42 AM
.....unless you're a ninja.

All black kits aren't built for sunny days. It gets real hot.

If you're riding in cold weather, that extra warmth is welcome.

jmpsmash
09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
The problem with a reflective solution is that it requires the driver to have their lights on to work. All you need is someone without lights or daytime running lights and you won't be seen.

true. but at least the ones who have their headlights on can see you better.

nothing will be 100% bombproof. if the guy wants to hit you, he will. but at least putting more reflective and active gear will increase the likelihood that the one who are somewhat blind can see us.

Tom
09-27-2013, 12:12 PM
I ride naked. That catches their eye.

BumbleBeeDave
09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
. . . that so much winter kit in particular is black. I just can't believe that the color alone causes it to absorb enough solar energy to make any appreciable difference in staying warm--especially considering how many winter days have no sun at all and how early it gets dark in so many riding regions. I make even more of an effort to wear bright colors in the winter.

But the topper is raincoats.

It's raining, it's gray, it's darker earlier in climates where it rains more in the colder months. Drivers are peering out through rain-streaked windshields . . . and all these companies are trying to sell me a BLACK raincoat? Yeah, many of them have a few small reflective accents or piping. Like that's supposed to help?

NO. @#$%^. WAY.

I just don't get it.

BBD

Hawker
09-27-2013, 12:19 PM
I ride naked. That catches their eye.

You think a lot of yourself. :)

MattTuck
09-27-2013, 12:27 PM
. . . that so much winter kit in particular is black. I just can't believe that the color alone causes it to absorb enough solar energy to make any appreciable difference in staying warm--especially considering how many winter days have no sun at all and how early it gets dark in so many riding regions. I make even more of an effort to wear bright colors in the winter.

But the topper is raincoats.

It's raining, it's gray, it's darker earlier in climates where it rains more in the colder months. Drivers are peering out through rain-streaked windshields . . . and all these companies are trying to sell me a BLACK raincoat? Yeah, many of them have a few small reflective accents or piping. Like that's supposed to help?

NO. @#$%^. WAY.

I just don't get it.

BBD

1. Drivers in your area probably keep calling the police in the winter reporting that they saw a zebra on their drive.

2. Agree about the rain coats. Castelli Gabba jacket atleast comes in day glo.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/CST/CST2456/YLFLUSI.jpg

3. Black in winter does help at the margin.

4. Black rain jackets are way more Pro. Remember the classics season and Paris Nice? We had no idea who was riding, just a bunch of black jackets. ;)

Pyramor
09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I won't venture out without bright lights in daytime. I got the designshine front and rear a over a year ago. My wife chides me for spending money on them, but have found that I get more clearance, not to mention peace of mind. With the flash patterns available they can be easily seen for more than a mile. It amazes me that I see very few riders out on the road with lights in daytime. Cheaper than one visit to the ER.

ergott
09-27-2013, 12:44 PM
true. but at least the ones who have their headlights on can see you better.

It's the ones that don't put their lights on when they should that I worry about most.;)

Broid
09-27-2013, 02:29 PM
I bought one of these...

http://www.3feetplease.com/

Rueda Tropical
09-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I dont know that in daylight with the sun in your eyes the color of the cyclist kit matters. You need a tail light that is much brighter then one you would use at night to be seen.

Grant McLean
09-27-2013, 02:36 PM
I dont know that in daylight with the sun in your eyes the color of the cyclist kit matters.

Especially if the driver has their head down, texting.

-g

professerr
10-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Just bought a couple pairs of de feet hi viz orange and neon yellow socks. Makes me look like a OCD clown practicing semaphore. Awesome.

http://www.defeet.com/759529/products/Aireator-D-Logo-5-Hi-Vis-YellowHi-Vis-Green.html

Holy moly. Just found out they come in hi viz pink too:

http://www.defeet.com/764452/products/Cyclismo-5-Hi--Vis-Pink.html

So you Raphistas can match your socks AND get some safety in.

aaronka
02-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Searched around the site and this thread to see if there were suggestions for a high vis yellow vest of preference?

I am looking for something to wear over my kit, e.g., over a Rapha pro jacket or a typical long sleeve jersey - something that is very visible but not another full on layer. But not flappy either.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome!

bobswire
02-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Searched around the site and this thread to see if there were suggestions for a high vis yellow vest of preference?

I am looking for something to wear over my kit, e.g., over a Rapha pro jacket or a typical long sleeve jersey - something that is very visible but not another full on layer. But not flappy either.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome!

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/v-shape-reflective-vest-lattice-reflective/162207315.html

lucasfarr92
02-21-2015, 08:11 PM
It looks badass, but I'm always scared at the start of my ride from cars not seeing me. Reflection is good. Lights are better

bcgav
02-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Padraig has chimed in on the matter, although I'm reluctant to post a link as I suspect a lot of his controversial articles are click-bait.

http://redkiteprayer.com/2015/02/the-trouble-with-black/

djg21
02-21-2015, 09:42 PM
I purchased a couple Hi-Viz jerseys from http://elevengear.com. Much of my riding is after work, in the late afternoon early evening. I prefer to be highly visible.

IMO, however, shorts should be black. Reflective/colored side panels and accents are fine, but the bodies have to be black.

02-21-2015, 11:15 PM
For winter, if you have any say in picking team clothing, get a fluorescent yellow Castelli Gabba long-sleeve jersey and then get custom printing in reflective silver ink with sponsor logos, team name, whatever. You won't believe how visible it is. The custom printing runs about $20 per jacket, and can be done on yellow rain jackets as well. It looks really sharp and professional and it is highly highly visible.

F150
02-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Just bought a couple pairs of de feet hi viz orange and neon yellow socks. Makes me look like a OCD clown practicing semaphore. Awesome.

http://www.defeet.com/759529/products/Aireator-D-Logo-5-Hi-Vis-YellowHi-Vis-Green.html

Holy moly. Just found out they come in hi viz pink too:

http://www.defeet.com/764452/products/Cyclismo-5-Hi--Vis-Pink.html

So you Raphistas can match your socks AND get some safety in.

Rapha sweetness

mcteague
02-22-2015, 08:07 AM
Check out motorcycle gear! Manufacturers make stuff in black before any other option and, often, offer jackets only in black.

Tim

bcgav
02-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Check out motorcycle gear! Manufacturers make stuff in black before any other option and, often, offer jackets only in black.

Tim

According to this study about safety for motorcyclists wearing hi-vis, hi-vis isn't necessary as safe as once thought:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visibility-safe-fluorescent

peteskipslegday
02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
But what am I to do!? I look so good in all black. Kidding.

Living in a metropolitan area though, I think lights both front and rear, are sufficient. If there are incompetent drivers around, frankly you're going to get hit whether you're wearing LED lights or all black. Meh, roll dice.